Introducing LaTeX Math Typesetting

In summary, Physicsforums.com has introduced the addition of LaTeX mathematical typesetting to their forum software. This professional-grade typesetting system allows for pleasing mathematical presentation and can be included in any post on the forum. Users can include LaTeX graphics by using the [ tex ]...[ /tex ] or [ itex ]...[ /itex ] tags, with the latter being used for inline graphics. The forum provides a pdf file and symbol reference for the most useful LaTeX commands, symbols, and constructs. The amsmath package is also available for more information. Examples of various techniques are provided, including subscripts, superscripts, and equations. Users can also use the [ tex usepackage= ] tag to include additional packages.
It seems to be due to the length of the itex element. I'll see if I can figure out what's up with it. In the meantime, please use the normal tex (not itex) tags to typeset this.

- Warren

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] a_x [/tex]

I've downloaded that pdf file with code instuctions, but there's no "non equal" sign .

Do you know the code (it's for slashed equal sign)?

[tex]\neq[/tex]

[tex]\Delta{T}[/tex]
[tex]lux[/tex]
[tex]V[/tex]
[tex]R_1[/tex]
[tex]R_{LDR}[/tex]
[tex]\simeq{6V}[/tex]
[tex]I[/tex]

[tex]I=\frac{V_{out}-V_{LDR}}{R_1}[/tex]

[tex]R=\frac{V}{I}[/tex]

[tex]\Longrightarrow[/tex]

[tex]...(1)[/tex]
[tex]...(2)[/tex]
[tex](1),(2)[/tex]

[tex]R_{LDR}=\frac{V_{LDR}R_1}{V_{out}-V_{LDR}}[/tex]

[tex]R_1=\sqrt{(10^7-\lim_{R\rightarrow 0})}[/tex]

[tex]R_{Max}[/tex]
[tex]R_{Min}[/tex]

[tex]=3162.27766[/tex]
[tex]\simeq{3000}\Omega[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\delta{y}}{\delta{x}}=\frac{9}{7.8}[/tex]
[tex]=1\frac{1}{13}[/tex]

[tex]R-R_1=m((lux)-(lux)_1)[/tex]

[tex]R-8=-1\frac{1}{13}((lux)-4)[/tex]
[tex]R=-1\frac{1}{13}(lux)+4\frac{4}{13}[/tex]
[tex]13R-14(lux)=160[/tex]
[tex]R=\frac{160-14(lux)}{13}[/tex]
[tex]R=e^{\frac{160-14ln(lux)}{13}}[/tex]
[tex]I=\frac{V}{R}[/tex]
[tex]I=\frac{Q}{t}[/tex]
[tex]ln(R)=\frac{1}{ln(lux)}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\pi}{6}(0.3)^{3}(7.07)g=\frac{\pi}{6}(0.3)^{3}(1.26)g+3\pi(0.88){u}(0.3)[/tex]
[tex]u=\frac{d^{2}}{18\mu}[\tex]
[tex]\frac{ud\rho}{\mu}[\tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought Latex did not work, but it did. The trouble seems to be with the Review message function. try [tex] \pm [/tex]8 and hit the check button. it is supposed to be plus-minus 8, but comes out f1 8. Latex does work after you send the message, tho.

Last edited:
Testing... one... two... three...

Alrighty------

Humble [tex]\pi[/tex]

John Lennon [tex]\longleftrightarrow[/tex]Yoko Ono

Rev. Jim Bakker [tex]\heartsuit[/tex] Jessica Hahn.

Beyonce' = [tex]\bigodot \bigodot[/tex]

Charlie's Angels = [tex]\bigodot \bigodot[/tex] [tex]\bigodot \bigodot[/tex] [tex]\bigodot \bigodot[/tex]

[tex]\exists[/tex] Elvis iff [tex]\infty[/tex]= -33.043034.

Hello Dave. I am your HAL-9000 heuristic, algorithmic digital computer. Would you like me to open the pod bay door? [tex]\bowtie \perp \parallel \frown[/tex]

Last edited:
Anyone knows where can I download LaTex as a ZIP file? My download rate is too slow.

Ok. I've been trying to know how to make a lower case script r (for example, like in Griffiths' Electrodynamics book) for about a year now...i was wondering if anyone around here maybe knew how?

This board is another reason PHYSICS RULES!

Okay, I have to try this out

[itex] \int_\infty^0 \frac{\partial x}{\partial t}\,dx[/itex]

He wants a script r. I am not sure how Griffith's r's look, but have you tried the calligraphic style?

Try [tex]R_{\cal R}[/tex]

Try [ tex ]R_{\cal R}[ \tex ]

I don't think it works with lowercase.

Last edited:
Originally posted by JohnDubYa
He wants a script r. I am not sure how Griffith's r's look, but have you tried the calligraphic style?

Try [tex]R_{\cal R}[/tex]

Try [ tex ]R_{\cal R}[ \tex ]

I don't think it works with lowercase.
You have to use a forward slash ( / ). It won't work if you use back slash ( \ ).

