General theory of relativity clearly explained

In summary: I like MTW - it'll be a more advanced treatment than "Exploring black holes", although MTW is also available online.
aditya23456
I m new to general theory of relativity,so I would like to study it but wikipedia has so many links which is really difficult to sort..Anyone please suggest a better link so that I can learn GR without any difficulty.THANKS IN ADVANCE

Physics news on Phys.org
What background do yo have in physics and math?

physics...but can understand maths if explained a bit descriptively..I can't get manifold concept clearly..So a link with better mathematical understanding is what I m searching for..thanks if you help me out for this..

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you already know much about the special theory of relativity? You need to know that before you move on to the general theory.

Yea..I understood lorentz transformation but with tensors it has been a mystery for me..I can't visualise the situation which is needed for learning application of GR

please. can anyone post a link explaining stuff graphically and application point of view.!

I'd suggest Taylor's "Exploring Black Holes". You'll eventually have to buy the book if you like it, but you can find the first two chapters online at Taylor's website:
http://www.eftaylor.com/download.html#general_relativity

Also worthy of note is "General Relativity from A to B" by Geroch (which is also a book).

Ben Crowell, a sometimes moderator here, also has a free online book, I'm not quite sure where it's at.

Finally, if it's tensors that are the issue, and if you are already familiar with electromagnetism to some extent, you might try learning about them in the context of classical electromagnetism first. I think Griffiths and Jackson's E&M books both have at least a little bit about tensors.

[add]Jackson isn't particularly math-friendly (understatement), but it's still easier to learn tensors in a familiar context before trying to apply them to GR.

Last edited:
pervect said:
I think Griffiths and Jackson's E&M books both have at least a little bit about tensors.

Griffiths has what looks like a decent introduction to tensors in the context of SR and E&M, although I've never actually worked my way through it myself.

Yale Relativitylectures here

Ben Crowell's book here:

http://www.lightandmatter.com/html_books/genrel/ A summary of GR here:

http://brucel.spoonfedrelativity.com/

And a hodgepodge of links:

http://casa.colorado.edu/~ajsh/relativity.html

and Special Relativity http://casa.colorado.edu/~ajsh/sr/sr.shtml:

I suggest to get a copy of Misner, Thorne, and Wheeler - Gravitation. It's a big, thick book, but filled with clear explanations. There are copies available online.

phyzguy said:
I suggest to get a copy of Misner, Thorne, and Wheeler - Gravitation. It's a big, thick book, but filled with clear explanations. There are copies available online.

I like MTW - it'll be a more advanced treatment than "Exploring black holes", however.

1. What is the general theory of relativity?

The general theory of relativity is a theory of gravitation developed by Albert Einstein in 1915. It is a theory that explains the force of gravity as a result of the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy.

2. How is the general theory of relativity different from Newton's theory of gravity?

The general theory of relativity is a more comprehensive and accurate theory of gravitation compared to Newton's theory. It takes into account the effects of acceleration, time dilation, and the warping of spacetime, while Newton's theory only explains gravity as a force between masses.

3. Can you explain the concept of spacetime in the general theory of relativity?

In the general theory of relativity, spacetime is a four-dimensional continuum in which events occur. It is not a fixed background, but rather a dynamic entity that can be affected by the presence of mass and energy, causing it to curve and warp.

4. How does the general theory of relativity explain the phenomenon of gravitational time dilation?

According to the general theory of relativity, time is relative and can be affected by gravity. The stronger the gravitational field, the slower time passes. This means that time will pass more slowly for an object in a strong gravitational field compared to an object in a weaker gravitational field.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the general theory of relativity?

Yes, the general theory of relativity has been successfully used to explain various phenomena in the universe, such as the bending of light around massive objects, the orbit of planets around the sun, and the behavior of black holes. It is also the basis for GPS technology and has been confirmed by numerous experiments and observations.