Eliminating Elements in Commercial FEA Solvers

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of eliminating elements in commercial FEA solvers. There is a criterion, such as stress or strain, at which elements are eliminated. The concern is that this may lead to incorrect results as the material in the eliminated elements becomes null. The type of analysis being discussed is explicit, specifically, impact analysis. The only context where elements are typically eliminated in an explicit FEA solve is in an explosion or destructive impact event, where the material is damaged or deformed beyond its capacity to transmit loads. However, it ultimately depends on the specific definition of "eliminating elements" in this context.
pukb
I want to why actually elements are eliminated in commercial fea solvers.
There is a criterion like stress or strain at which elements having acheived that state are eliminated.
Wouldnt it lead to wrong results because, the material at eliminated elements place has become null.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What type of analysis are you talking about here?

"Eliminating elements" could mean different things in different contexts.

I was trying to understand ball impact on a steel plate. So we can take it as explicit, impact analysis.
I am talking about elimination of elements of plate on impact of the ball.

The only context I can think of where elements are "eliminated" in an explicit FEA solve would be in an explosion or destructive impact event where material is being destroyed.

Mech_Engineer said:
The only context I can think of where elements are "eliminated" in an explicit FEA solve would be in an explosion or destructive impact event where material is being destroyed.

"Destroyed" isn't quite the right word, but if the material in an element is deformed or damaged so much that it can no longer transmit any loads (e.g. the compressive stress exceeds the crushing strength of the material) deleting the element from the model is a simple way to represent that behaviour.

As you said AlephZero, it all depends on what he means by "eliminating elements."

1. What are the benefits of eliminating elements in commercial FEA solvers?

Eliminating elements in commercial FEA solvers can lead to faster and more efficient simulations. By removing unnecessary elements, the solver can focus on the most critical areas of the model, resulting in quicker run times and better accuracy.

2. How can I determine which elements to eliminate in my FEA model?

The decision to eliminate elements should be based on the specific needs of your simulation. Generally, elements that are far from the areas of interest or have little impact on the results can be removed without affecting the accuracy of the simulation. It is important to consult with an FEA expert to determine the best approach for your specific model.

3. Will eliminating elements affect the accuracy of my simulation?

If done correctly, eliminating elements should not significantly impact the accuracy of the simulation. As long as the critical areas of the model are still adequately represented, the results should remain accurate. However, it is important to carefully consider which elements to eliminate and to validate the results after making any changes.

4. Are there any limitations to eliminating elements in commercial FEA solvers?

While eliminating elements can have many benefits, there are some limitations to consider. For example, if the model has complex geometries or includes nonlinear material behavior, eliminating elements may not be as effective. It is important to carefully evaluate the model and consult with an FEA expert before making any changes.

5. Can I eliminate elements in all types of FEA simulations?

The ability to eliminate elements may vary depending on the type of FEA simulation being performed. For example, it may be more feasible to eliminate elements in a linear static analysis compared to a dynamic analysis. It is important to understand the capabilities and limitations of your FEA software before attempting to eliminate elements in a simulation.