Origin of thermal radiation in humans.

In summary, the body emits radiation in the form of EM waves in order to regulate its internal temperature. This radiation comes from the atoms in the body and is responsible for the heat we feel.
engnr_arsalan
hi, i m new to this forum,this is my first post,i have recently started studying heat transfer. i m am little bit confused about the origin of thermal radiation in human beings.i mean radiations are emitted when an electron jump from a shell/orbit which is far from the nucleus to a shell which is nearer to nucleus. let say from M shell to K shell..so my question is that are these activities are taking place in our body on atomic level like in DNA or whatever?
your guidance will be much appreciated..

Science news on Phys.org
Human beings, like other mammals, are warm blooded. The body's internal metabolism generates heat by the oxidation of food consumed by the organism. In order to be able to cool the body, the internal temperature of the body is higher than the surrounding environment. This thermal difference allows the body of the organism to regulate its internal temperature.

Chemical reactions in cells produce the energy. The chemical reactions would involve the outermost (valence) electrons in the constituent elements; C, N, O, H, which form numerous organic molecules. One should be able to find data on the energy of different atomic bonds in molecules.

See this article on metabolism - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metabolism

Of course, the internal body is relatively low temperature - ~98-100°F, while surface temperatures can be lower depending on the environment.

engnr_arsalan said:
hi, i m new to this forum,this is my first post,i have recently started studying heat transfer. i m am little bit confused about the origin of thermal radiation in human beings.i mean radiations are emitted when an electron jump from a shell/orbit which is far from the nucleus to a shell which is nearer to nucleus. let say from M shell to K shell..so my question is that are these activities are taking place in our body on atomic level like in DNA or whatever?
your guidance will be much appreciated..

The first thing you learn about how EM radiation interacts with matter is the Hydrogen Atom. An electron is in a state of Energy near a proton - i.e. a system with just two charges. The energy gaps for the H atom correspond to visible light photon energies. There are many other combinations of charges such as all the other elements and the combinations of atoms (molecules) and even huge numbers of atoms in solids (metals and people). Any change of the arrangement of charges within these more complicated systems can involve the emission or absorption of photons. At any temperature, there will be vibrations of the atoms within an object as they change shape and position and also movements of electrons; these are Energy Transitions. For an object at body temperature, the majority of the transitions correspond to energies in the IR part of the spectrum. Chemical processes in the body are the source of the energy for these transitions. No chemical reactions (death) would mean that the temperature would drop to room temperature.

sophiecentaur said:
No chemical reactions (death) would mean that the temperature would drop to room temperature.

whao..this reminds of thermal imaging of death..i saw it on NAT GEO..thank you very much sir

1. What causes thermal radiation in humans?

Thermal radiation in humans is primarily caused by metabolic processes that occur within the body. Our cells constantly produce heat as they carry out various functions, resulting in the emission of infrared radiation.

2. How does thermal radiation affect body temperature?

Thermal radiation plays a key role in maintaining body temperature. As the body radiates heat, it cools down and this helps to regulate our internal temperature. When the environment is cooler than our body, we radiate more heat to maintain a constant temperature. On the other hand, when the environment is warmer, we may radiate less heat to prevent overheating.

3. Can thermal radiation be measured in humans?

Yes, thermal radiation can be measured in humans using specialized equipment such as infrared cameras or thermal imaging devices. These tools can detect and measure the amount of infrared radiation being emitted by the body, which can provide valuable information about body temperature and heat distribution.

4. Is thermal radiation the same as body heat?

No, thermal radiation and body heat are not the same thing. Body heat refers to the internal heat produced by metabolic processes, while thermal radiation specifically refers to the infrared radiation emitted by the body. However, thermal radiation is a form of body heat loss and plays a crucial role in regulating body temperature.

5. Can thermal radiation be harmful to humans?

In normal circumstances, thermal radiation emitted by the body is not harmful to humans. However, exposure to high levels of thermal radiation, such as from intense heat sources or radiation therapy, can be damaging to our cells and tissues. It is important to maintain a balance of thermal radiation in the body to prevent overheating or excessive cooling.