My Strange Neck Quirk: Can't Stand Anything Wrapped Around It

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around various people sharing their quirks and annoyances with certain articles of clothing or accessories, particularly those that go around the neck. Some mentioned having trouble with turtlenecks, ties, belts, or even sandal straps. One person even shared their dislike for wool clothing. The conversation also touched on the concept of sensory defensiveness and how it can affect one's reactions to certain stimuli. Overall, the conversation highlighted the fact that everyone has their own unique preferences and sensitivities when it comes to clothing and accessories.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have a "neck thing"

I can't stand anything wrapped around my neck - turtleneck collars, close fitting necklaces, even some t-shirts bother me if the collar is too high. It makes me feel like I am choking. I can't get my hair cut at any place that insists on putting that paper strip around my neck, and the smock they put on me must be very loose.

I wasn't always like this. It started in my late 20s. Before that I used to wear turtlenecks and chokers and it never bothered me. I thought I was the only person who had this "quirk" but I found out there are others like me:
http://ask.metafilter.com/83395/Am-I-the-only-one-with-these-strange-body-quirks

Do you have any strange quirks or annoyances like this?

Physics news on Phys.org

I've got that one, too MIH. Times when I was forced (work, social convention, etc) to wear a tie were real hell. It's hard to find dress shirts in my size with adequately-sized collars, and then there's the matter of tying the tie so that it looks trim and neat, but is still not putting pressure on the neck. I don't own a single tie or a single dress shirt now. Bury me in a T-shirt and be done with it.

Likes aryan__chaudhary

I won't wear shirts with capped sleeves, it makes my armpits feel weird. And I won't wear a belt unless the pants sit low on the hips. Being cinched around the waist is just the most claustrophobic feeling I know of.

turbo-1 said:
I've got that one, too MIH. Times when I was forced (work, social convention, etc) to wear a tie were real hell. It's hard to find dress shirts in my size with adequately-sized collars, and then there's the matter of tying the tie so that it looks trim and neat, but is still not putting pressure on the neck. I don't own a single tie or a single dress shirt now. Bury me in a T-shirt and be done with it.

I'll 'second' that

ah, poor turbo. I would die if I had to wear a tie.

One of the people at my link mentioned "sensory defensiveness". I've never heard of this term before, so I googled it:

from Wiki:

"Sensory defensiveness is a condition defined as having "a tendency to react negatively or with alarm to sensory input which is generally considered harmless or non-irritating" to neurotypical persons."

I want to read more about this.

hypatia said:
I won't wear shirts with capped sleeves, it makes my armpits feel weird. And I won't wear a belt unless the pants sit low on the hips. Being cinched around the waist is just the most claustrophobic feeling I know of.

Luckily women's pants rarely come up to the waist these days.

I hate those haircut smocks too! They feel like they were cut to fit a Barbie doll's neck (like your avitar, MIH!).

What really makes me nuts are sandal straps that go between my big toe and its neighbor, like flip-flops. How does anyone tolerate those?!?

lisab said:
I hate those haircut smocks too! They feel like they were cut to fit a Barbie doll's neck (like your avitar, MIH!).

What really makes me nuts are sandal straps that go between my big toe and its neighbor, like flip-flops. How does anyone tolerate those?!?

You are so right! I don't like flip flops either.

Math Is Hard said:
Luckily women's pants rarely come up to the waist these days.
lol I know, but I do find myself buying several pairs low riding jeans to put aside for when the fashion changes again.

I have to wear a thing around my neck which has my ID card and anti-radiation deely where I work now, and I can't stand it. I feel like a dog. No, actually, the only time my dog has a collar on is when I go out on walks with him.

What's worse is the lady I'm renting a room from gave me this necklace type thing with "year of the tiger" dates. I can't stand having something around my neck. Accessories in general. I don't even like wearing a watch. =/

I have to wear a watch, but collars really bother me. I'm not a very large person, and when I was working out a lot it was impossible for me to find dress shirts with a collar large enough to fit my neck comfortably without being way too baggy everywhere else. Throw a necktie into the mix, and it was HELL!

I've always hated wool clothing against my skin. Too scratchy.

However, wool clothing with about 42 non-wool layers between it and my skin ... now that I can tolerate!

Clothes that are all charged up with static electricity drive me to distraction!

