My Medical Scare Story: Just Got the Call

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Medical
In summary, a person shares their experience of having a growth removed and the anxiety they felt while waiting for the results. Another person shares a similar experience of having a kidney removed due to cancer and a growth found on their femur, and the anxiety caused by a follow-up appointment. They also discuss the issue of doctors causing unnecessary anxiety in patients. Another person shares their experience of a neurologist who could not give a diagnosis and their daughter's seizure caused by medication.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I had a thingy removed a few weeks ago. I had assumed that it was just some benign growth, maybe a little fatty tumor, but the look on the doctor's face had me a bit worried; and the silence bothered me even more. Then of course I had to wait for weeks to find out. :yuck: The frustrating part is that I wasn't really concerned until after I saw the doctor. And the close proximity to the lymph glands didn't help to ease my mind much either.

Just got the call. Whewwwww!

So, do we have any other medical scare stories?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
I had a thingy removed a few weeks ago. I had assumed that it was just some benign growth, maybe a little fatty tumor, but the look on the doctor's face had me a bit worried; and the silence bothered me even more. Then of course I had to wait for weeks to find out. :yuck: The frustrating part is that I wasn't really concerned until after I saw the doctor. And the close proximity to the lymph glands didn't help to ease my mind much either.

Just got the call. Whewwwww!
That's wonderful news! Doctors really need to watch what they do and say. It's just wonderful when they frown and say "that's not good" and then leave the room. :grumpy:

That is good news! I'm glad it turned out to be nothing.

I've had one or two scares, but they weren't doctor-induced, just my own imagination running wild before I got to the doctor.

I hate the wait! Glad you got the all clear!

Five years ago I had a kidney removed due to cancer. At the same time the tumor was discovered they also found a growth on my left femur just below the hip. As far as they could tell it was benign so they just left it alone as it wasn't causing me any problem.

A couple of months back I went in for my check up, and instead of just the regular chest X-ray, the doctor decided to order up a CT scan. A short time after I got the scan, I get a calll from the Doctor's office saying that they want me to get an X-ray done of my left hip for comparison to the last X-ray I had done of it 5 years previously. They also wanted me to make a follow up appointment with my Doctor afterwards. I was this last part that got me. Generally, they would wait until after they got the X-rays back before they decided whether I needed a follow up appointment. This lead me to think that they had seen something in the CT scan which lead them to believe that the growth on my femur had changed.

A few days after getting the X-ray done, I got a call saying the the X-ray was negative and there had been no change in the growth over the last five years. I also would not need to keep my follow up appointment, just my regularly scheduled checkup in July.

Janus said:
A few days after getting the X-ray done, I got a call saying the the X-ray was negative and there had been no change in the growth over the last five years. I also would not need to keep my follow up appointment, just my regularly scheduled checkup in July.

I think the medical establishment needs to address this issue. People are mentally tortured by this sort of thing, and the system seems oblivious to this fact. Yours is unfortunately a great example of this. After all, we're not just talking about bad news, we're talking about life changing, or even life ending news.

Janus said:
Five years ago I had a kidney removed due to cancer. At the same time the tumor was discovered they also found a growth on my left femur just below the hip. As far as they could tell it was benign so they just left it alone as it wasn't causing me any problem.

A couple of months back I went in for my check up, and instead of just the regular chest X-ray, the doctor decided to order up a CT scan. A short time after I got the scan, I get a calll from the Doctor's office saying that they want me to get an X-ray done of my left hip for comparison to the last X-ray I had done of it 5 years previously. They also wanted me to make a follow up appointment with my Doctor afterwards. I was this last part that got me. Generally, they would wait until after they got the X-rays back before they decided whether I needed a follow up appointment. This lead me to think that they had seen something in the CT scan which lead them to believe that the growth on my femur had changed.

What are these people thinking? Do they really not realize the amount of unnecessary anxiety they are putting people through? Glad to hear it turned out ok.

Good news, Ivan!

No scare stories that I can recall at the moment. We did have an issue with a neurologist who treated my daughter. He could never give us a diagnosis, and therefore could not specify a prognosis. He seemed satisfied just to have us visit him periodically. We quit him for an alternative.

