How Do You Balance Complex Redox Equations with Multiple Oxidation Changes?

• Thread starter dajugganaut
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Redox
In summary, the conversation is discussing a chemistry assignment that involves balancing redox equations. The specific question involves the equation [tex] \CrI_{3} + KOH + \Cl_{2} \rightarrow \K_{2}CrO_{4} + \KIO_{4} + KCl + \H_{2}O [\tex] and the individual attempts at balancing the equation by finding the oxidation numbers of the elements. The expert suggests breaking the equation into half cells and balancing each half cell properly in terms of charge and atoms. They also advise to balance the exotic elements first and then follow the usual steps for balancing half cells.
dajugganaut
hi all, my chemistry assignment had a bunch of questions on redox equations balancing. i got stuck on this one:

[tex] \CrI_{3} + KOH + \Cl_{2} \rightarrow \K_{2}CrO_{4} + \KIO_{4} + KCl + \H_{2}O [\tex]

so far, i tried to find ON numbers of the various elements.
Cr changes from +3 to +6
I changes from -1 to +7
Cl changes from 0 to +1

this means that Cr and I undergo a loss of electrons, while Cl undergoes a gain. i don't know how to solve this question when there are multiple LEO.

can you help? =)

[ EDIT : my attempt at LATEX has proved to be yet another disaster ]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For your latex in the final tex it should be a FORWARD SLASH, not a backslash... thus the mess. Also you don't need a backslash to start off a new word. ANyway it look like this:

[tex] CrI_{3} + KOH + Cl_{2} \rightarrow K_{2}CrO_{4} + KIO_{4} + KCl + H_{2}O [/tex]

i suggest you break into half cells as follows
[tex] CrI_{3} \rightarrow K_{2}CrO_{4} + KIO_{4}[/tex]
[tex] KOH \rightarrow H_{2}O [/tex]
[tex] Cl_{2} \rightarrow KCL [/tex]

Balance everything exotic (like K, Cr, I, Cl) first. Then follow the usual steps for half cells. I know it doesn't look like it will work.. but if you balance each half cell properly in temrs of charge and atoms yu should be fine

Hello! Balancing redox equations can be tricky, especially when there are multiple elements undergoing changes in oxidation numbers. Here are some steps you can follow to help you solve this equation:

1. Identify the elements that are undergoing changes in oxidation numbers. In this case, it is Cr, I, and Cl.

2. Write down the initial oxidation numbers for each element. In this case, Cr is +3, I is -1, and Cl is 0.

3. Determine the final oxidation numbers for each element. In this equation, Cr is +6, I is +7, and Cl is +1.

4. Find the difference between the initial and final oxidation numbers for each element. This difference represents the number of electrons gained or lost by each element.

5. Use this information to balance the equation. You can start by balancing the elements that undergo a change in oxidation number. In this case, Cr and I both gain 3 electrons while Cl gains 1 electron.

6. Once you have balanced the elements undergoing changes in oxidation numbers, you can balance the remaining elements. In this equation, you have 2 K atoms on the reactant side, but only 1 K atom on the product side. To balance this, you can add a coefficient of 2 in front of KCl on the product side.

7. Finally, check to make sure that the number of atoms of each element is balanced on both sides of the equation.

[tex] \CrI_{3} + 6KOH + 3\Cl_{2} \rightarrow 2\K_{2}CrO_{4} + 2\KIO_{4} + 2KCl + 3\H_{2}O [\tex]

I hope this helps! Remember to always pay attention to the changes in oxidation numbers and use them to balance the equation. Good luck with your assignment!

1. What is a redox equation?

A redox equation is a chemical equation that involves a transfer of electrons between two reactants, resulting in the formation of new products. This process is also known as a redox reaction.

2. Why is balancing redox equations important?

Balancing redox equations is important because it ensures that the number of atoms and the charge on each side of the equation are equal, which follows the law of conservation of mass and charge. It also helps to determine the correct stoichiometry of the reaction.

3. How do you balance a redox equation?

To balance a redox equation, you must first assign oxidation numbers to each element in the reactants and products. Then, add or subtract electrons to balance the overall charge on each side of the equation. Finally, balance the atoms by adding coefficients to the reactants and products.

4. What is the half-reaction method for balancing redox equations?

The half-reaction method involves separating the redox reaction into two half-reactions, one for the oxidation and one for the reduction. Each half-reaction is balanced separately and then combined to form the balanced redox equation.

5. Are there any tips for balancing redox equations?

Yes, here are some tips for balancing redox equations:

• Balance atoms other than oxygen and hydrogen first.
  • Balance oxygen atoms by adding water molecules to the side that needs more oxygen.
  • Balance hydrogen atoms by adding hydrogen ions (H+) to the side that needs more hydrogen.
  • Balance charges by adding electrons to the side that has a higher overall charge.
  • Remember to multiply all coefficients by the same number to maintain the balance of atoms and charges.