Making Print Plates with Copper Etching and Household Materials

In summary, the conversation discussed different methods for etching copper using household materials. Recommendations included using kits from art stores or finding someone who does laser engraving. Ferric chloride was also mentioned as a possible option, but there may be issues with acid undercutting. Ultimately, using toner and laser engraving was found to be an effective method for etching copper.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What is the best way to etch copper with house hold materials? It is for making print plates.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
This topic came up recently...look for a thread started by DocToxyn here. Gokul and I both recommended "kits" readily available from art stores (not sure about what would be available in Holland though), and DocToxyn might have found something else as an alternative (not what he originally suggested in the thread, which involved some pretty nasty chemicals not readily available to the public). I can't quite remember now.

Ferric chloride is used to remove copper plating from PC board material. The copper you want to keep is masked. I don't know how deep you can remove with it. Sometimes there are problems where the acid 'undercuts' and goes underneath the mask.

Thanks, I've already tried FeCl3 and it worked :biggrin: The copper was masked with ordinary printer toner transferred from photographic printer paper to the print plate :approve:

Here is what also works:

Find someone who does laser engraving. Spray paint your copper and have them burn off the paint with the laser where you want to remove copper. I've had excellent results with this. Once etched, use laquer thinner to remove the paint.

1. What materials do I need to make a print plate with copper etching?

To make a print plate with copper etching and household materials, you will need copper sheets, ferric chloride or vinegar as an etching solution, a plastic or glass tray, a sharpie or permanent marker, and a toothpick or small paintbrush.

2. How do I prepare the copper sheet for etching?

The copper sheet should be cleaned with a degreaser such as dish soap to remove any oils or dirt. Then, use a sharpie or permanent marker to draw your design onto the copper sheet.

3. What is the etching process for making a print plate with copper?

First, protect your work surface with newspaper or plastic. Then, place the copper sheet into the tray and pour the etching solution (ferric chloride or vinegar) onto the copper sheet, making sure it covers the entire surface. Use a toothpick or small paintbrush to gently move the solution around and ensure even coverage. Let the solution sit for 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the depth of etching desired. Finally, rinse the copper sheet with water and remove the marker design with rubbing alcohol.

4. Can I use other metals for print plates besides copper?

Yes, you can use other metals such as zinc or aluminum for print plates. However, the etching process and materials may differ slightly depending on the type of metal you choose.

5. What can I use as a printing press for my copper etching print plate?

You can use a traditional printing press or a spoon to transfer the ink from your print plate onto paper. Alternatively, you can also use a rolling pin or brayer to apply pressure to the paper and create your print.