Impedance Matching for "Electrically Short" Coaxial Lines at 125 MHz

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a coaxial line with SMA connections to connect two devices operating at 125 MHz. It is noted that if the transmission line is electrically short (less than 0.6 meters), impedance matching may not be necessary. However, this is not always the case and it is important to consider the source and load impedances to ensure proper matching. The conversation also mentions the use of the Smith Chart to design a matching network and the importance of considering the propagation velocity of the coaxial line. Additionally, it is emphasized that impedance matching is important even with short transmission lines to avoid power loss and potential damage to the final stage.
satchmo05
Hey all,

Between two devices, I will need to have a coaxial line (with SMA connections on either end) connecting them. The operating frequency of the signal I am propagating is approximately 125 MHz. With this said, the wavelength (assuming ideal) is 2.4 meters.

I have heard from numerous sources that if electrically 'long,' it is greater than 0.25λ, which is any length larger than 0.6 meters. Any transmission line length smaller than 0.6 meters is considered "electrically short."

My question is in regards to impedance matching: if my transmission line is "electrically short," do I need to worry about impedance matching? Obviously, everything would be happy if I matched at the load, but I'm interested to know if I can skip a step. My thought is that since I'm at such a high frequency, attenuation and loss effects will be near negligible.

Thoughts? Thanks for your help!

- Satchmo05

Engineering news on Phys.org

More info please. If the input and output impedances are the same then the length of the line is not significant. Of course they should match the impedance of the line that connects them unless the line is considerably shorter than a wavelength. Like 0.1λ.
-
Why do you equate high frequency to negligible attenuation?

I guess what I should've asked is when do I not have to worry about impedance matching, in terms of transmission line length? When less than 0.25 lambda? When electrically small (< 0.1 lambda)?

My reasoning there was more of a length issue: attenuation constants, line capacitance, line impedance, etc. are all measured in meters. If my coax line is less than 0.1 lambda < 0.24 m, then minimal attenuation can be expected.

satchmo05 said:
Hey all,

Between two devices, I will need to have a coaxial line (with SMA connections on either end) connecting them. The operating frequency of the signal I am propagating is approximately 125 MHz. With this said, the wavelength (assuming ideal) is 2.4 meters.
First, assume the [itex]\epsilon_r=4\;[/itex] velocity is about half of speed of light which is 1.5EE8 m/s. At 125MHz, λ= 1.2m, what you have is free air velocity.
I have heard from numerous sources that if electrically 'long,' it is greater than 0.25λ, which is any length larger than 0.6 meters. Any transmission line length smaller than 0.6 meters is considered "electrically short."
The is not correct at all. A short to the source is only refer to an open end coax 0.25λ long from the source. Any length longer or shorter will not be a short anymore.
My question is in regards to impedance matching: if my transmission line is "electrically short," do I need to worry about impedance matching? Obviously, everything would be happy if I matched at the load, but I'm interested to know if I can skip a step. My thought is that since I'm at such a high frequency, attenuation and loss effects will be near negligible.

Thoughts? Thanks for your help!

- Satchmo05
Transmission line matching has to is a lot more complicated. The easiest way is to plot the source and load impedance onto the Smith Chart, then you need to design a network using either tx line or other elements to connect the two points, then you match the circuit. If you need the transmission line in between, then you plot the two points, then draw the circle from the load with center at the center of the graph. Find the length and add element to move to the source point. It is a lot more complicated. Very few cases you can just use a section of coax and get perfect match.

You also need to remember that the wavelength in free space is not the same as the wavelength in coax. You need to look up the propagation velocity for the coax you're using and divide your wavelength by that percentage.

You do have to worry about impedance matching even with short transmission lines. RF engineers match impedances between stages even though the electrical length is essentially zero. When the impedances are not matched, some of the energy is reflected from the load reducing the power out. Also that reflected energy can cause the final stage to heat up and even go into oscillation.

A quarter wavelength transmission line can be your worst case. If you have a quarter wavelength attached to your source and forget to connect a load, the open at the end of the transmission line will appear to be a short at the last stage and may destroy the transistor.

If you can give us the complex impedances of your source and load, we can help you match them.

1. What is impedance matching for "electrically short" coaxial lines at 125 MHz?

Impedance matching is the process of adjusting the electrical properties of a transmission line to ensure that the source and load have the same impedance, allowing for maximum power transfer. "Electrically short" coaxial lines refer to lines that are shorter than a quarter-wavelength at the operating frequency, in this case, 125 MHz.

2. Why is impedance matching important for "electrically short" coaxial lines at 125 MHz?

Impedance matching is important because it minimizes signal reflections and loss, which can distort the signal and reduce its strength. In "electrically short" coaxial lines, the mismatch between the source and load impedances can be significant due to the short length of the line, making impedance matching crucial for optimal performance.

3. How is impedance matching achieved for "electrically short" coaxial lines at 125 MHz?

Impedance matching for "electrically short" coaxial lines can be achieved through various methods such as using a matching network or adding a quarter-wavelength transformer. These methods adjust the electrical properties of the line to match the source and load impedances, allowing for maximum power transfer.

4. What are the consequences of not achieving impedance matching for "electrically short" coaxial lines at 125 MHz?

If impedance matching is not achieved, a significant portion of the signal may be reflected back to the source, resulting in signal distortion and loss. This can lead to reduced performance and reliability of the system, as well as increased interference and noise.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations to achieving impedance matching for "electrically short" coaxial lines at 125 MHz?

Yes, there can be challenges and limitations in achieving impedance matching for "electrically short" coaxial lines at 125 MHz. These include the complexity and cost of implementing matching networks or transformers, as well as the difficulty in accurately measuring and adjusting the line's impedance at such high frequencies.