Solve the Puzzling Mystery of the Speeding Plane

In summary, the GPS on the plane was giving incorrect information because of the speed of sound. The plane did not break the sound barrier, but it did exceed the speed of sound.
Algr
I was debating putting this up in General Physics, but since I already know the answer, I thought I'd put it here. I also put this in some other places to see how different forums would react - my own little experiment.
===========

A true story:
I once took a car GPS with me on an airplane.

It worked! It was fun watching the little box frantically recalculating routes and travel times while the plane happily ignored roads and obstacles. (I turned that part off after a while.) But near the end of the trip, something strange happened.

I started using the GPS about 20 minutes into the flight, and at first, it told me that the plane was moving at about 550 mph. As time passed, the plane's speed slowly and steadily increased - through 600, 700, and as the plane started descending, it reached it's peak of about 790 mph. The speed of sound is just 767 mph, and this ordinary commuter passenger plane was exceeding it! At first I thought that the GPS must be wrong, but then I realized it was quite accurate.

How this was possible? What was really going on?

BTW: The GPS was able to correctly state my altitude. (Or at least was giving me a number that seemed reasonable.)
Edit: Oops, I see there is a brain teasers section. Can this be moved?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's my guess:

The airplane entered the jet stream such that it had a very significant tailwind. Its true airspeed, relative to the atmosphere, was nothing atypical. But its airspeed relative to the ground increased significantly due to the addition of the tailwind speed.

Likes 1 person
Yup! Figures that this place would get it first.

Someone in another forum got rather angry with me about this. He is sure the question is totally unfair!

Algr said:
Someone in another forum got rather angry with me about this. He is sure the question is totally unfair!

He's probably a chemist :tongue:

The speed of sound is just 767 mph
To make it even worse, the speed is lower with lower temperatures ;).

So now I am taking flack in that other forum, with two people telling me it was a trick question. Could I have asked it better?

the other forum said:
The plane really was going 790 mph. The speed of sound is just 767 mph. Yet plane did not exceed the speed of sound. How is this possible?
I think you should have used 'the plane did not break the sound barrier' instead of 'plane did not exceed the speed of sound.' in the above clarification.

(Note: I can only see the google cache version of the thread from 3 days ago, as it requires a log-in to view the threads.)

1. How can we solve the puzzling mystery of the speeding plane?

To solve this mystery, we need to gather all the available evidence and analyze it carefully. This may include eyewitness accounts, flight data, and any other relevant information.

2. What are some possible explanations for the speeding plane?

There are a few potential explanations for a speeding plane, such as a mechanical issue, pilot error, or intentional actions. It's important to consider all possibilities and gather evidence to determine the most likely cause.

3. Is it possible for a plane to exceed its maximum speed?

While it's unlikely, it is possible for a plane to exceed its maximum speed under certain conditions. For example, if the plane is experiencing strong tailwinds or is in a steep descent.

4. How can we determine the speed of the plane?

The speed of a plane can be determined by analyzing flight data, such as ground speed, airspeed, and altitude. This can also be cross-referenced with eyewitness accounts and other evidence.

5. What role can technology play in solving the mystery of the speeding plane?

Technology, such as radar and flight data recorders, can provide valuable information in solving the mystery of the speeding plane. It can help pinpoint the location and speed of the plane at different points in time and provide insights into its flight path.