Redbelly98 said:
I've always hated wool clothing against my skin. Too scratchy.

However, wool clothing with about 42 non-wool layers between it and my skin ... now that I can tolerate!
I'm the same way, and so is my dad. He joined the Airborne in WWII and ended up in Europe with nice wool uniforms and wool long underwear. He's been through some stuff, but he still talks about that DAMNED wool clothing. He's in his 80's and still walks a few miles every day, but we're watching his old cronies dropping with disheartening regularity.

Wow, you people have problems. Unless something is actually cutting off circulation I don't have a problem with it. To actually go out of your way to find a different place to get a haircut because you can't handle the soft paper strip around your neck is beyond my comprehension. You know it isn't really choking you and it's all in your mind. Are you going to let your mind tell you what to do? Who's in charge? you or your brain? Take Control!

I know, trib. It's extremely weird. I've tried to train myself out of it. I put on a shirt with a close collar and tell myself to relax, that nothing bad is happening, but then within seconds I start choking and almost rip it off in panic. When your sensations are telling you that you're in danger, it's so hard to get the reasoning systems to override.

That's kind of creepy.

gee, thanks, Jason. You've made me feel much better. :(

Math Is Hard said:
gee, thanks, Jason. You've made me feel much better. :(

It is!

Imagine, girl trying to impress guy by wearing a nice cute turtle neck sweater for a nice winter walk downtown and then she randomly rips her shirt off...

...kind of sexy actually. :tongue2:

JasonRox said:
It is!

Imagine, girl trying to impress guy by wearing a nice cute turtle neck sweater for a nice winter walk downtown and then she randomly rips her shirt off...

...kind of sexy actually. :tongue2:

:rofl: There's nothing like sexy/creepy. That might make an interesting movie scene.

Math Is Hard said:
:rofl: There's nothing like sexy/creepy. That might make an interesting movie scene.

It probably already is in a movie. :wink:

I'm claustrophobic so I hate tight clothes. Ties, long sleave shirts, a fully buttoned up collar... all of it is really uncomfortable and annoying. I mostly wear slightly baggy clothing.

tribdog said:
omg those are horrible pictures. Do goiters hurt?

Sort of...luckily mine isn't that big. If I poke it, it hurts.

I can't stand wool. I can't stand those shirts with poofy short sleeves. If the elastic is too tight, it is itchy and irritating under my arm.

I can't stand tight fitting clothes, especially if they involve a necktie. I can't wear any type of wristwatch without it constantly annoying my. Can't stand my clothes getting wet... like if I'm outside working and my shirt starts to get wet from sweating... a shirt sticking to me drives me nuts! All my clothes have to be at least one or two sizes bigger than my measurements. I can't wear reading glasses or safety glasses for a long time without them getting on my nerves, so I only use them when I absolutely HAVE to. Can't wear hats or headphones without feeling weird. I also can't wear contacts... I don't care how comfortable they are, they still bother me like crazy. If I'm forced to I can deal with all the above issues, but it will still be a major distraction.

MIH, I've never heard of the term 'sensory defensiveness' before, but after reading the description, I think I actually know it very well.:biggrin:

Turbo

next time in a convention, try this:

http://www.rooymansneckwear.nl/prod_4.htm

Just a fake clip on,

My oldest daughter has the same 'neck thing'.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andre said:
Turbo

next time in a convention, try this:

http://www.rooymansneckwear.nl/prod_4.htm

Just a fake clip on,

My oldest daughter has the same 'neck thing'.
Thanks, Andre. I gave away my suits and sport coats and dress shirts and ties to a charity for developmentally-disabled people. I can never attend any public functions that would require fancy dress because I'd drop at the first exposure to strong fragrances. I haven't been to a funeral, wedding, anniversary celebration, etc for at least ten years. 5 minutes near a guy with some relatively benign-smelling stuff on at work a few years back earned me a whole day of tests and observations in the ER. Asthma, migraine, BP of 185 over 90, and a couple of days of severe joint pain. I was in shock, with blue hands (loss of blood to extremities) and the triage nurse at the ER never asked to see ID, insurance card, etc - just waved me right through - I must have looked like hell. The doctors wanted to keep me overnight for observation, but they couldn't guarantee that a nurse or orderly wouldn't enter my room wearing cosmetics, so my wife took me home.

