Discovering My Child's Lack of Physics Education: A Frustrating Reality

• Thread starter Mike_In_Plano
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kids
In summary, the physics course that my child is taking is poorly prepared and does not require calculus to understand.
Mike_In_Plano
I was pleased the day I found my kid was taking physics - until I found how woefully unprepared ALL the kids were and how the entire course was dummied down to fit a mathematically immature age.

How are they to even begin to understand kinematics, when they have NO modicum of a gleaming upon the concept of calculus. They have these kids memorizing formulas, without a clue as to their meaning, derivation...

Argh... I'm too upset to continue

Science news on Phys.org
what age group we talking?

There are many basic concepts and laws that you can grasp and learn to use without calculus, it doesn't have to be a problem. Problem starts when the course is dumbed down not because kids don't know enough math, but to allow Joe Slow crawl through it, while all other kids wait bored. That's the problem.

Mike_In_Plano said:
Argh... I'm too upset to continue

The best part is? No one I know even remembers when this wasn't the case. Though as already mentioned, you don't need calculus to learn many basic things about physics. Hell, a university typically has an entire series of physics courses aimed at not-really-engineers-but-not-art-majors type students that does physics without calculus.

If you're talking about high school Physics, then I think that's been the case for at least 40 years and probably forever.

If you're talking about college, well, a lot of students don't take high school Physics and aren't in majors that require more than an awareness of physics.

Okay, well I feel better in that this isn't a unique occurance, but I still need to communicate with my kid, I'm frustrated at the lack of conceptual background. Where do I go and what do I do to find a common grounds?

You are asking a forum how to communicate with your own offspring? Interesting.

Pythag had the 1st and most vital question. How old is your child?

I fail to understand the relevance of physics without calculus. Speaking as a student going through introductory physics, the link between the equations v=v0+at and x=x0+vt+1/2at^2 would not exist. Now I know it's connected by integration/differentiation, which allows me to go between a, v, and x without even a second thought. Physics is pointless without calculus, even if the equations do not specifically require calculating derivatives or integrals.

Angry Citizen said:
I fail to understand the relevance of physics without calculus. Speaking as a student going through introductory physics, the link between the equations v=v0+at and x=x0+vt+1/2at^2 would not exist. Now I know it's connected by integration/differentiation, which allows me to go between a, v, and x without even a second thought. Physics is pointless without calculus, even if the equations do not specifically require calculating derivatives or integrals.
Of course those links exists, calculus don't magically create the link. The only math prerequisite for those formulas is the area of a triangle + square and the reasoning behind it is really simple and nothing of this gets any easier just because you have studied calculus. Sure you got more mathematical tools to apply to more variations of functions but the actual physical understanding do not come any easier just because you know calculus.

The way I derived those equations when I took early physics was by first calculating the average speed and then multiplying with the time. Not hard at all and it makes perfect sense... I think it is people like you who don't see these obvious links which should go back and think a while. Remember that most didn't derive the formulas found in calculus, so they are just tricking themselves into thinking that they "derive" physics formulas. So in fact they are still just memorizing, the only difference is that the new set of rules is more powerful.

Last edited:
Angry Citizen said:

It's a lesson in synthesis. We learn a handful of useful things with algebra in fundamental physics courses. Then we put them together with calculus.

If you're just handed calculus, there's no significance filter, and applying calculus to numerous different physical situations is (at first) daunting.

Imagine if we started learning electromagnetism just from Maxwell's equations. No, we share the chronological history with The Giants because the order of discovery has a big influence on the development of theory. Sure, there was a better way...

There's a better way to run government too. But if we just told everybody to start acting that way, all the infrastructure built on the old ways would become unstable, and that is (by manner of a series of events) the foundation on which "the new way" stands.

In fact, I still make more algebra mistakes than calculus mistakes in page of long derivations. Algebra is not trivial when you go beyond add/subtract/divide/multiply.

Stating physics is pointless without calculus is an arrogance. Browse "Introductory physics" forum - it could be named "Precalculus physics". A lot of good, interesting questions that can be solved using just a basic algebra and good understanding of basic concepts.

