Best free software to make to do lists and get things organized?

• Thread starter Moose_Ryder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Software
In summary, there are many options available for task management and organization, such as Sticky Notes or OneNote for Windows users, Todoist Task Manager for cross-platform use, or MyPhoneExplorer for syncing with a smartphone. Another option is setting up a personal wiki, which allows for easy organization, attachment adding, and prioritization. Overall, it's important to find a solution that works best for you and your needs.
Moose_Ryder
Is there any, at all? Open to suggestions.

No witty remarks like "a slip of paper and a pen"

Computer science news on Phys.org
Hi Moose_Ryder
You could try emacs + org-mode it's very nice :)

oli4 said:
Hi Moose_Ryder
You could try emacs + org-mode it's very nice :)

Ok, got try it.

BTW, it's not a note pad with a few more buttons right?

Oh no, definitely not, but if you don't already know emacs, and have not much interest for programming, than maybe you won't want to try it. the learning curve is very very steep (very rewarding though)

Moose_Ryder said:
Is there any, at all? Open to suggestions.

Any? Are you joking?

If you are using Windows, then Sticky Notes already is already installed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12yIwqrZOAc

If you are using Windows 8, then a free updated version of Office OneNote is available, which is a much more flexible alternative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTOkeH5VZXQ

If you don’t like MS, there’s free cross-platform Todoist Task Manager (iOS, Android, WWW, Mac OS, Windows).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K9pQHoeBd8

Personally, I use MS OneNote (& Outlook).

win8-10.jpg

AND this little beauty – MyPhoneExplorer (free).

It has a Task list (with alarm!) and sync to my phone (SonyEricsson or Android). I always have my updated tasks, meetings, etc, with me wherever I go (with sync to Outlook, Google, Sunbird, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Rainlendar, Lotus Notes, etc).

http://cdn.androidtapp.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/MyPhoneExplorer-Desktop-Software-Calendar.jpg

And there are lots of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makagiga...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've tried just about everything over the years, from text files to Remember the Milk to enterprise-level issue tracking software.

The best solution I have found is to install my own Wiki. On my hosted web account, I use Pmwiki, but any wiki will do. It's easy to make hierarchical lists, add attachments as documentation, prioritize, and it's extremely flexible.

Just a thought. Most web hosting services make some kind of wiki software available, and it usually isn't too grisly to install. Pmwiki uses PHP, so you have to learn a smidgen of PHP to tune it. It can be passworded or open, or a mix of both, and that's easy to control also.

Good luck!

Most Smartphones come with many options available too.

For example, I use a Samsung Galaxy S3 and it comes with a Planner and Memo App pre-installed. If you don't like those, there are many other apps that can be downloaded and installed. Perhaps you could find one that has the features you want.

I also use Google Calendar. All upcoming events are added to the calendar and I specify that a reminder should be emailed to myself two days before the event.

I also happen to use Tadalists. I signed up ages ago, so can still access it, but they are no longer accepting new sign-ups.

harborsparrow said:
I've tried just about everything over the years, from text files to Remember the Milk to enterprise-level issue tracking software.

The best solution I have found is to install my own Wiki. On my hosted web account, I use Pmwiki, but any wiki will do. It's easy to make hierarchical lists, add attachments as documentation, prioritize, and it's extremely flexible.

Just a thought. Most web hosting services make some kind of wiki software available, and it usually isn't too grisly to install. Pmwiki uses PHP, so you have to learn a smidgen of PHP to tune it. It can be passworded or open, or a mix of both, and that's easy to control also.

Good luck!

This. 1000 times.

What is the best free software to make to-do lists and get things organized?

The best free software for this purpose is subjective and may vary depending on personal preferences and needs. However, some popular options include Todoist, Trello, Wunderlist, and Google Tasks.

Can I access my to-do lists on different devices?

Yes, most free software for to-do lists and organization offer cross-platform compatibility, allowing you to access your lists on different devices such as smartphones, tablets, and computers.

Are there any collaboration features in free to-do list software?

Some free to-do list software offers collaboration features, such as assigning tasks to others, sharing lists with team members, and setting deadlines. However, these features may be limited compared to paid versions of the software.

Is it possible to set reminders for tasks on free to-do list software?

Yes, many free to-do list software offer reminder features, such as notifications and alarms, to help you stay on top of your tasks and deadlines.

Are there any privacy concerns with using free to-do list software?

As with any software, it is essential to read the privacy policies and terms of use before using a free to-do list software. Some software may collect and use user data for marketing purposes, while others may offer more privacy options for users.