Undergraduate Mini-thesis Topic(s)

In summary, the conversation revolves around an undergraduate student seeking help in coming up with a topic for their "mini-thesis" project in their Fundamentals of Physics III course. The student mentions that their previous physics courses only covered a limited range of topics, making it difficult to think of a topic that can be done experimentally with the available equipment. They also mention that their instructor has not approved any topics yet and the deadline is approaching. The expert suggests looking at previous successful projects for inspiration and advises the student to develop independent thinking skills.
patricktheadik
Undergraduate "Mini-thesis" (project-level) Topic(s)

Hi. Just to give you some background, I am in my third year in college and am currently taking up Fundamentals of Physics III (which is primarily about relativity, quantum mechanics, wave nature of particles, wave mechanics, and statistical mechanics--but please note that we have not discussed any of these yet since our semester has just got started). I've previously taken Fundamentals of Physics I and II (which are only about Newtonian Mechanics, Waves, and Thermodynamics; Electromagnetism and Optics)--basically only two-thirds of the topics in University Physics.

Awhile ago, our laboratory instructor in the said course announced our project for the semester and it would be by group--that is, to conduct a 'mini-thesis' (it's actually a thesis, but he said he'd call it "mini-thesis" because it would be done by group), which is due three months from now. In addition, he asked us to submit three topic proposals on or before the day after tomorrow, so I just quite couldn't think of a good one without getting any help. It could be in relation to any of the concepts included in University Physics (introductory physics, I guess). It just needs to be experimental rather than theoretical. An example he gave earlier is re: the dependence of temperature on water depth [up to 5 meters].

P.S. What makes it more difficult for me to think of a topic is the sad fact that we couldn't afford to use expensive equipment like electron accelerators and such (since I only study in a state university in the Philippines), which, in turn, substantially limits the range of topics that our group could use for our 'mini-thesis'. The common apparatuses that we've only used so far were motion detectors, frictionless air tracks, oscilloscopes, resistors, multimeters, and the like.

I would really appreciate your help. Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Good day,

Are you required to perform the actual measuring like the one your lab instructor suggested?

Yes, we are required to do so (thanks, btw, for responding :) ).

Last edited:
Of all the physics you studied, which things did you like best?

Not Good.
Your instructor should have a long list of topics or activities for your mini-thesis. The activities to be picked and practiced must be performable using the department's current equipment.

micromass said:
Of all the physics you studied, which things did you like best?
I guess I liked Classical Mechanics and Thermodynamics the best.

One of the points behinds exercises like this is to help you to develop some independent thinking skills.

One thing that can help you is to look at what projects have been done in previous years and perhaps to take note of which ones were the most successful, and then build on those - try to come up with some kind of a unique twist.

But it's already due tomorrow and our instructor hasn't approved a single topic yet :(

Could you maybe expand on one of these experiments from "Atmosphere, Ocean and Climate Dynamics", Plumb and Marshall.

patricktheadik said:
But it's already due tomorrow and our instructor hasn't approved a single topic yet :(

OK, so it was "asked a while ago", due tomorrow, and you asked us yesterday. Is it our fault that you're short on time?

1. What is an undergraduate mini-thesis?

An undergraduate mini-thesis is a research project that students undertake during their undergraduate studies. It is a smaller version of a traditional thesis and typically focuses on a more specific topic.

2. How long should an undergraduate mini-thesis be?

The length of an undergraduate mini-thesis can vary depending on the requirements of the specific program or institution. However, it is generally shorter than a traditional thesis and can range from 15-30 pages.

3. How do I choose a topic for my undergraduate mini-thesis?

Choosing a topic for an undergraduate mini-thesis can be a challenging process. It is important to select a topic that interests you and aligns with your academic and career goals. You can also seek guidance from your professors or advisors for topic suggestions.

4. What is the difference between an undergraduate mini-thesis and a regular thesis?

An undergraduate mini-thesis is typically shorter in length and focuses on a more specific topic compared to a traditional thesis. It also may not require as much original research as a regular thesis. However, both types of theses follow a similar structure and require critical thinking and analysis.

5. What are the benefits of completing an undergraduate mini-thesis?

Completing an undergraduate mini-thesis can provide several benefits, including gaining hands-on research experience, developing critical thinking and analytical skills, and demonstrating your knowledge and expertise in a specific area of study. It can also be a valuable addition to your resume or graduate school applications.