Dealing with Dust Mite Allergy: Questions Answered

• Thread starter Averagesupernova
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dust
In summary, it's important to use a mattress cover, to wash your sheets regularly, to get a new pillow every few months, and to use an air or water mattress if you can.
Averagesupernova
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Just found out I am allergic to dust mites. This news explains a lot in my health as of the last several years. Does anyone deal with this? I would appreciate any input on how to deal with what would seem like a losing battle concerning bedding. I can deal with getting rid of all the carpet and things like this. Wondering if an air or water bed is a good answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yep, it's a big issue for me too. Here's what I suggest.

Assume the mattress you're using is a thriving ecosystem full of mites because if you haven't been using a mattress cover, it most certainly is. If you can afford it, get a new mattress.

Whether or not you can get a new mattress, you need to start using a mattress cover - one that will block mites. This is critical!

Wash your sheets weekly in hot water, if possible. Wash the mattress cover in hot water about once a month.

Get a new pillow every few months. They are very cheap at places like Target - think I paid $6 for my last one. Use a pillow cover - it's different from a pillow case (this is tough for me, I can't find one I really like, but you might have better luck).

I have to take antihistamines every night or I'll get hives. Generic Benadryl works great and it's cheap. Bonus: it makes you sleepy.

Try using DOT (disodium octaborate tetrahydrate) I think the household formulation is a powder and is sold as Polybor. I've used a different formulation, not for inside use, for termite-proofing wood. This is not borax.

The toxicity of DOT is very low. DOT plus lots of vacuuming helps immensely. And do follow lisab's advice!

Oh dear, I hate those things, luckily not allergic. Yes, get the mattress and pillow covers and WASH. Follow Jim and Lisab's advice!

I never use a pillow anymore so that is an easy fix. As far as a mattress cover goes I have always used one but will need to get something that won't let those little critters through. I already cranked the water heater temp up another 10 degrees specifically for washing bedding. It is another one of those learning experiences in life. I would love to get a new mattress but I see that as a very temporary fix since the one I have now is quite new. I am leaning towards something that they cannot burrow down into like air or water. Maybe I will just learn to sleep on a sheet of plywood. LOL

I had that pre-10. My parents rushed me to the emergency a bunch of times when the allergies gave me severe asthma attacks. The decided to desensitize me (that was in the final human trial stage at the time, so the cost was partially funded for us). I had to take regular jabs of dust mite antigens. It went from a needle every 3 days, to every week, then every month. Took around 2 years in total. My doctor had to monitor my reactions closely. I don't think I had any serious allergic reactions to dust mites afterwards.

Mattress cover, pillow cover, duvet cover: I have them all. Keeps the mites out of your bedding (or in, I don't think you need a new mattress), the mites that live on top you can get rid off by washing regularly. Airing your bedding is also important, so don't make your bed when you get out: leave it open so that moisture (which mites like) evaporates.

How about your couch and chairs? They usually are made out of fabric, get ones with a cleanable surface.

I talked to my sister who uses an inexpensive air mattress and they have good luck with it. Need to replace every couple of years because of leaks but for the price of a new mattress you can replace them quite often and have something new every couple of years. I bought a couch recently. And of course it is fabric. I didn't want it but the girlfriend twisted my arm til I gave in. Now that she is gone I should probably get the couch gone too. The most I use for a pillow is a folded up bath towel which can go in the wash every couple of days if necessary. The way I see it, the air mattress can be washed down periodically and all the other bedding can go through the washing machine. I'll get there. The allergy drugs are already improving my state of mind. Clearer thinking, better attitude and more confidence. Thanks for the replies so far everyone.

lisab said:
Yep, it's a big issue for me too. Here's what I suggest.

Assume the mattress you're using is a thriving ecosystem full of mites because if you haven't been using a mattress cover, it most certainly is. If you can afford it, get a new mattress.

Whether or not you can get a new mattress, you need to start using a mattress cover - one that will block mites. This is critical!

Wash your sheets weekly in hot water, if possible. Wash the mattress cover in hot water about once a month.

Get a new pillow every few months. They are very cheap at places like Target - think I paid $6 for my last one. Use a pillow cover - it's different from a pillow case (this is tough for me, I can't find one I really like, but you might have better luck).

I have to take antihistamines every night or I'll get hives. Generic Benadryl works great and it's cheap. Bonus: it makes you sleepy.
With regard to Benadryl (whose active ingrediant is diphenhydramine HCl), I've seen some studies linking it to Alzheimer's or dementia. This link (http://www.alz.org/professionals_and_researchers_behavioral_symptoms_pr.asp) contains the following information.

Physicians also recommend that individuals with dementia avoid over-the-counter sleep remedies. The active ingredient in many of these preparations is diphenhydramine (Benadryl®), an antihistamine that tends to make people feel drowsy. Diphenhydramine further suppresses the activity of one of the main brain cell messenger chemicals whose activity is reduced by Alzheimer’s disease.

Examples of over-the-counter sleep aids containing diphenhydramine that should be avoided include:
•Compoz®, Nytol®, Sominex® and Unisom®
•diphenhydramine is also an ingredient in many “nighttime” or “PM” versions of popular pain relievers and cold and sinus remedies (Mark44: such as Excedrin PM and others)
I don't know the full story on diphenhydramine as yet, but I'm trying to err on the cautious side until I know more.

What are dust mites and how do they trigger allergies?

Dust mites are tiny, microscopic insects that live in household dust. They can trigger allergies by producing proteins that can cause an allergic reaction in some people.

How can I tell if I have a dust mite allergy?

If you experience symptoms such as sneezing, runny nose, itchy eyes, or congestion that are worse in the morning or after being in a dusty room, you may have a dust mite allergy. A doctor can also perform a skin prick test or blood test to confirm the allergy.

What can I do to reduce dust mites in my home?

To reduce dust mites in your home, regularly vacuum carpets and upholstery, wash bedding in hot water, and use allergen-proof covers on mattresses and pillows. It can also help to keep humidity levels below 50% and to minimize clutter, as dust mites thrive in warm, humid and dusty environments.

Are there any medications that can help with dust mite allergies?

Yes, there are over-the-counter and prescription medications that can help with dust mite allergies. Antihistamines can help relieve symptoms, while nasal sprays can reduce inflammation and congestion. In severe cases, a doctor may prescribe allergy shots to help desensitize the immune system.

Can dust mite allergies be cured?

Unfortunately, there is no cure for dust mite allergies. However, by reducing exposure to dust mites and managing symptoms with medication, the allergy can be effectively managed. In some cases, children may outgrow their dust mite allergies as they get older.