Does W(2,-1) Lie on UV's Perpendicular Bisector?

In summary, to determine whether the point W(2,-1) lies on the perpendicular bisector of line segment UV, endpoints U(3,5) and V(-3,-1), you need to find the midpoint of the line segment and the slope of the two lines. Then, you can use the product of the slopes to determine if the lines are perpendicular. Consult your textbook for more information on slopes of parallel and perpendicular lines.
tamilan
Determine whether the point W(2,-1) lies on the perpendicular bisector of line segment UV, endpoints U(3,5) and V(-3,-1). Explain and justify your answer.

I can't figure it out, if someone could, it would be a pleasure! (it is a grade 10 question)

Physics news on Phys.org
I probably would start by graphing the information given. Then determine equation for the line going through U and V using the coodinates they gave you. You could find the perpendicular bisector by first finding the midpoint between U and V (see your text for description of finding midpoints) and using the slope of the line thru U and V, transform the slope as I pointed out in your post

can you please work out the question for me... i do not understand what your trying to tell me? I am not very good at math either, if u are generous enough to provide the steps, and not the answers - it would help me understand..

ex. Step #1:

Forula: (y2-y1)/2+(x2-x1)/2 *(1,5) and (-1,6)

then i will work out it, then tell me how to step 2 .. this will be very useful.. thank you!

And you will have learned nothing except how to plug numbers into a formula that you do not understand!

1. Find the midpoint of the line segment between (3,5) and (-3,-1).
2. Find the slope of the line through the points (3, 5) and (-3,-1)
3. Find the slope of the line through (2,-1) and the point you found in (1).
4. What is the product of those two slopes? How does that tell you whether the lines are perpendicular or not? (Your textbook has information about the slopes of parallel lines and perpendicular lines.)

1. What is UV's perpendicular bisector?

UV's perpendicular bisector is a line that divides the line segment UV into two equal parts and forms a right angle with it.

2. How do you determine if a point lies on a perpendicular bisector?

A point lies on the perpendicular bisector of a line segment if it is equidistant from the two endpoints of the line segment.

3. What are the coordinates of the point W(2,-1)?

The coordinates of the point W(2,-1) are x = 2 and y = -1.

4. How do you find the equation of a perpendicular bisector given two points?

To find the equation of a perpendicular bisector given two points, first calculate the midpoint of the line segment using the formula (x1 + x2)/2 and (y1 + y2)/2. Then, find the slope of the line segment using the formula (y2 - y1)/(x2 - x1). Finally, find the slope of the perpendicular line by taking the negative reciprocal of the slope of the line segment. Use the point-slope form of a line to write the equation of the perpendicular bisector.

5. Does W(2,-1) lie on UV's perpendicular bisector?

To determine if W(2,-1) lies on UV's perpendicular bisector, find the equation of the perpendicular bisector using the steps mentioned in the previous question. Then substitute the coordinates of W(2,-1) into the equation and check if it satisfies the equation. If it does, then W(2,-1) lies on the perpendicular bisector of UV.