Last edited:
[tex]x^3 + m^2[/tex]

[tex]\partial\^2[/tex]

[tex]i\hbar\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial t} = \frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2\Psi}{\partial x^2} + V\Psi[/tex]

[tex]\partial z[/tex]

[tex]\partial_z[/tex]

[tex]\partial^2[/tex]

[tex]\partial\^2[/tex]

[tex]\partial^2 + m^2[/tex]

[tex]det[\partial^2 + m^2][/tex]

Last edited:
I am posting this demo for Dan:

[itex] \int_\infty^0 \sin(\theta)[/itex]

LaTeX doesn't seem to work yet in the new forums. :frown:

I still want this LaTeX capability for my own discussion boards for helping students with remedial math. Is it available? Can I buy it?

It's custom-designed, by me. If you'd like to contract me to work on your site, send me a PM...

- Warren

Testing...

[tex]x^{5000}[/tex]

Testing...

[itex] \int_\infty^0 \sin(\theta)[/itex]

Testing...

[tex]
\gamma \equiv \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}}
[/tex]

Testing...

[tex]
R^{a}{}_{bcd}
[/tex]

Last edited:
All right folks, looks like LaTeX is back in business on the new pf. Feel free to let me know if anything seems not to work!

One more test!

[tex]a^x_n[/tex]

[ tex ]x^3[ \tex ]

[tex]R^{x}{}_{bcd}[/tex]

Why are we getting these extra dashes?

[tex]\Delta(x) = v_o + 1/2at^2[/tex]
[tex]cool^n[/tex]

[tex]\Delta x = v_o - 1/2at^2[/tex]
[tex]\Delta x = v_o - 1/2at^2[/tex]
[tex]2drinks = meow^2[/tex]

Hurkyl said:
Why are we getting these extra dashes?
What extra dashes?

- Warren

These dashes.

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    42.2 KB · Views: 536
Hurkyl,

That's kinda funny. I don't see those dashes in my browser. Can you right click on a latex image and view it by itself in a new window? Do the dashes still appear there?

- Warren

Nope.

BTW, someone else mentioned also having this problem, I don't remember who.

Hmmmmm. What browser are you using?

- Warren

Opera 7.23

Sometimes they appear high like that, and sometimes they appear low.

Oh, and I get them in Netscape 7.0 too. (appearing low for the image I posted)

Last edited:
<h2>1. What is LaTeX Math Typesetting?</h2><p>LaTeX Math Typesetting is a typesetting language used for creating and formatting mathematical equations and expressions in documents. It is widely used in the scientific and academic communities for its ability to produce high-quality and professional-looking math equations.</p><h2>2. How is it different from other typesetting languages?</h2><p>Unlike traditional word processing software, LaTeX Math Typesetting uses a markup language to create equations, rather than a graphical user interface. This allows for more precise and consistent formatting, as well as the ability to easily create complex equations and symbols.</p><h2>3. Do I need to be a programmer to use LaTeX Math Typesetting?</h2><p>No, you do not need to be a programmer to use LaTeX Math Typesetting. While some knowledge of coding may be helpful for more advanced formatting, there are many resources and templates available to help beginners get started with creating equations in LaTeX.</p><h2>4. Can I use LaTeX Math Typesetting in any document?</h2><p>Yes, LaTeX Math Typesetting can be used in a variety of document types, including academic papers, presentations, and even online platforms. It is compatible with most operating systems and can be easily integrated into other document creation software.</p><h2>5. Where can I learn more about using LaTeX Math Typesetting?</h2><p>There are many online resources available for learning LaTeX Math Typesetting, including tutorials, forums, and user guides. Additionally, many universities and institutions offer workshops and courses on using LaTeX for scientific and mathematical writing.</p>

1. What is LaTeX Math Typesetting?

LaTeX Math Typesetting is a typesetting language used for creating and formatting mathematical equations and expressions in documents. It is widely used in the scientific and academic communities for its ability to produce high-quality and professional-looking math equations.

2. How is it different from other typesetting languages?

Unlike traditional word processing software, LaTeX Math Typesetting uses a markup language to create equations, rather than a graphical user interface. This allows for more precise and consistent formatting, as well as the ability to easily create complex equations and symbols.

3. Do I need to be a programmer to use LaTeX Math Typesetting?

No, you do not need to be a programmer to use LaTeX Math Typesetting. While some knowledge of coding may be helpful for more advanced formatting, there are many resources and templates available to help beginners get started with creating equations in LaTeX.

4. Can I use LaTeX Math Typesetting in any document?

Yes, LaTeX Math Typesetting can be used in a variety of document types, including academic papers, presentations, and even online platforms. It is compatible with most operating systems and can be easily integrated into other document creation software.

5. Where can I learn more about using LaTeX Math Typesetting?

There are many online resources available for learning LaTeX Math Typesetting, including tutorials, forums, and user guides. Additionally, many universities and institutions offer workshops and courses on using LaTeX for scientific and mathematical writing.