Integrate exp(-x^2), dx

In summary, the conversation is about a user trying to solve an integral using Derive and encountering an error function. Another user suggests looking up values in an erf table for definite integrals. A third user provides a link to a forum where the integral was solved using double integration. However, another user points out that this method only works for certain definite integrals. The conversation then shifts to discussing the limits of integration and the application of a trick for solving the integral. Finally, another user asks for help with solving the integral for any k>0.
Nimrod
hi all,

i've tried to solve this thing with Derive, but it gave me some vague erf(x) function (error function??). Is there some gosu-mathematician who can help me solve the integral?

[tex] \int exp(-x^2) dx [/tex]

tnx

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no analytic form to the gaussian integral. You need to look up values in the erf table for definite integrals.

ah, that clarifies a lot, thank you.

Tom did this using double integration here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=25798&page=2

Have fun!

Tom Mattson said:
This integral can be done the same way that the integral of exp(-x2) can be done. First, write the integral of x2exp(-x2) from zero to infinity. Then write the integral of y2exp(-y2) from zero to infinity (they're both exactly the same as your integral). Now multiply the integrands together double integrate over x and y. When you convert to polar coordinates, you will get an integral that can be done by parts. Just don't forget to take the square root at the end.

Note:

x2y2=r4sin2(θ)cos2(θ)
x2+y2=r2
dx dy=rdr dθ

master_coda said:
Remember, that that only works for solving certain definite integrals.

Why's that?

It's the limits of integration that count here. Say you're trying to integrate a hard function, but there's a neat little trick for working out the integral from zero to infinity. That trick probably won't help you if you're integrating from, say, 1 to 5.729.

When I first did that integral (the trick way with the nice limits) I thought it was the neatest thing.

integrate exp(-(x/C)^k), dx with k>0 and C>0

Hello to you all,

i've tried hard to solve this problem related with the wind resources, but so far like Tom Mattson said in is post, i solved the problem to k=2, but i can't solve it to any k>0!

integrate exp(-(x/C)^k), dx with k>0 and C>0

Is there anyone willing to help me ?

Perinhas.

What is the formula for integrating exp(-x^2)?

The formula for integrating exp(-x^2) is √π erf(x) + C, where erf(x) is the error function.

What is the significance of exp(-x^2)?

Exp(-x^2) is a Gaussian function, which is commonly used in statistics and physics to represent normal distributions. It also has applications in solving differential equations and in quantum mechanics.

Is it possible to find an exact value for the integral of exp(-x^2)?

No, it is not possible to find an exact value for the integral of exp(-x^2) because it does not have an elementary antiderivative. The value can be approximated using numerical methods.

How is exp(-x^2) related to the Gaussian distribution?

Exp(-x^2) is the probability density function for a normal distribution with mean 0 and standard deviation 1. It describes the likelihood of a random variable taking on a specific value within the distribution.

What are the applications of integrating exp(-x^2)?

Integrating exp(-x^2) has applications in various fields such as statistics, physics, and engineering. It is used to solve problems related to normal distributions, heat diffusion, and quantum mechanics, among others.