Quantum Numbers for a couple of electrons Help needed

In summary: and the p orbital is filled and then the m and s orbitals are filled with electrons due to the fact that they have a negative spin. so essentially for the 4p2 you would have: n=4, l=2, m=-1, s=1/2
mathzeroh
Good evening scholars! i just had a couple of questions about QNs.

ok so the problem says:

Give the sets of {n, l, m, s} for the electrons in:
a) [tex]4p^2[/tex]
b) [tex]6s^2[/tex]

i just want to see if I'm on the right track. here's what i put for the first one (a):

n= 4
l= 1
m= -1, 0
s= +/- 1/2

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Keep in mind that m is from -L TO +L
m would be -1, 0 , and +1
your spin is fine

what about the [itex] 6s^2 [/itex]
so obvious n =6,
p = ?? for the s shell waht is the P value?
and thus what is the m value and s values correspondingly?

true, but i thought since it said that only the first two orbitals of the "p" subshell contain electrons, i thought that since the lowest level energy shells get filled up first, only the -1, and 0 would be the only possible orbitals where electrons are located. is that wrong of me? :frown:

as for the [tex]6^2[/tex], ok let's see:
n=6 like you said, l=0 and m=0 (because there's only one orbital in the "s" subshell so that means that it is in the 0 orbital - or middle i suppose?). s= plus or minus 1/2 and l-

mathzeroh said:
true, but i thought since it said that only the first two orbitals of the "p" subshell contain electrons, i thought that since the lowest level energy shells get filled up first, only the -1, and 0 would be the only possible orbitals where electrons are located. is that wrong of me? :frown:

as for the [tex]6^2[/tex], ok let's see:
n=6 like you said, l=0 and m=0 (because there's only one orbital in the "s" subshell so that means that it is in the 0 orbital - or middle i suppose?). s= plus or minus 1/2 and l-

WHOOPS SORRY

my mistake, for the 4p2 you are correct the p orbital would be filled up for the -1 and 0 part
however, since you fill in teh positive spins in first both the electrons have positive spin

1. What are quantum numbers?

Quantum numbers are a set of four numbers that are used to describe the energy level, orbital shape, orientation, and spin of an electron in an atom.

2. How are quantum numbers assigned to electrons?

Quantum numbers are assigned based on the solutions to the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of electrons in an atom.

3. What do the principal quantum number and angular momentum quantum number represent?

The principal quantum number (n) represents the energy level of an electron and the angular momentum quantum number (l) represents the shape of the electron's orbital.

4. How many possible values can the spin quantum number have?

The spin quantum number (s) can have two possible values, +1/2 or -1/2, representing the two possible spin orientations of an electron.

5. How do quantum numbers affect the behavior of electrons in an atom?

The combination of quantum numbers for an electron determines its specific location and behavior within an atom, including its energy, orbital shape, and spin.