What is the Gravitational Force and Acceleration of Jupiter on its Moon Io?

In summary, Jupiter's larger mass than Earth's Moon causes a slightly weaker gravitational force between the two objects. This causes Io to move at a slightly slower rate than Earth's moon.
RubenL

Homework Statement

Io (pronounced “EYE oh”) is one of Jupiter’s moons discovered by Galileo. Io is slightly larger
than Earth’s Moon.

The mass of Io is 8.92*1022 kilograms
and the mass of Jupiter is 1.9*1027
kilograms. The distance between the
centers of Io and Jupiter is r = 4.22*10 meters.

1. Calculate the magnitude of the gravitational force of
attraction that Jupiter exerts on Io.

2. Calculate the magnitude of the acceleration of Io due
to the gravitational force exerted by Jupiter.

Homework Equations

Fg = G m1 m2/r2

Io = m1 = 8.92*1022
Jupiter = m2 = 1.9*1027
r = 4.22*10
G = 6.67*10-11

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Fg = (6.67*10-11)(8.92*1022)(1.9*1027) / (4.22*108)2

= 6.36*1022N

2. How can i find the acceleration of Io?
Do i use F=ma => a=F/m => a = (6.35*1022) / (8.93*1022) = 7.12*1043 ?? this does not seem right.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you multiplied instead of dividing in the last line of your post.

RubenL said:
Do i use F=ma => a=F/m => a = (6.35*1022) / (8.93*1022) = 7.12*1043 ?? this does not seem right.

JesseC said:
Looks like you multiplied instead of dividing in the last line of your post.

Thanks Jesse, i kept on making that mistake. Until i realized it was the way i typed it into my calculator...

Do i use F=ma => a=F/m => a = (6.35*1022) / (8.93*1022) = 0.71m/s2?

However, i still would like to know if i have used to correct method and achieved the correct result?
Considering Earth's moon's gravitational attraction (roughly 1.6m/s2), compared to Io the larger moon, you would expect Io to have a slightly greater gravitational attraction due to its greater mass. Therefore i am assuming that my answer is still not correct.

Last edited:
RubenL said:
Considering Earth's moon's gravitational attraction (roughly 1.6m/s2), compared to Io the larger moon, you would expect Io to have a slightly greater gravitational attraction due to its greater mass. Therefore i am assuming that my answer is still not correct.
As you can see from the equations you have used, the acceleration of the satellite towards the parent body is independent of the mass of the satellite. It depends on the mass of the parent and distance from it. Although Jupiter is so much more massive than the Earth, Io's extra distance from it more than makes up for this.

haruspex said:
As you can see from the equations you have used, the acceleration of the satellite towards the parent body is independent of the mass of the satellite. It depends on the mass of the parent and distance from it. Although Jupiter is so much more massive than the Earth, Io's extra distance from it more than makes up for this.

I see, i was not taking the distance into consideration in my assumption. Io is farther away from Jupiter than is the Moon from Earth.Therefore Io's force of gravity will be less then i expected.
In addition I have only calculated the acceleration of the force of gravity towards Io's surface and not that of Io's acceleration towards the parent body Jupiter.

Therefore i haven't answered the question correctly. I can not seem to figure out the answer to this question, i feel like i am missing some key point of information... i understand i must calculate the Fg of Jupiter and then divide it by the distance "r" (assuming i also figured out how to implement the strength decrease of Fg per distance).

RubenL said:
I have only calculated the acceleration of the force of gravity towards Io's surface and not that of Io's acceleration towards the parent body Jupiter.
No, you did it correctly (apart from the numerical error). You computed the force of attraction between Jupiter and Io, then you divided by the mass of Io get the acceleration Io experiences as a result of that force.

Thats right, i calculated the Fg between m1 and m2 and divided it by Io's mass to produce the acceleration of that force.
Not solely Io's Fg, because in order to do that i would have needed to calculate "Fg = GmIo / r2" (where r would be the radius of Io's center to its surface).

Thank you for clearing that up :)

1. What is the relationship between gravity and Jupiter's moon Io?

The force of gravity is responsible for the orbit of Jupiter's moon Io around the planet. Gravity is the attractive force between two objects, and it is what keeps Io in its orbit around Jupiter.

2. How does the gravity on Io compare to Earth?

The gravity on Io is much weaker than Earth's, with only about 1/6th of the strength. This is due to Io's smaller size and mass compared to Earth.

3. Why does Io have a volcanic surface?

Io's volcanic surface is a result of the tidal forces from Jupiter's strong gravity. These forces cause the moon to experience constant stretching and squeezing, resulting in intense internal heat and volcanic activity.

4. How does the gravity on Io affect its tides?

The strong gravitational pull from Jupiter causes very high tides on Io, which can reach up to 330 feet in height. These tides are caused by the stretching and squeezing of Io's surface, similar to how the moon's gravity affects Earth's tides.

5. Could humans survive on Io due to its low gravity?

Although the surface gravity on Io is lower than Earth's, it is still not enough for humans to survive without some form of artificial gravity. Io's thin atmosphere and extreme volcanic activity also make it an inhospitable environment for human life.