Peltier Cell Help: Exploring 92W vs. 38W Efficiency

In summary, the speaker purchased a 38W peltier cell on ebay but found it to be insufficient and is now looking for a more powerful 92W cell. However, they noticed that both cells have the same dimensions and number of junctions. They question how this is possible and if the sellers are providing false information or if one cell is made of a material with a higher Seebeck coefficient. They also wonder if one cell will be more efficient than the other. The speaker requests a general explanation of how different factors can affect the efficiency of a cell, including the use of multiple cells. They mention their experience with peltier cells and note that they have heard about the possibility of using them in heated and cooled cup holders in
junkfunkydude
A while back, I purchased a 38W peltier cell on ebay. It wasn't powerful enough, so I'm looking at something along the lines of a 92W. I noticed, however that my 38W and the 92W have the same dimensions and the same number of junctions. Also, dT of the 92W is only 1 degree C above the 38W.

How is this possible?
Are the sellers providing false information?
Is one made out of a material with a higher Seebeck coefficient?
If so, will one be more efficient than the other?

Also, a general explanation as to how the different factors effect a cell would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I remember reading that there is some falloff of efficiency with size and that using multiple cells is a better way to go.
I got my first chip on a 80286 processor cooler (6 mhz:bugeye: ) and been playing with them ever since. I heard that the 08 Chrysler Sebring is coming out with heated and cooled cup holders...I can bet how they're going to do that.

It is not uncommon for sellers to provide false or misleading information when it comes to technical specifications of products. It is important to do thorough research and read reviews before making a purchase to ensure you are getting a reliable and accurate product.

One possible explanation for the similar dimensions and number of junctions between the 38W and 92W peltier cells is that they may be using different materials or manufacturing processes. The Seebeck coefficient, which measures the amount of voltage produced per unit temperature difference, can vary depending on the materials used. So it is possible that the 92W cell is made with a material that has a higher Seebeck coefficient, resulting in a higher power output.

However, it is not always a direct correlation between Seebeck coefficient and efficiency. Other factors such as thermal conductivity, temperature difference, and heat dissipation can also play a role in the overall efficiency of a peltier cell. Generally, a higher temperature difference and better heat dissipation can result in a more efficient cell.

In terms of how these different factors affect a peltier cell, the Seebeck effect is the principle that allows peltier cells to convert heat energy into electrical energy. When a temperature difference is applied across the junctions of the cell, it creates a voltage difference and generates an electric current. The thermal conductivity of the materials used in the cell determines how well heat can be transferred across the junctions, which affects the temperature difference and ultimately the power output. Heat dissipation is also important as excessive heat can damage the cell and reduce its efficiency.

Overall, it is important to carefully consider all the factors and specifications when purchasing a peltier cell to ensure you are getting the most efficient and reliable product for your needs.

What is a Peltier cell?

A Peltier cell is a type of thermoelectric device that can generate electricity by utilizing the difference in temperature between its two sides.

How does a Peltier cell work?

A Peltier cell works by utilizing the Peltier effect, which is the phenomenon where a temperature difference between two dissimilar materials can create an electric current. The cell consists of two different types of semiconductor materials, with a voltage applied across them. When one side is heated and the other is cooled, the temperature difference creates an electric current.

What is the purpose of exploring the efficiency of a Peltier cell?

The efficiency of a Peltier cell is important to understand in order to determine its practical applications and limitations. By exploring the efficiency, we can better understand how to optimize the performance and potential uses of Peltier cells.

What is the difference between 92W and 38W Peltier cells?

The numbers 92W and 38W refer to the maximum power that a Peltier cell can generate. A 92W Peltier cell can generate a higher amount of power than a 38W Peltier cell, making it more suitable for certain applications that require higher energy output.

How can I improve the efficiency of a Peltier cell?

There are several ways to improve the efficiency of a Peltier cell, including using higher quality materials, optimizing the temperature difference, and reducing heat loss. It is also important to properly size and design the Peltier cell for its intended use.