I think the following is rather fitting.
You've got to learn to walk before you can run.
It's like trying teaching an engineering student fracture mechanics before teaching them stress and strain.

Of course those links exists, calculus don't magically create the link. The only math prerequisite for those formulas is the area of a triangle + square and the reasoning behind it is really simple and nothing of this gets any easier just because you have studied calculus.

Like I said, I'm studying intro physics right now, and no, I'm hardly bad at math. The connections are far more lucid when one understands calculus. They may exist without calculus, but if you're telling me the average modern student will understand the relationship you described, you're deluding yourself.

Stating physics is pointless without calculus is an arrogance. Browse "Introductory physics" forum - it could be named "Precalculus physics". A lot of good, interesting questions that can be solved using just a basic algebra and good understanding of basic concepts.

I haven't done a physics problem yet in my class that required calculus. I didn't say it did. I did, however, say that calculus makes introductory physics concepts much easier to digest. You have the intuitive sense that is required of physics. Like the OP said, without calculus, you're just memorizing formulas. I derive them simply by understanding what an indefinite integral is.

I think the following is rather fitting.
You've to to walk before you can run.It's like trying teaching an engineering student fracture mechanics before teaching them stress and strain.

Well, as an engineering major who never took algebra-based physics, we'll see if you're right. My calculus-based physics course, however, is probably easier to digest than any algebra-based physics course would've been prior to calculus. In fact, I can assert this positively, as I tried my hand at physics without the proper calculus background, and failed miserably (of course, it's very possible this has something to do with the fact that I crave structure in my learning, and I tried to self-teach myself out of an algebra physics book).

Angry Citizen said:
Well, as an engineering major who never took algebra-based physics, we'll see if you're right. My calculus-based physics course, however, is probably easier to digest than any algebra-based physics course would've been prior to calculus. In fact, I can assert this positively, as I tried my hand at physics without the proper calculus background, and failed miserably (of course, it's very possible this has something to do with the fact that I crave structure in my learning, and I tried to self-teach myself out of an algebra physics book).

Well done for totally missing the point. This is not about the end game, it's about how people learn to get there.

The learning process requires:
foundation -> basics -> advanced tools.

You can't solve an advanced problem with basic tools. But you need to master the basic tools before you can progress to more advanced concepts.

Your point was that one must learn the basic, algebra-based tools before one learns the calculus-based tools, yes? Well, my point addressed this. It's unnecessary in my eyes. One can teach them both simultaneously. The calculus and algebra are not disconnected from another. In fact, they compliment one another. Knowing calculus before tackling the algebra-based physics makes the physics more intuitive and understandable. Just my observation of course. I would certainly be the first to admit I am the epitome of 'outlier' when it comes to learning.

Well it was a more general point about learning, it applies to everything. I'm finding it hard to pick out an example, as when you can do calculus it makes it difficult to think of a time before you could do it.

The only example I can think of is silly, it's how you get the area under a curve.

In primary school, you drew it on a piece of square paper and counted the squares. (arithmatic and basic counting)
In secondary school pre calculus, you learn the trapezium rule, and the error associated with using different sized trapeziums.
In secondary shool when you learn calculus you simply integrate the curve.

EDIT: I'm getting nostalgic flashbacks of my maths classes. I remember being set simulaneous equations homework, and just using matrices to solve them (AS further maths for the win). I let someone copy without thinking and us both getting bollocked because they hadn't done matrices. good times.

Last edited:
Angry Citizen said:
Your point was that one must learn the basic, algebra-based tools before one learns the calculus-based tools, yes? Well, my point addressed this. It's unnecessary in my eyes. One can teach them both simultaneously. The calculus and algebra are not disconnected from another. In fact, they compliment one another. Knowing calculus before tackling the algebra-based physics makes the physics more intuitive and understandable. Just my observation of course. I would certainly be the first to admit I am the epitome of 'outlier' when it comes to learning.
The problem with this view is that physics gets even more logical and all that once you start doing it with functional analysis, differential geometry etc, rather than calculus. I'd say that it is good to build your physical intuition up from the basics rather than waiting with it till you know basic maths.

