Try Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce - Hot Stuff!

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hot
In summary, turbo and his wife spent the day canning and pickling various types of peppers, including habaneros, jalapenos, lipstick chilis, and a variety of red peppers. They also made a flavorful pepper relish using peppers from their neighbor and Astronuc. Their neighbor is also a pepper enthusiast and turbo's wife brought some extra jars to the store owner, who loved it and may want to start selling it. They also made jalapeno poppers, which were a hit with everyone except for the hot-averse members of the family. They also started a batch of tomato and pepper salsa to be canned the next day.
rhody said:
netgypsy, Moonbear,

I watched this video, liquid fence, it works, stinks for two days, then the smell goes away.
Looks about the same price as the stuff in my last post. I would be interested to see if the moth ball,
or human hair would keep them away too, and for a lot cheaper.

Liquid Fence Deer Repellent

MvOm3Q-3MK0[/youtube] Rhody...[/...ications/05pubs/arjo052.pdf"[/PLAIN] [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
dlgoff said:
Don't believe everything you read.

"www.aphis.usda.gov/wildlife_damage/nwrc/publications/05pubs/arjo052.pdf" [Broken]

I can attest from personal experience. Before I started grad school, I worked with white-tailed deer. As side-projects that helped fund some of our primary research, we tested deer repellants. We had deer, they supplied the repellants, and we just had to pick up tasty shrubs from the nursery. None of the so-called repellants worked, and a few seemed to be tasty seasoning to the deer (the plants treated with them got eaten faster than ntreated control plants).

Moonbear said:
I can attest from personal experience. Before I started grad school, I worked with white-tailed deer. As side-projects that helped fund some of our primary research, we tested deer repellants. We had deer, they supplied the repellants, and we just had to pick up tasty shrubs from the nursery. None of the so-called repellants worked, and a few seemed to be tasty seasoning to the deer (the plants treated with them got eaten faster than ntreated control plants).
Sorry guys, what about my homegrown moth ball or human hair use around the garden perimeter ? Could these really work ? How can these companies sell this stuff if it doesn't perform as advertised ?

Rhody...

a 10 foot fence uphill with a moat.
dogs loose inside an electric perimeter but you have to fence the garden or the dogs dig it up
horses or goats who like to chase things but you need a really good electric fence around the garden to keep them out.
I've also heard big cat excrement, urine hanging in plastic bags (our zoo does a huge business selling it) and human bodily waste. This came from a guy with a big garden.

You can probably use alternating hot and ground wires and ten foot posts. Be sure your grounds are connected to a real Earth ground so they work no matter how dry it is. If I remember correctly in Australia they have to use something like 5 hot and ground alternating because it's so dry. I have to use this technique for horses because sand gets dry so fast. 16 gauge galvanized is really good because if they do crash it, it's cheap and easy to fix and breaks without injuring the animal.

People love deer until they eat their new 50k landscaping, jump through a window and swim in their pool.

I remember in upstate NY, I lived in a wooded area. I spent a couple of hundred dollars on annuals for the extensive raised beds I had built thoughout the yard. I finshed planting in one day, exhausted.

Next morning I went out to admire my work and as far as the eye could see, nothing but chewed stumps. RABBITS! I didn't replant. I bought fake flowers.

My wife has spent hundreds (don't tell me how many!) of dollars on perennials as she has built our front lawn into a garden. The deer have stayed away. Duke pees outside, as do I in places out-of-sight from the road and there has been no deer-damage for years.

Actually, if a deer showed up, Duke would try to make friends with it like he tried to befriend a porcupine earlier this year. He doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body.

I've mostly planted deer-resistant perennials in my yard (I started with foxglove hoping the digitalis would give them all heart attacks if they ate it anyway). But then I have hostas that aren't deer resistant and were just free from a friend thinning her garden, so I didn't care if they became deer food. The deer don't touch those, but mowed down the nearby irises. I think they have very expensive taste and know which plants I get free. They don't like leftovers.

OK, have a look at these, all of these varieties were raised successfully last season.
I had no idea that even some of these existed, are you ready ?
You can see how many strains have been cross bred to produce what you see here, amazing, huh ?
You can see that 7 pot and the trinidad's are the most crossed.
Any that strike your fancy that you would be interested in growing ?

