Questions for a college student in astro.

In summary: We also help astronomers figure out where things are, and what they're made of. We study the universe, and the things in it. Overall, I think it's pretty important. We're able to answer some pretty big questions, and that's something to be proud of.
brucephy
Sorry for disturbing, i am a college student and feel interested in physics.
So i would know some fundamentals Q about ASTROPHYSICS.
1) why do we study in astrophysics and what are our targets and what we want to get?
2) why astrophysics is divided in theoretical and observatable? what is the important for them respectively?

The questions may seem to be a little bit stupid, but i really what to know.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
1) because we want to expand the knowledge bubble, plus we find it interesting!
2) theory and observation do not necessarily need to be divided. I believe it is more beneficial to make an observation, and then do some theory to explain what you see. theory is important because it explains what we see, whilst observation is important because it finds new things to explain. it is not often that a theory comes along that is proven later by observation. (string theory may prove me wrong, though i doubt it!)

there are no stupid questions, you should always feel free to ask.

brucephy said:
1) why do we study in astrophysics and what are our targets and what we want to get?

It depends on who you are. If you're a politician, astronomy is motivated by public relations. If you're a physicist, it's a means of testing your models. If you're an astronomer, then the motivation is usually just the pursuit of knowledge.

Most people agree that there aren't currently many practical applications to astronomy, so you need to decide whether or not that's important to you before entering the field.

2) why astrophysics is divided in theoretical and observatable? what is the important for them respectively?

This is sort of an old division, but it's still partially meaningful. Traditionally, the observers collected data and made rather simple, general statements about it. Edwin Hubble is the classic observer because he's famous for discovering "Hubble's Law", a simple linear fit to the velocity-distance relationship for galaxies, by observing nearby galaxies with a powerful telescope. A theorist, however, takes these results and tries to explain them physically. In the case of "Hubble's Law", the relationship was later described theoretically by Einstein's general theory of relativity.

In modern astronomy, there are probably two more categories: instrumentalist and data analyst. Instrumentalists are responsible for building and designing the telescopes/satellites/detectors that we use to observe astronomical objects. They're sort of specialized engineers. Data analysts take pre-observed data sets (usually large ones), and run a vast array of analysis techniques to pull as much information out as possible. They're sort of specialized statisticians.

The best astronomers, of course, do all of the things I mentioned above, but you can make a living by settling into one of those niches.

Thank you for your kind reply. let me learn much
In fact, i want to know more what astrophysics can contribute to human??

brucephy said:
In fact, i want to know more what astrophysics can contribute to human??

Mostly pure knowledge. We're in the business of answering questions which, until very recently, were purely philosophical. Where did we come from? Where are we going? When did it all begin? How long will it all last?

In addition, we help physicists test the theories that are used to build things, like reactors, computers, and, unfortunately, weapons.

1. What is astrobiology?

Astrobiology is the study of the origin, evolution, distribution, and future of life in the universe. This field combines principles and methods from various disciplines such as biology, astronomy, chemistry, geology, and planetary science to understand the potential for life beyond Earth.

2. What are some potential career paths in astrobiology?

Some potential career paths in astrobiology include research positions at universities or government agencies such as NASA, teaching positions, science communication and outreach, and working in the private sector on projects related to space exploration and the search for extraterrestrial life.

3. How does astrobiology relate to astronomy?

Astrobiology is closely related to astronomy as it utilizes astronomical data and observations to understand the conditions and potential for life on other planets and moons. This includes studying the properties of exoplanets (planets outside our solar system) and their potential habitability, as well as the search for biosignatures (indicators of life) in other worlds.

4. What skills are important for a college student interested in astrobiology?

Some important skills for a college student interested in astrobiology include a strong background in science and mathematics, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, research and data analysis abilities, and excellent communication skills. It is also helpful to have a curiosity about the universe and a passion for exploring questions about the origin and nature of life.

5. How can I get involved in astrobiology research as a college student?

There are several ways for college students to get involved in astrobiology research, such as seeking out internships or research opportunities at universities or government agencies, joining astrobiology-focused clubs or organizations, attending conferences and workshops related to the field, and networking with professionals in the field. It is also important to take relevant courses and pursue independent research projects to gain knowledge and skills in astrobiology.