Personally I did roughly all non calculus based physics you can do before I started high school. We did basic kinematics, electrical circuits, basic em theory such as how two charged particles effects each other, how magnetic fields effects charged particles which leads to how to make an ac engine and how coils transforms voltages, we did the atom model together with the quantization of light and light spectrum's from different gases, we did the interference experiments of waves, explained why that happens and then explained that the same thing happens with particles such as electrons, we went through special relativity by first explaining that the speed of light is constant and then derived the other relations from that, we did a very basic treatment of some thermodynamic systems and explained the general idea even though we didn't calculate anything on it except for just calculating how much energy it is required to melt/heat things up just had some heuristic description of entropy and such.

None of that required any calculus at all and I'd argue that I had a better understanding of physics when I started high school than you do currently. By the way, can you explain in what way you are an 'outlier', because just saying 'outlier' doesn't really say anything at all except that you aren't in the mainstream. I'd argue that most who posts outside the help forums here are 'outliers'.

Last edited:
Klockan3 said:
Personally I did roughly all non calculus based physics you can do before I started high school.

I really appreciated your post- especially the middle paragraph. The sentence above is the critical point, and I'll note the OP never said *how old* his child is. Clearly, material presented at elementary school (ages 5-11 in the US) will be conceptually simpler than the material represented at middle school, high school, undergraduate, graduate, postdoc... and there's no reason to demand that calculus-based physics should be taught in elementary school.

By the way, can you explain in what way you are an 'outlier', because just saying 'outlier' doesn't really say anything at all except that you aren't in the mainstream.

Well, for one, I didn't go to high school. For two, I had about a 4th grade math level before entering college last fall. For three, I keep a keen eye on pedagogical techniques. I discuss it with both the educators and those being educated. But mostly, my point was simply that I am relatively unique in my learning style. I do not learn from books very well. I'm not a very visual learner either. Now, either you must accept that I have a very keen intuitive grasp on physics, or that it is entirely unnecessary to know how to do all that gobbeldygook during middle school, because I'm doing quite well in my intro physics class without it.

Believe me, I understand your mentality. It's typical of the modern take on education. Drill it into them young, drill it into them again, drill it into them when they go to college, and maybe, just maybe, once they get a job they remember some part of chapter 2. I just think there are better ways of going about it.

there's no reason to demand that calculus-based physics should be taught in elementary school.

I'm actually of the opinion that calculus should be taught far earlier than it is now. Not as a separate subject, but linked with the algebra techniques. For instance, once slope, function manipulation, and rational expressions are taught, there is absolutely no reason in the world not to teach derivatives.

But forgive me my tangent (pun intended).

Angry Citizen said:
I'm actually of the opinion that calculus should be taught far earlier than it is now.

Well you could cartainly try. This kind of thing was tried back in the 60s, it didn't get very far. There is no point in designing a curriculum that only targets a small minority of people.

The basic fact is most people in the world are dreadful at at mathematics. This is something this forums seems to overlook, people who acutally enjoy physics and mathematics are very much in the minority in this world. It's largely pointless in teaching children something that will serve them no purpose in later life. Statistics would serve the general denizens of this world far better than calculus ever could.

xxChrisxx said:
The basic fact is most people in the world are dreadful at at mathematics.

Do you have something to support this statement? From what I remember (and no, I don't have any research to quote) this is kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy, everyone one knows Math Is Hard, so math is hard - those that were not told MIH don't have so much troubles.

xxChrisxx said:
Well you could cartainly try. This kind of thing was tried back in the 60s, it didn't get very far. There is no point in designing a curriculum that only targets a small minority of people.

The basic fact is most people in the world are dreadful at at mathematics. This is something this forums seems to overlook, people who acutally enjoy physics and mathematics are very much in the minority in this world. It's largely pointless in teaching children something that will serve them no purpose in later life. Statistics would serve the general denizens of this world far better than calculus ever could.