Actually my daughter did scare us one time with a significant seizure. The cause most likely was Welbutrin, which she took for ADD, and hypoglycemia in conjunction with another medication, which alludes me for the moment. I was on a trip when this happened, and got a call while my daughter was being treated. Needless to say, we took her off Welbutrin and started her on a monitoring program with a neurologist (not the one mentioned above).

Ivan, Janus, glad to hear all was okay with you.

Tomorrow I see a cardiologists for my heart murmur. Since my heart is pumping for two right now, I have been getting dizzy spells and my heart pounds even when I rest. The heart murmur has been with me for several years, and was never an issue during my other pregnancies, but this one it seems to be (maybe because I am over 30 now!) I don't know much about heart murmurs, but I certainly don't like the feeling of sitting down and my heart bounding. The dizziness isn't fun either.

On this topic, has anyone seen Singleton around recently? He was going in for some tests and I haven't seen or heard anything from him since then. I'm worried it might have been bad news. :frown:

I'm glad that it turned out to be nothing. Good thing that it wasn't on your digging foot; that really would have been something to worry about.
No scares from doctors, but when I had two ribs detached in a mishap I cabbed it into the emergency room because I thought that I might have torn the pericardial sac or something. Hurt like hell and I could barely breathe. No worries once I found out what it was, but it still hurt. :grumpy:

Kerrie said:

Tomorrow I see a cardiologists for my heart murmur. Since my heart is pumping for two right now, I have been getting dizzy spells and my heart pounds even when I rest. The heart murmur has been with me for several years, and was never an issue during my other pregnancies, but this one it seems to be (maybe because I am over 30 now!) I don't know much about heart murmurs, but I certainly don't like the feeling of sitting down and my heart bounding. The dizziness isn't fun either.

:frown: I hope it doesn't get too bad. Does it get bad enough that you might fall or pass out?

Kerrie said:

A murmur itself shouldn't make your heart beat rapidly, though it might just make every heartbeat felt even if it's not any faster than usual. If they haven't done so already, they should also check to rule out things like gestational diabetes and thyroid dysfunctions, both of which are somewhat common during pregnancy.

Live long and prosper, Ivan. I expect you'll live to the ripe old age of 112. Did you ever see that episode of the Simpsons where Montgomery Burns was diagnosed with everything but all of his ailments were just cancelling each other out? I think that will be the case with you when you reach the twilight years. You'll outlive us all!

Janus, gosh, I am happy to hear all is well after all the stuff you went through! Good gracious!

Kerrie, I have a heart murmur also but didn't even know about it until a few years ago. It doen't seem to give me any problems. It was a big surprise to me to even find out about it. So, when's that baby coming? It must be soon.
You must be very excited. :smile:

Moonbear, I would also like very much to hear from Singleton. I sure hope he is doing OK. Do you think anyone has sent him a PM?

Next time you see the doctor say "oh, it's you" in a disappointed voice. When he/she asks what's wrong, say you'll let them know at the next appointment.

Glad everyone is still kicking.

Moonbear said:
On this topic, has anyone seen Singleton around recently? He was going in for some tests and I haven't seen or heard anything from him since then. I'm worried it might have been bad news. :frown:

Hey!

Thanks for caring :D I figured I wouldn't start a new thread on it or anything.

Turns out it isn't cancer. The bad news? I am balding :yuck: :cry:

I'm now on Propecia :rofl:

singleton said:
Hey!

Thanks for caring :D I figured I wouldn't start a new thread on it or anything.

Turns out it isn't cancer.

Woo hoo! I'll bet you're very relieved!

The bad news? I am balding :yuck: :cry:

I'm now on Propecia :rofl:
Balding is a sign of virility, isn't it? :biggrin: Then again, putting it all in perspective of going in worrying you might have cancer, balding isn't such a bad diagnosis to come away with. :smile:

Ivan,
Good hear that everything came out ok.

Sorry for not keeping in touch. Perhaps we can get together this weekend?

Glad to hear all's ok.

Closest to a medical scare story I have is when I was younger and my brother seemed to have everything to do with meningitus except the disease (he was exhibiting most of the symptoms, but turned out to have nothing more than the flu.)

Integral said:
Ivan,
Good hear that everything came out ok.

Sorry for not keeping in touch. Perhaps we can get together this weekend?