7 pot/pod Brown
7 pot/pod Chocolate
7 pot/pod Savannah
7pot/pod Brain Strain
7pot/pod Barrakapore original strain
7pot/pod Barrakpore
7pot/pod Congo
7pot/pod Douglah
7pot/pod Douglah Hybrid v1 f2
7pot/pod Douglah Hybrid v2 f2
7pot/pod EverGreen
7pot/pod Jonah
7pot/pod Jonah x Trinidad Scorpion Butch T f2
7pot/pod Julian strain
7pot/pod long
7pot/pod Orange
7pot/pod original strain f2 hybrid
7pot/pod Primo
7pot/pod red x 7pot/pod yellow f2
7pot/pod SR
7pot/pod white hybrid
7pot/pod Yellow
7pot/pod Yellow Large
AISPES Elisa Blk f2
AISPES Mili
AISPES Pimento Tiger f3
AISPES Ser Pepper Morouga Blend
AISPES Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate Var 1
AISPES Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate Var 2
AISPES Trinidad Scorpion morouga yellow
Antillais Caribbean
Avenir
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia Assam
Bhut Jolokia Chocolate
Bhut Jolokia Chocolate x 7pot/pod Yellow v2 f4
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon
Bhut Jolokia Peach
Bhut Jolokia Purple
Bhut Jolokia White
Bhut Jolokia Yellow
Bih Jolokia
Bih Jolokia Frontal Agritech
Biker Billy Jalapenos
Biker Billy Jalapenos f2
Black Naga
Black Stinger
Cumari ou Passarino (Witches Tit)
Datil x Limon f3
Devil's Tongue Chocolate
Devil's Tongue Yellow
Dorset Naga
Fatalii yellow
Habalokia Talas
Habanero Chocolate
Habanero Yucatan White
Hot Fish
Infinity
Madbalz7
Maldivian heart
Naga Morich
Naga Purple
Naga Scorpion
Naga Viper
Naga x Jalapeno hybrid f2
Nagabon hybrid f2
PI 257132 Ecuardorian Devils Breath
Scotch Bonnet Peach
Scotch Bonnet TFM
Trinidad Scorpion AJ
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate
Trinidad Scorpion Huge
Trinidad Scorpion light yellow large bumpy pod
Trinidad Scorpion Long Tail
Trinidad Scorpion morouga
Trinidad Scorpion morouga yellow
Trinidad Scorpion orange
Trinidad Scorpion SR
Trinidad Scorpion SR strain
Trinidad Scorpion Sunrise
Trinidad Scorpion VV7
Trinidad Scorpion x 7pot/pod
Trinidad Scorpion x Bhut Jolokia f3
Trinidad Scorpion x Congo
Trinidad Scorpion x Pimenta Morango blk

Rhody... :devil:

Here is a good source of seeds. They call themselves Totally Tomatoes, but the company has a very nice selection of pepper seeds, including hot varieties.

http://www.totallytomato.com/dc.asp?c=11

rhody said:
OK, have a look at these, all of these varieties were raised successfully last season.
I had no idea that even some of these existed, are you ready ?
You can see how many strains have been cross bred to produce what you see here, amazing, huh ?
You can see that 7 pot and the trinidad's are the most crossed.
Any that strike your fancy that you would be interested in growing ?

Bahamian Goat Pepper
Of course this appeals to me, and look, they're offering land to people that want to grow it! Let's see, living in the Bahama's growing peppers for profit. I can think of worse things. :tongue2:

And the Bahamian goat pepper is in such demand, GRAC cannot produce sufficient seeds which are distributed through the Ministry of Agriculture’s Fish and Farm store, Potter’s Cay Dock. “The potential is great for business,” said Mr Miller, “however farmers will have to unite. What we have found is that you can grow peppers all year round. There is no season for peppers.”

He noted that as an incentive Bahamas Agricultural and Industrial Corporation making land available to persons interested in farming.

http://bahamaislandsinfo.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3404:goat-peppers-take-the-spotlight&catid=61:nassau-and-paradise-island-news&Itemid=164

I want to grow peppers in the Bahamas! I'm sick of snow, and my arthritic joints are sick of the cold. Even in cooler weather, hoop-houses should allow full production year-round.

BTW, hoop-houses are cheap to put up. After every hurricane, you'd have to spring for some new poly sheathing. The tomato greenhouses in the next town are somewhat weather-proof (they can shed snow) and warm and they have their own "guest" bumblebees to pollinate the flowers. It takes a big investment to grow vegetables year-round up here, but they're doing it and shipping to distributors all over the northeast that serve stores and restaurants. They keep a lot of people working, and they hire my friend's trucking company to supply refrigerated trailers and distribute immediately after harvest.

rhody said:
Ever since my post on the Nagaland research paper claiming that these plants get eight to ten feet tall, I thought I would put that rumor to
rest once and for all, are you ready for this, I hope so, I give you Alabama Jack. And yes he MUST be growing those for sale, unbelievable right ?
That is some serious heat in that field.