I think people tend to be dreadful at mathematics because it is not taught properly. Calculus isn't just useful for analyzing physics and chemistry and assorted other topics, it has explanatory value in and of itself. Again speaking from personal experience, algebra became so much clearer once I knew why those techniques were taught. For instance, I couldn't give a darn less about multiplying by conjugates until I started studying limits. I didn't appreciate the beauty of e until I heard the definition of the natural logarithm. I certainly didn't much understand the purpose of being able to discern the equation of a line from a point and a slope. To me, learning calculus is like a myopic person putting on glasses. Sure, you can vaguely understand some concepts, but it's so much clearer in light of calculus.

Borek said:
Do you have something to support this statement?

What? Like a survey that asks 'do you like maths'? Or some in depth 10 years study into school leavers lives asking the amount of times they've used pythagoras's theroum or algebra in their stock repleshiment duties at the local Tesco?

Experience is what supports this statement. It may be self fulfilling, but it's bloody true. Even I dislike maths and I'm an engineer, of one of the necessary evils of my job.

I've also known people that adore maths, and it came completely naturally to them. The people who hate it most certainly outweigh them.

I see frustration, but no facts.

I vaguely recall thare was some kind of research done on the subject. Something like two groups, one being constantly told that math is hard and they are being taught difficult math subject, the other one being told they are just playing logical game or something like that. The group that was not aware of learning math did much better. (I partially made it up, but I remember reading about something like that).

Borek said:

I vaguely recall thare was some kind of research done on the subject. Something like two groups, one being constantly told that math is hard and they are being taught difficult math subject, the other one being told they are just playing logical game or something like that. The group that was not aware of learning math did much better. (I partially made it up, but I remember reading about something like that).
There are no facts, but the chances that it isn't a fact is too small. No matter where you go in the world or at which time in history you look you will always find that most had issues with maths.

You are right in that telling kids or people in general that maths is hard makes them perform worse but that doesn't mean that it isn't true. The reason people say that maths is hard is due to their own experience, it wouldn't have gotten so well accepted all over the world if it didn't have some truth to it. Maths is hard, but not for everyone. For teaching purposes it is advantageous to come with cliché statements like "Maths is all about hard work", even though it isn't true it helps the students perform better on average.

Klockan3 said:
There are no facts, but the chances that it isn't a fact is too small. No matter where you go in the world or at which time in history you look you will always find that most had issues with maths.

You are right in that telling kids or people in general that maths is hard makes them perform worse but that doesn't mean that it isn't true. The reason people say that maths is hard is due to their own experience, it wouldn't have gotten so well accepted all over the world if it didn't have some truth to it. Maths is hard, but not for everyone. For teaching purposes it is advantageous to come with cliché statements like "Maths is all about hard work", even though it isn't true it helps the students perform better on average.

It's also culturally acceptable to say you're terrible at math (in the US at least). It's even considered funny, in some circles, to 'brag' about how you can't do algebra. I don't understand it at all. Would anyone 'brag' about being functionally illiterate?

lisab said:
It's also culturally acceptable to say you're terrible at math (in the US at least). It's even considered funny, in some circles, to 'brag' about how you can't do algebra. I don't understand it at all. Would anyone 'brag' about being functionally illiterate?

Same in Poland. This is stupid.

Klockan3 said:
No matter where you go in the world or at which time in history you look you will always find that most had issues with maths.

Will I?

I am not saying you are wrong, but my experience is limited to western culture at best, so I have no idea how it looks in - say - Korea. Or Vietnam. Heck, I have no idea how it looks in Russia.

Angry Citizen said:
Believe me, I understand your mentality. It's typical of the modern take on education. Drill it into them young, drill it into them again, drill it into them when they go to college, and maybe, just maybe, once they get a job they remember some part of chapter 2. I just think there are better ways of going about it.
Believe me, you don't understand my mentality. I don't say that things should be drilled in at all or that it is the only way to do things, I just note that there is no need to know calculus before you start to learn physics. In the same way calculus helps you learn physics if you were taught well physics will also help you when learning calculus so stating that you need one to know the other is ridiculous. I'd say for example that studying calculus without first having a proper notion of things like velocity and acceleration is really strange, but it works since you can develop intuition for the same thing from a large variety of sources.

By the way, I wouldn't call a course where you drill formulas a physics course. Just because your precalculus physics course was taught badly don't necessarily mean that everyones precalculus physics was bad. And I can assure you that there is mostly formula drills in calculus based physics as well, understanding is not prioritized in general in academia.
Borek said:
Will I?

