Comparison of students from Great Universities and Normal Universities

In summary: Just make sure you have a good idea of what you want to do and what research interests you have before you apply.
Kinn Sein
Hi all,
Is it 100% sure that students graduated from great universities like UC Berkeley or Stanford are much more qualified than those from normal State Universities? Is it 100% sure that alumni of great universities are much more likely to become famous such as inventors or scientists? What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, of coure it's not 100% sure. Good schools can help people realize their full potential, but it's not like Stanford cranks out nothing but famous people, and state schools crank out nothing but hair dressers. Self-discipline, interest and personal motivation will take you farther than any degree could on its own.

Honestly, this country is awash in excellent schools, many of which are essentially unheard of. You can obtain a very good education, at a very reasonable price, from a very large number of schools. You don't need to attend Stanford to be successful.

- Warren

one of the more eminent profs in my school's department got his phd from syracuse, hardly on anyone's radar for a top physics school (or anything except basketball, i think!).

Just going down the list of major stellar astrophysicists, and where they got their PhDs (people I actually know):

Joyce Guzik -- Iowa State (just named Laboratory Fellow, my mentor)
Arthur Cox -- Indiana University (anyone in stellar astrophysics should be familiar with at least some of the work he has done in the past 40 years)
William Pesnell -- University of Florida
Dale Ostlie -- Iowa State
Paul Bradley -- University of Texas at Austin

And that's just what I can think of off the top of my head. Not one of them went to a 'top-ten school', and all have had quite successful careers as scientists.

Seriously, this obsession people have with going to a 'brand-name' school is idiotic. You should be picking grad schools based on specific research interests, not the brochure.

are admission to grad schools hard? i am an ugrad so i would like to know.. specifically for maths and physics. the only things i know heck about.

ugrad was sure tough as i am also an international, MIT, caltech, princeton brushed me off like i was a fly on their noses... maybe a DOA in fact. but can't stop my dreams here haha (so corny)

thanks

franznietzsche said:
Just going down the list of major stellar astrophysicists, and where they got their PhDs (people I actually know):

Joyce Guzik -- Iowa State (just named Laboratory Fellow, my mentor)
Arthur Cox -- Indiana University (anyone in stellar astrophysics should be familiar with at least some of the work he has done in the past 40 years)
William Pesnell -- University of Florida
Dale Ostlie -- Iowa State
Paul Bradley -- University of Texas at Austin

And that's just what I can think of off the top of my head. Not one of them went to a 'top-ten school', and all have had quite successful careers as scientists.

Seriously, this obsession people have with going to a 'brand-name' school is idiotic. You should be picking grad schools based on specific research interests, not the brochure.

None of the schools you listed there are anything to scoff at though, really.

1. How do students from Great Universities and Normal Universities differ?

The main difference between students from Great Universities and Normal Universities is the level of academic rigor and prestige associated with the institution. Great Universities tend to have higher admission standards and offer more challenging coursework, leading to higher academic achievement among their students. They also often have more resources and opportunities for students, such as research opportunities, internships, and networking events.

2. Are students from Great Universities more successful in their careers?

While attending a Great University may provide students with advantages and opportunities, success in one's career is not solely determined by the institution they attended. Factors such as individual drive, ambition, and dedication also play a significant role. Additionally, success can be defined in different ways and may not always equate to career achievements.

3. Do students from Normal Universities receive a lower quality education?

The quality of education is subjective and can vary among different universities, regardless of their classification. While Great Universities are often associated with academic excellence, Normal Universities can also provide a high-quality education and prepare students for successful careers. The key is to find a university that fits one's individual needs and goals.

4. How do the tuition costs compare between Great Universities and Normal Universities?

Tuition costs can vary greatly between universities, regardless of their classification. Generally, Great Universities tend to have higher tuition due to their prestige and resources. However, financial aid and scholarships can make attending a Great University more affordable for students.

5. Are students from Great Universities more likely to be successful in graduate school?

Attending a Great University may provide students with a strong academic foundation and valuable experiences that can help them succeed in graduate school. However, success in graduate school is also dependent on individual effort and dedication. Students from Normal Universities can also excel in graduate school with hard work and determination.