Is thermal conductivity additive for multiple layers of different materials?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether the total thermal conductivity of several sheets of different materials is the sum of the individual thermal conductivities. One person believes it is similar to the capacitance of capacitors in series, while the other argues it should be modeled as resistors. The second person also mentions the inverse relationship between conductivity and resistance.
Xeract
I think the answer is yes, but I just wanted to check.

If you have several sheets of different material, is the total thermal conductivity the sum of the individual thermal conductivities?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're wrong. The conductivity of the laminate is more like the capacitance of capacitors in series. The total conductivity can't be more than the lowest value in the laminate.

I was modelling the conductivity on resistors instead of capacitors. Surely the higher the thermal conductivity the higher the "resistance" to heat flow so they should be modeled as resistors?

(I could be completely wrong on this)

You're right about the resistors. But conductivity is the inverse of resistance,
so the addition ( for equal thickness layers) looks like,

[tex] \frac{1}{C_{tot}} = \sum \frac{1}{C_i} [/tex]

which reminds me of capacitors. I could also be wrong.

What is thermal conductivity sum?

Thermal conductivity sum refers to the total thermal conductivity of a material, which is the measure of its ability to conduct heat.

How is thermal conductivity sum calculated?

Thermal conductivity sum is calculated by adding the thermal conductivities of all the layers or components of a material.

What is the unit of measurement for thermal conductivity sum?

The unit of measurement for thermal conductivity sum is watts per meter-kelvin (W/mK).

Why is thermal conductivity sum important?

Thermal conductivity sum is important because it affects the rate of heat transfer in a material. Materials with high thermal conductivity sum can transfer heat more efficiently than those with low thermal conductivity sum.

What factors can affect thermal conductivity sum?

Factors that can affect thermal conductivity sum include the type and composition of the material, temperature, and the presence of any insulating layers or barriers.