I am not saying you are wrong, but my experience is limited to western culture at best, so I have no idea how it looks in - say - Korea. Or Vietnam. Heck, I have no idea how it looks in Russia.
Yup, media might try to make you believe differently but there is no magical country where children learn maths with joy.

I'd say for example that studying calculus without first having a proper notion of things like velocity and acceleration is really strange.

*shrug* I managed.

By the way, I wouldn't call a course where you drill formulas a physics course. Just because your precalculus physics course was taught badly don't necessarily mean that everyones precalculus physics was bad.

I didn't have precalculus physics. I'm glad I didn't.

And I can assure you that there is mostly formula drills in calculus based physics as well, understanding is not prioritized in general in academia.

Well then, perhaps my calculus-based physics course is an outlier, because my physics prof actually gives us the necessary equations before each exam. The point is to reduce the necessity for memorizing equations, and learning the intuitive process behind introductory physics.

But maybe I just have a super-awesome physics prof who knows how to teach, and I'm just an absolutely brilliant engineering student who can get on just fine without precalculus physics. I wouldn't count on it though.

Klockan3 said:
Yup, media might try to make you believe differently but there is no magical country where children learn maths with joy.

I am not talking about media. I hear the same "Math is Hard" statement from everyone every time. Now and then I am tutoring students and I have heard it even from those that were catching math ideas without problems - so I tend to doubt universality of the statement, I am rather inclined to see it as fashionable.

Borek said:

Ok fine.

UK GCSE (A*-C is generally considered a pass) and let's face it, GCSE maths is by no means taxing.

From 2005 statistics for average:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/education/05/exam_results/gcse_fc/html/mathematics.stm

I can't find how to get the newer ones, as I am just doing this quickly.

46.6% got a grade that was considered a fail. The average grade of C isn't particulally fantastic, as to do A level maths generally requires a B at GCSE (depending on 6th form acceptance criteria).

So to be considered 'good' at the are 16 range you've got to get a B.

This means that in 2005 nearly 70% of all people did not meet the required standard for A level maths at the 6th form college I went to.

It really isn't difficult to get a C at GCSE, some just don't have the required intelligence, most just plain don't give a crap.

This is a typical pass rate year on year for maths in the UK. However, of those 30ish% many go on to do maths A level where the trend flips, the majority get an A or a B (which is pretty good).

Add those who really love maths at A level (the optional further maths) 80% get an A or B.

Last edited:
Angry Citizen said:
*shrug* I managed.
Yeah, and I managed to learn a lot of useful things from precalculus physics which weren't instantly made obsolete by calculus based physics.
Angry Citizen said:
I didn't have precalculus physics. I'm glad I didn't.
How can you have an opinion about it when you haven't taken any of it?
Angry Citizen said:
Well then, perhaps my calculus-based physics course is an outlier, because my physics prof actually gives us the necessary equations before each exam.
Um, what? How is this relevant at all in terms of understanding? Do you realize that just knowing equations doesn't really mean anything at all? It seems to me that you don't know at what physical intuition is and just learns a lot of equations. Physics is not about learning equations or learning how to solve problem X, it is about giving you a better understanding of how the world works.

I can understand that you would think that learning physics before calculus is a waste if you just look at it as memorizing X equations which would mean that you don't need as many once you know calculus...

Borek said:
I am not talking about media. I hear the same "Math is Hard" statement from everyone every time. Now and then I am tutoring students and I have heard it even from those that were catching math ideas without problems - so I tend to doubt universality of the statement, I am rather inclined to see it as fashionable.
But as I said people have that oppinion all over the world...
The international test results from 2003 and related surveys from 46 countries show that the world's most confident eighth-grade math students are found in the Middle East, Africa and the United States. Of the 10 countries with the highest levels of student confidence, only Israel and the United States scored higher than average on the international test, and their scores were far below those of the much less confident students in Japan, Korea, Hong Kong and Taiwan.
http://nomorequo.blogspot.com/2007/04/why-asians-are-better-at-math.html