08-08-11 Trinidad Scorpion Project in Mississippi

Check this out about two months before, getting everything ready to transplant.
There are more video's of his in the sidebar in case you are interested.

081710a 001

Follow up on the post of Alabama Jacks plants, he planted them March 24, 2011, and as of Oct 2011 produced what you see here, about 6 months, 12" offset in a 36" wide bed...on 24" centers in Mississippi delta land sandy loam. Pretty amazing growth for 6 months, uh ?

Rhody...

turbo said:
Here is a good source of seeds. They call themselves Totally Tomatoes, but the company has a very nice selection of pepper seeds, including hot varieties.

http://www.totallytomato.com/dc.asp?c=11

I wish I knew about thm before placing my seed order. I already have too much on the way, so would just want some Thai chilis For this year. I have a friend from Thailand who cooks a lot of Thai food for us at work, and has commented on wishing she could find Thai chilis around here, so I could contribute to the food fund by offering chilis. I'm the only one that can eat her spicy dishes without a bucket of water. :biggrin: But their shipping would be more than the seed packet for such a small order. I'll have to wait for next year.

Turbo,

Just had some more of your, burp, habanero relish with hot dogs, thanks...

Rhody...

Moonbear said:
I wish I knew about thm before placing my seed order. I already have too much on the way, so would just want some Thai chilis For this year. I have a friend from Thailand who cooks a lot of Thai food for us at work, and has commented on wishing she could find Thai chilis around here, so I could contribute to the food fund by offering chilis. I'm the only one that can eat her spicy dishes without a bucket of water. :biggrin: But their shipping would be more than the seed packet for such a small order. I'll have to wait for next year.
I should share more of these. Sorry to drop the ball. Between my neighbor and myself (organic gardeners) we get more seed catalogs than we can handle, and I sometimes forget to post links. Totally Tomatoes is a really great company, though, and when you order from them, they include free packets of seeds that they want to promote, free mini soil-test kits, etc. Plus, the germination rates of most of their seeds are wonderful!

rhody said:
Turbo,

Just had some more of your, burp, habanero relish with hot dogs, thanks...

Rhody...
Wait until I can get a crop of ripe habs and make relish. You'll learn respect for the chili!

Rhody, your plants look amazing!

turbo said:
Wait until I can get a crop of ripe habs and make relish. You'll learn respect for the chili!
No Turbo, ghosts or scorpions, there will not be a person on the planet who would not have respect for relish made with those.

Thanks for the thumbs up Evo, they are like little kids, you have to fuss over them.

Rhody... :smile:

rhody said:
No Turbo, ghosts or scorpions, there will not be a person on the planet who would not have respect for relish made with those.
Just wait, roadster! If I can get a good growing season, I'll send you some Caribbean Red relish. Nobody eats it except me. Others have just dropped out. The flavor is wonderful, and it is a fantastic ingredient in sauces and marinades, but it is simply too hot for most people to put (neat) on hot-dog buns or hamburgers.

Hotter and hotter chilies may emerge, but at some point, that escalation is moot, because most people can't eat the products.

White ghost seeds are in. I have a limited number to share, first come first served basis, all that I ask is to send a SASE in a PM to me, I will send the first comers a few. Ready, set go, run forest run !
Please don't be disappointed if you miss the opportunity, I will have plenty to share this fall if they grow and produce, starting a three day soak before planting now.

P.S. FYI Evo PM'd me already so she is getting seeds for sure.

Last edited:
Thanks for your generosity, Rhody. I have so many varieties of peppers that I want to grow for various purposes that I can't really take on more of them for this season. I have a garden-plot that is about 2100 ft^2 now, and it's tough to wedge in more crops. My wife and I rely on garlic, onions, root vegetables, frozen peppers, home-made marinara sauces (and too much other stuff to list!) that it's always a pain just trying to order our seeds.

We have two large chest freezers plus a freezer under the 'fridge, and I can as much stuff as I can every year. Still, when the harvest comes in (even in off year) it can be daunting to find places to preserve everything.

