Cancer and Evolution: Understanding the Connection and Dispelling Misconceptions

In summary, cancer, evolution, and radioactive mutation are all physical processes, but the difference between them lies in human perception. While beneficial changes are referred to as evolution and useless changes as mutation, both are still considered mutations. Cancer is not a result of evolution gone wrong, but rather a consequence of defective genes and proteins. Cancer cells do not undergo mutations or adaptations like viruses, but rather reproduce uncontrollably.
Pythagorean
Gold Member
The source is lost to me now, but I remember hearing that cancer and evolution (and even radioactive mutation) are all the same physical process, and that the difference between them is human conception.

That is, if the changes result in what was see as a benefit, we call it evolution, but if it results in a useless augmentation, we call it mutation.

Any experts or pseudo-experts (students) that can clear this up?

Biology news on Phys.org
There is no relationship of cancer (a process of cells) with evolution (a process of species). All species undergoing evolution would be expected to have some individuals die of cancer. But you also include mutation, which of course is related to both cancer and evolution. Here are the relationships between the three:
faulty mutation = cancer
adaptive mutation = evolution
Your concept of faulty evolution is called extinction.

Rade said:
faulty mutation = cancer
I think this is what he was trying to say.

DaveC426913 said:
I think this is what he was trying to say.

indeed. Thank you for your responses

just to confuse the issue, try this...
http://scienceblogs.com/loom/2006/08/09/an_old_dog_lives_on_inside_new.php
(cancer tumor becoming a new lifeform?)

Last edited by a moderator:
faulty mutation = cancer
adaptive mutation = evolution

i'd have to agree with that.

jxs919 said:
faulty mutation = cancer
Only if it causes an out-of-control cell growth, yes? Some mutations have no effect.

Seems to me that cancer and evolution are related in a way. Cancer cells are better at surviving and reproducing than other cells, because they've escaped the body's controls on cell division. This allows them to increase their population much faster than other cells. They have adaptations to help them survive, like the ability to grow in huge masses without contact inhibition, the ability to induce capillaries to grow towards them and provide them with a blood supply, the ability to metastasize, etc. This is "survival of the fittest" too. Unfortunately this is not adaptive for the organism as a whole, so it's only fit in the short term. Long ago we were unicellular, but then cells started living together as multicellular beings, so they had to find ways to get along. But you can always expect some "selfish" cells to find ways around that, like selfish individuals in a society.

I also think all mutations are "faulty." Some of them just happen to have benficial effects.

nipwoni said:
Seems to me that cancer and evolution are related in a way. Cancer cells are better at surviving and reproducing than other cells, because they've escaped the body's controls on cell division. This allows them to increase their population much faster than other cells.
But it also does so at the expense of the body, on which those cells are dependent. Its like any parasite which kills its host, it is likely to cause its own extinction.

nipwoni said:
They have adaptations to help them survive, like the ability to grow in huge masses without contact inhibition, the ability to induce capillaries to grow towards them and provide them with a blood supply, the ability to metastasize, etc. This is "survival of the fittest" too. Unfortunately this is not adaptive for the organism as a whole, so it's only fit in the short term. Long ago we were unicellular, but then cells started living together as multicellular beings, so they had to find ways to get along. But you can always expect some "selfish" cells to find ways around that, like selfish individuals in a society.
Ahh yes, maybe i should have finished reading your post :)

In a way you can call anything evolution which displays variation in a generational replication under the force of selection. Every single cell in our body may 'evolve', but selection quickly culls the 99.9...% of the mutations because they are 1. Inappropriate for a multicellular organism, 2. They aren't the germ cells and so never survive longer than max 100 years.

So from an extreme point of view, sure, cancer cells have evolved, and have been or are being selected against
(they are always counter adaptive). But more commonly we only think of thinigs 'evolving' when they mutate into something beneficial in the long term. And I think the long term (thousands+ of generations) is the really important bit. With that consideration, no somatic cell mutation will ever be considered to have 'evolved', because it has no long term affect.

cancer is faulty evolution. you get cancer when defective genes express defective proteins that cause uncontrollable cellular prolifration.

that is cancer. whether its gettin you skin mutated by the sun or havin a genetic predisposition.. both lead to it.

jxs919 said:
cancer is faulty evolution.
Not quite. Individuals do not evolve. Populations do.

Pythagorean said:
The source is lost to me now, but I remember hearing that cancer and evolution (and even radioactive mutation) are all the same physical process, and that the difference between them is human conception.

That is, if the changes result in what was see as a benefit, we call it evolution, but if it results in a useless augmentation, we call it mutation.

Any experts or pseudo-experts (students) that can clear this up?

Both positive and benign mutations are referred to as mutations. 5 million years ago, chimp-like animals were born with mutated skull structures, and these mutants eventually went on to become humans.

So cancer isn't really evolution 'going wrong'. Consider this: A human is born with a disposition toward developing cancer, and later in life the human develops cancer and dies. But if the human managed to have children before they died, then evolution hasn't 'gone wrong' in a survival-of-the-fittest sense.

Cancer itself isn't really an example of evolution (AFAIK). Cells inside the human body just start reproducing wildly, but the cancer cells aren't undergoing any mutations or adaptations in the way that a virus might. I could be wrong.

What is the connection between cancer and faulty evolution?

Cancer is a disease caused by abnormal and uncontrolled cell growth. These cells can accumulate genetic mutations that result in the loss of normal cellular functions and the ability to regulate growth. This process is similar to the evolutionary process of natural selection, where mutations can lead to advantageous or disadvantageous traits. In the case of cancer, these mutations are harmful and lead to the development of the disease.

Can faulty evolution be blamed for all cases of cancer?

No, not all cases of cancer can be attributed to faulty evolution. While mutations in genes are a major factor in the development of cancer, there are other risk factors such as environmental factors, lifestyle choices, and hereditary factors that can also play a role in the development of cancer.

How does faulty evolution contribute to the spread of cancer?

The process of faulty evolution, in which mutated cells are able to survive and replicate, allows cancer cells to grow and spread throughout the body. These cells are able to evade the body's natural defenses and continue to grow and divide, leading to the spread of cancer to other tissues and organs.

Can understanding faulty evolution help in the treatment of cancer?

Yes, understanding the underlying mechanisms of faulty evolution can aid in the development of new and more effective treatments for cancer. By targeting the specific mutations and pathways involved in cancer development, scientists can develop therapies that specifically target cancer cells and spare healthy cells.

What is being done to address the role of faulty evolution in cancer?

Scientists are constantly researching and studying the role of faulty evolution in cancer development. This includes studying the genetic mutations involved, identifying risk factors, and developing new treatments. Additionally, efforts are being made to raise awareness about preventative measures and screenings to catch cancer early on, when it is most treatable.