My First Telescope Observation: Jupiter & 4 Moons

• Thread starter Kazza_765
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Observation
Jupiter is always a good place to start, though. In summary, The speaker recently acquired a 12" dobsonian telescope and had their first clear night to use it. Despite light pollution and other obstacles, they were able to see Jupiter with several bands and four moons. They are excited to continue using their telescope and hope to find Saturn soon.
Kazza_765
I just picked up my first telescope today, a 12" dobsonian. We've had clouds for the last 2 weeks, but thank god tonight was a clear night. Despite the light pollution, telephone wires, aerials, buildings etc, I was able to find Jupiter. It was absolutely incredible. Could make out several bands across the surface, and 4 moons. I need to learn to use my finderscope better before I can find some fainter things, but damn it was exciting tonight. Can't wait to see Saturn's rings.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Congratulations -- Always exciting seeing what a new scope can do.

Find Saturn soon, though, or you'll have to wait until January.

Congratulations! A 12" scope can do wonders. Get to a dark-sky site when you can, and prepare to be amazed. Just scan around for a while after your scope has cooled down and your eyes are dark-adapted. You will see more "faint fuzzies" than you can shake a stick at.

1. What is the best time to observe Jupiter and its moons with a telescope?

The best time to observe Jupiter and its moons with a telescope is when the planet is at its highest point in the sky, which is usually around midnight. This allows for a clearer and more stable view.

2. Can I see Jupiter and its moons with a beginner telescope?

Yes, Jupiter and its four largest moons (Io, Europa, Ganymede, and Callisto) are visible with a beginner telescope. However, the quality of your telescope will affect the level of detail you can see.

3. How far away is Jupiter from Earth during my observation?

The distance between Jupiter and Earth varies depending on the position of the two planets in their respective orbits. However, on average, Jupiter is about 365 million miles away from Earth during observation.

4. How can I identify Jupiter's moons during my observation?

The four largest moons of Jupiter can be identified by their relative positions to the planet. Io is closest to Jupiter, followed by Europa, Ganymede, and then Callisto. They also appear as tiny dots of light near Jupiter.

5. Can I see Jupiter's Great Red Spot during my observation?

Yes, it is possible to see Jupiter's Great Red Spot with a telescope. It is a large, oval-shaped storm on the planet's surface that is usually visible with a telescope with a diameter of 4 inches or more.