Yes, while you were at dripping ice cream at Disneyland and playing with fish, I was facing life threatening dermatological procedures! :biggrin:

This weekend may work. I'm eating major bull doo doo on the current job, and this may create a problem, but I'll be in touch shortly.

We had to wait a year one time to be sure that Tsu didn't have AIDS. While assisting with a surgery some blood splashed into her eyes, and the patient wouldn't agree to an AIDS test! As it turned out, they wouldn't allow the test because they were JWs.

Blood splashed in her eyes?? That would be cause for a bad day!

I had my cardio appt, and they did confirm a murmur, but he was mainly concerned with the palpitations I get even at rest. So for the next two weeks, I get to wear a nifty little "event monitor" and record any episodes I get. My husband is calling me Darth Vader since I have a machine on me at all times.

MIH, baby is due Sept. 20, a ways to go, which is fine, I need all the time I can get to prepare!

Moonbear said:
A murmur itself shouldn't make your heart beat rapidly, though it might just make every heartbeat felt even if it's not any faster than usual. If they haven't done so already, they should also check to rule out things like gestational diabetes and thyroid dysfunctions, both of which are somewhat common during pregnancy.

The timing of the murmur with respect to the cardiac cycle is critical. Usually hyperdynamic murmurs (those resulting from increased blood flow in the circulation causing increased turbulence) occur during the systolic phase. The benign ones are simply called "flow murmurs". Diastolic murmurs are almost always pathological.

Good news Ivan - glad to hear it!

I've been there myself. Aged 21 I found a lump in my neck. I went to the docs, got sent for an op and it turned out I had Lymphatic cancer - Hodgkins Disease. I had it quite bad - it was in my neck, in many other nodes down through my chest and also somewhere else in my gut area (I'm not too good at Biology..!)

Anyway, I ended up with 9 months of horrendous chemotherapy - that really was awful. One of the drugs was Mustine - a solution of the stuff they gassed troops with in WW1!

I came through alright, but the problems caused by the chemo (eg wrecked stomach) still affect me today - 22 years later. They also told me I probably wouldn't be able to have kids, but after 8 years of married life... I had a daughter! Wow!

You know what though, the experience of cancer and chemo changed my life for ever. I'm a much better and more positive person for it and although I'd hate to go through it again, I can honestly say that I'm glad I had it. I now live each day as if it was my last, I love life, I have fun, I refuse to let boring or monotonous things get to me. If I dislike a job, I change it. I race motorcycles, I play computer games, I drink, I laugh, I do fun stuff, I refuse to get depressed or bored.

Life is great - live it to the full folks!

Anyway, enough preaching - great news Ivan, enjoy the future!

That sounds terrible. I'm glad to hear you got through it and were still able to have a child.

Great news Ivan!

It's amazing how often doctors scare the living daylight out their patients by not realising how much impact the way they tell something has...

1. What is the purpose of "My Medical Scare Story: Just Got the Call"?

The purpose of "My Medical Scare Story: Just Got the Call" is to share a personal experience with a medical scare and the emotions and thoughts that come with it. It also aims to raise awareness about the importance of regular check-ups and early detection in preventing serious health issues.

2. Can you give a brief summary of the story?

The story is about receiving a call from the doctor's office after a routine check-up, informing the narrator that there was an abnormality in their test results. The narrator goes through a range of emotions, from fear to denial, and ultimately finds the courage to face the situation and take necessary steps for their health.

3. How did this experience impact your perspective on healthcare?

This experience made me realize the importance of regular check-ups and not ignoring any health concerns. It also highlighted the importance of having a support system and seeking professional help when dealing with any medical issues. It has also made me more empathetic towards others who may be going through similar experiences.

4. What message do you hope readers take away from this story?

The main message I hope readers take away from this story is the importance of taking care of our health and not taking it for granted. It's essential to listen to our bodies and seek medical attention when needed. Early detection can make a significant difference in preventing or managing serious health issues.

5. Is there anything else you would like to share about your experience?

I would like to emphasize the importance of having a positive mindset and a strong support system when facing any health scare. It's also essential to trust and communicate with your healthcare providers and not be afraid to ask questions or seek a second opinion. Lastly, remember to take care of your mental health during such challenging times.