Helmholtz coil with a ferrous core

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a Helmholtz coil with an air-core to create a uniform magnetic field, and whether using a ferrous core like iron would still allow for a uniform field. The equation for the magnetic field would also be affected by the addition of a ferrous core. The conversation also mentions the use of this type of magnet for NMR and provides resources for further study. The importance of design and materials in creating a high-quality magnet is emphasized.
miloko
Dear all,
I know that I can create a uniform field using the design of a Helmholtz coil with an air-core. However, if I use a ferrous core like iron, will I still be able to create a uniform field under the same conditions? Also, how is the equation for the magnetic field, B, changed when I add a ferrous core to the center of a Helmholtz coil?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you trying to generate a uniform field inside the object?

No. I am trying to create a uniform field between a pair of electromagnets just like the field inbetween any pair of helmholtz coils. Thanks.

This type of magnet used to be universally used for NMR, and can still be purchased, e.g.
http://www.walkerldjscientific.com/Products/Product_Lines/Electromagnetics/electromagnetics.html"

The iron yoke concentrates all of the return flux lines, dramatically increasing the field strength in the useful region, and the two poles concentrate the flux even further. To design a high quality magnet takes more knowledge of electromagnetism and materials than can be provided in a post. Homogeneity depends critically on the size and shape of the pole pieces, and how close to saturation magnetization the iron is, for instance. Suggest you get a copy of a text like Reitz and Milford, Foundations of Electromagnetism, and do some background study. Then take a look online at sites like
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/2404/Elect67.htm"

Of course if you aren't too concerned about homogeneity, field strength, electrical efficiency, etc., you can just fool around and see what results.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a Helmholtz coil with a ferrous core?

A Helmholtz coil with a ferrous core is a type of electromagnetic coil that is used to produce a uniform magnetic field. It consists of two identical circular coils placed parallel to each other with a ferromagnetic core in between.

2. How does a Helmholtz coil with a ferrous core work?

A Helmholtz coil with a ferrous core works by passing an electric current through the coils, which creates a magnetic field. The ferromagnetic core helps to concentrate and strengthen the magnetic field, making it more uniform.

3. What are the applications of a Helmholtz coil with a ferrous core?

A Helmholtz coil with a ferrous core has many applications in scientific research, such as in experiments involving magnetic fields, particle accelerators, and spectroscopy. It is also used in medical imaging and in the calibration of magnetic field sensors.

4. How is a Helmholtz coil with a ferrous core different from a regular Helmholtz coil?

A regular Helmholtz coil does not have a ferromagnetic core, which means that its magnetic field is not as concentrated or uniform as a Helmholtz coil with a ferrous core. The addition of the ferromagnetic core allows for a stronger and more controlled magnetic field.

5. Can a Helmholtz coil with a ferrous core be used to create a magnetic field in any direction?

Yes, a Helmholtz coil with a ferrous core can produce a magnetic field in any direction. By adjusting the current and the positioning of the coils, the direction and strength of the magnetic field can be controlled.