If I could stand being around people with fragrances (even in their clothing - detergents and fabric-softeners) I'd love to be able to apprentice some growers and show them how to preserve, prepare, and store food properly. I learned all this from my mother and my grandmother, and the knowledge is fading.

turbo said:
If I could stand being around people with fragrances (even in their clothing - detergents and fabric-softeners) I'd love to be able to apprentice some growers and show them how to preserve, prepare, and store food properly. I learned all this from my mother and my grandmother, and the knowledge is fading.
Book time turbo? Or maybe a video?

dlgoff said:
Book time turbo? Or maybe a video?
I don't know if either would gain traction. I learned gardening, harvesting, preservation, etc, very gradually as I grew up. I love growing hot peppers, and my wife and I have found ways to keep them. I tend to process the best of the chilies by canning. My wife tends to freeze stuff like that. I'll do a late-fall harvest of chilies, and she'll slice them and quick-freeze them on cookie-sheets in the chest freezers and slide them into big Zip-Lock bags for later use.

We have developed some techniques that work well, over the years. I do most of the boiling-water canning, since I spend my time here at home. I'd like to take on an apprentice or two and get some useful work out of them in the planting, tending, harvesting, preserving stages, though. A lot of very valuable knowledge is fading in the age of boxed meals and canned meals.

turbo said:
I don't know if either would gain traction. I learned gardening, harvesting, preservation, etc, very gradually as I grew up. I love growing hot peppers, and my wife and I have found ways to keep them. I tend to process the best of the chilies by canning. My wife tends to freeze stuff like that. I'll do a late-fall harvest of chilies, and she'll slice them and quick-freeze them on cookie-sheets in the chest freezers and slide them into big Zip-Lock bags for later use.

We have developed some techniques that work well, over the years. I do most of the boiling-water canning, since I spend my time here at home. I'd like to take on an apprentice or two and get some useful work out of them in the planting, tending, harvesting, preserving stages, though. A lot of very valuable knowledge is fading in the age of boxed meals and canned meals.

Hah, here's an idea, find a family of preppers and in exchange for their labor teach them your skills and to sweeten the deal, give them some of the canned goods. Sounds like a win win to me.

Rhody...

rhody said:
White ghost seeds are in. I have a limited number to share, first come first served basis, all that I ask is to send a SASE in a PM to me, I will send the first comers a few. Ready, set go, run forest run !
Please don't be disappointed if you miss the opportunity, I will have plenty to share this fall if they grow and produce, starting a three day soak before planting now.

P.S. FYI Evo PM'd me already so she is getting seeds for sure.
Only one person, Evo has taken me up on the offer so far...

Rhody...

Again, thanks for your generosity rhody. I have no sunny windows to start plants, and I hate to impose on my neighbor with a decent greenhouse. I still have so many varieties of chilies to start and plant that I'd have to expand the garden to plant more. I'm pretty much set on raising Red Savinas, Hungarian wax, poblanos, cayennes, jalapenos, because I have so many uses for them. This year, I have to shoehorn in the plants grown from the ghost seeds and fruits that you sent me. I guess if I till up more of that side lawn there would be less to mow...

Check this out folks, the new heat champ, moruga scorpion.
The Moruga Scorpion is the first chilli pepper we have seen that has cleared the 2 million Scoville Units seen in the lasted set of results from the Department of Plant and Environmental Sciences at New Mexico State University, where it reported a high of 2,009,231 SHU, a mean heat of 1,207,764 SHU and a low of 580,192 SHU.

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/5313/morugascorpion.jpg [Broken]

Sorry, I had to screen grab these things (see above), they look positively evil. Jim Duffy from Refining Fire Chiles in San Diego who I bought my trinidad scorpion seeds from created these and had them tested. Here is http://store.myorganicseeds.com/Chile-Pepper-Seeds-C149695.aspx?sid=14895?s=Name%20ASC&p=3 of Jim's seed sale pages. He doesn't have any moruga scorpion seeds for sale, yet. Needless to say, heat stressing them probably makes all the difference in the scoville range, which is very wide indeed. Jim uses an NFT hydro system to grow his chilies, here is a short video of one here. If you want to see how one industrious grower from the UK jump started his passion, Wiltshire Chilli Farm, have a look here.

Rhody... :bugeye:

turbo said:
Again, thanks for your generosity rhody. I have no sunny windows to start plants, and I hate to impose on my neighbor with a decent greenhouse. I still have so many varieties of chilies to start and plant that I'd have to expand the garden to plant more. I'm pretty much set on raising Red Savinas, Hungarian wax, poblanos, cayennes, jalapenos, because I have so many uses for them. This year, I have to shoehorn in the plants grown from the ghost seeds and fruits that you sent me. I guess if I till up more of that side lawn there would be less to mow...
Put one in a pot on your deck. Heck, I'm growing everything on a small covered patio.

