Electro-mechanical oscillator confuses me

• Thread starter ante_S.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oscillator
In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving a harmonic oscillation scenario with a DC voltage and a capacitor with infinite resistance. The equation for the oscillation is described and the influence of the coil and self-induction on the charge of the upper plate is mentioned. The natural frequency of oscillation is noted to not depend on the driver, and it is mentioned that after the capacitor is fully charged, the energy stored in the inductor's magnetic field will continue to flow. The conversation concludes with a statement about small oscillations and small separation.
ante_S.
Hello, everybody!
I got a homework that confuses me totally. Any help is highly appreciated:

Here's the scenario :
http://cafeking.2page.de

Which frequencies are possible on the assumption that we have a harmonic oscillation?
The changing of the charge on the upper plate by q and the momentary elongation x should be considered.

I think 'harmonic oscillation' means that we have
x=xmax*sin(omega*t)
and its derivations as a solution for a differential equation but I can't find an accurate

the springs are made of isulating material.
I forgot to mention that we have a DC voltage, so the resistance of the capacitor is infinite. In contrast to a AC voltage it has no impendance. As a consequence of that we have a mechanical oscillation - not an electric one.
It must look like this:
m*s'' + k*s = E*q

The electric field strengh E and the carge q must be replced by given parameters whereas the charge on the upper plate is influenced by the coil - especially because of self-induction that hampers the charging on the plate.
That's all I can say. My problem is the right equation for the oscillation.

Physics news on Phys.org
well, the natural frequency of oscillation doesn't depend on the driver.

But even after the capacitor is fully charged, to the DC Voltage,
the Energy stored in the inductor's B-feld will continue I flow.
After Voltage overshoots V_DC , oscillation w~ sqrt(LC) damps to V_DC.

Presume small oscillations, and small separation, so Q_bottom = - Q_top.

1. What is an electro-mechanical oscillator?

An electro-mechanical oscillator is a device that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy, causing it to vibrate or oscillate. It typically consists of an electric circuit and a mechanical component, such as a spring or pendulum, that work together to produce oscillations.

2. How does an electro-mechanical oscillator work?

An electro-mechanical oscillator works by using an electrical signal to drive a mechanical component at a specific frequency. This frequency is determined by the properties of the electrical circuit and the mechanical component, and can be adjusted to produce different oscillation patterns.

3. What are some common applications of electro-mechanical oscillators?

Electro-mechanical oscillators have a wide range of applications, including timekeeping devices such as clocks and watches, radio transmitters, and signal generators. They are also used in scientific experiments and research, as well as in various industrial and manufacturing processes.

4. How is an electro-mechanical oscillator different from an electronic oscillator?

The main difference between an electro-mechanical oscillator and an electronic oscillator is the way they generate oscillations. An electro-mechanical oscillator uses a combination of electrical and mechanical components, while an electronic oscillator relies solely on electronic components, such as resistors, capacitors, and transistors.

5. What are some challenges in designing an electro-mechanical oscillator?

Designing an electro-mechanical oscillator can be challenging due to the complex interactions between the electrical and mechanical components. It requires precise calculations and adjustments to ensure that the oscillator operates at the desired frequency and produces stable oscillations. Additionally, factors such as temperature, humidity, and external vibrations can affect the performance of an electro-mechanical oscillator, making its design and maintenance a continuous process.