Last edited by a moderator:

I love turtleneck sweaters and "fitted" clothes. I don't like sleeveless things or baggy clothes that always need to be pulled up or shifted. I prefer long sleeves. t The "fad' in the 80's for the mid-arm length sleeves used to make me crazy. Clothes should fit properly.

I can't even feel a turtleneck on my neck.

I can't stand water splashed on my face though. :devil:

Fingernail polish makes my finger tips feel like they're smothering and wearing parkas.

lisab said:
Fingernail polish makes my finger tips feel like they're smothering and wearing parkas.
:rofl:

I can sympathize with people feeling constricted by clothing although I don't.

I know after a good meal, I wish a was wearing elastic waisted pants. Oh, I am wearing elastic waisted pants. :blushing:

Evo said:
I can sympathize with people feeling constricted by clothing although I don't.

Same here. I have worn turtle necks that felt kind of annoyingly snug, but I think it was just a bad fit. Usually it doesn't bother me to wear turtle necks. Though, I do start to feel claustrophobic in winter coats...not because of the snugness, but the bulkiness. I just start feeling like the coat is constantly in the way and that I need more space to move.

Math Is Hard said:
I know, trib. It's extremely weird. I've tried to train myself out of it. I put on a shirt with a close collar and tell myself to relax, that nothing bad is happening, but then within seconds I start choking and almost rip it off in panic. When your sensations are telling you that you're in danger, it's so hard to get the reasoning systems to override.
I get that same feeling when I am around people smoking indoors. I think that stems from my dad locking the car doors, rolling up the windows and lighting up when I was a kid.

turbo-1 said:
I can never attend any public functions that would require fancy dress because I'd drop at the first exposure to strong fragrances.

Dear me, Turbo. My sympathy. I know what that is from a collegue. Also develloped with him on a later age. Whenever we're on shift with him we skip the odorizers. Most fortunately the room is very well A/C-ed.

<h2>1. What causes this strange neck quirk?</h2><p>This strange neck quirk, also known as tactile allodynia, is caused by a heightened sensitivity to touch on the skin of the neck. This can be due to nerve damage, underlying medical conditions, or genetic factors.</p><h2>2. Is this neck quirk treatable?</h2><p>Yes, there are various treatments available for this neck quirk. These include therapy, medication, and lifestyle changes. It is important to consult with a medical professional to determine the best course of treatment for your specific case.</p><h2>3. Can this neck quirk be passed down genetically?</h2><p>While there is no specific genetic marker for this neck quirk, research suggests that there may be a genetic component to the condition. This means that it is possible for it to be passed down from parents to their children, but it is not guaranteed.</p><h2>4. What are the common triggers for this neck quirk?</h2><p>Triggers for this neck quirk can vary from person to person. Some common triggers include certain fabrics, jewelry, hair touching the neck, and tight clothing. It is important to identify your personal triggers and avoid them to prevent discomfort.</p><h2>5. Can this neck quirk go away on its own?</h2><p>In some cases, this neck quirk may go away on its own without any treatment. However, for others, it may be a chronic condition that requires ongoing management. It is important to seek medical advice to determine the best course of action for your specific case.</p>

1. What causes this strange neck quirk?

This strange neck quirk, also known as tactile allodynia, is caused by a heightened sensitivity to touch on the skin of the neck. This can be due to nerve damage, underlying medical conditions, or genetic factors.

2. Is this neck quirk treatable?

Yes, there are various treatments available for this neck quirk. These include therapy, medication, and lifestyle changes. It is important to consult with a medical professional to determine the best course of treatment for your specific case.

3. Can this neck quirk be passed down genetically?

While there is no specific genetic marker for this neck quirk, research suggests that there may be a genetic component to the condition. This means that it is possible for it to be passed down from parents to their children, but it is not guaranteed.

4. What are the common triggers for this neck quirk?

Triggers for this neck quirk can vary from person to person. Some common triggers include certain fabrics, jewelry, hair touching the neck, and tight clothing. It is important to identify your personal triggers and avoid them to prevent discomfort.

5. Can this neck quirk go away on its own?

In some cases, this neck quirk may go away on its own without any treatment. However, for others, it may be a chronic condition that requires ongoing management. It is important to seek medical advice to determine the best course of action for your specific case.