Evo said:
Put one in a pot on your deck. Heck, I'm growing everything on a small covered patio.
Yeah, heck and while you are at it, spring for a heat mat, $29 and a decent grow light $70, $100 bucks and you are set, the white ghost seeds will be in the mail tomorrow. Hehe... I like that Evo pushes Turbo, news at eleven... Time to push back Turbo, what say you ?

Rhody... o:)

An update on pepper growth, I am amazed at what a small heat mat, blue spectrum grow light, some aluminum foil underneath and a light fan has on the plants.
You will note the robust stem sprouts bhut jolokia chocolate, and how lust and dark green they are, temps during the day never more than mid 70's in the room, I keep them close together too, they seem to like the canopy overlapping them. I move them every couple of days, water when dry and stressed and feed with weak miracle grow about every two weeks. I am starting to pinch off flower buds because it is too soon for them.

This is a grow and sauce making experimental year for me, next year I hope to start more plants, low hundreds, and create sauces, etc... to start selling locally and through the internet.

I have a friend with a decade's experience in making sauces. He has dabbled with peppers, habs mostly, people he has given them to love his products. I need some fresh and or dried peppers (about 6 of each), in the medium hot, hot and very hot categorizes to perform sauce alchemy experiments. I am willing to barter my PC skills (software engineer, 30 years) for them. If no one needs software work I am willing to send a SASE box to you, with payment (negotiated privately) for the experimental peppers I need. If we come up with something our test subjects rave about we will try organizing local tastings at local eateries where people who appreciate hot stuff frequent.

I posted the above content on thehotpepper forum. I need some peppers to play with making sauces. You can see the steady growth in the past few weeks.

Here is an interesting summary of crossing chili plants, a good read IMHO.

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/2936/bjts1.jpg [Broken]

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/1961/bjtstop1.jpg [Broken]

Rhody...

Evo, Turbo,

One of my white ghosts has sprouted no douglahs though, I started two of each, have you started white ghost seeds yet ?

Rhody... :wink:

Rhody,

My first try on 10 ripe ghost seeds didn't germinate so I started some of the un-ripe ones (which actually looked better). Yes, I had a heat pad and light. :confused:

<h2>1. What is the Scoville Heat Unit (SHU) of Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce?</h2><p>The Scoville Heat Unit (SHU) of Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce is approximately 100,000 to 350,000 SHU. This means it is considered to be a very hot sauce and may not be suitable for those who are sensitive to spicy foods.</p><h2>2. How is Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce made?</h2><p>Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce is made by blending fresh habanero peppers with vinegar, salt, and other spices. The ingredients are then cooked and blended to create a smooth and flavorful sauce. The sauce is then bottled and ready to be enjoyed.</p><h2>3. Is Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce gluten-free?</h2><p>Yes, Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce is gluten-free. It does not contain any wheat, barley, or rye, which are common sources of gluten. However, it is always recommended to check the ingredients list for any potential allergens before consuming.</p><h2>4. How should Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce be stored?</h2><p>Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce should be stored in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. It is best to refrigerate after opening to maintain its freshness and flavor. It is also important to use a clean spoon or utensil when serving to prevent contamination.</p><h2>5. Can Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce be used in cooking?</h2><p>Yes, Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce can be used in cooking to add a spicy kick to your dishes. It can be used as a marinade, added to soups or stews, or used as a dipping sauce. However, it is important to use it in moderation as it is a very hot sauce and can easily overpower other flavors.</p>

1. What is the Scoville Heat Unit (SHU) of Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce?

The Scoville Heat Unit (SHU) of Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce is approximately 100,000 to 350,000 SHU. This means it is considered to be a very hot sauce and may not be suitable for those who are sensitive to spicy foods.

2. How is Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce made?

Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce is made by blending fresh habanero peppers with vinegar, salt, and other spices. The ingredients are then cooked and blended to create a smooth and flavorful sauce. The sauce is then bottled and ready to be enjoyed.

3. Is Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce gluten-free?

Yes, Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce is gluten-free. It does not contain any wheat, barley, or rye, which are common sources of gluten. However, it is always recommended to check the ingredients list for any potential allergens before consuming.

4. How should Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce be stored?

Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce should be stored in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. It is best to refrigerate after opening to maintain its freshness and flavor. It is also important to use a clean spoon or utensil when serving to prevent contamination.

5. Can Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce be used in cooking?

Yes, Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce can be used in cooking to add a spicy kick to your dishes. It can be used as a marinade, added to soups or stews, or used as a dipping sauce. However, it is important to use it in moderation as it is a very hot sauce and can easily overpower other flavors.