GRE Math subject exam Prep- Pre-calc

In summary, the GRE Math subject exam for Pre-calc covers functions, graphs, polynomials, exponential and logarithmic functions, trigonometric functions, and basic geometry. To prepare for the exam, it is recommended to review and practice problems in each of these topics and to use study guides and practice exams. There are specific formulas that should be memorized, such as the quadratic formula, distance formula, and Pythagorean theorem. The exam format is multiple-choice with 50 questions and a 2 hour and 50 minute time limit. The passing score is 550 on a scale of 200-990, but this may vary depending on the institution or program. It is important to check with your desired institution for their specific score
NeoInTheMatrix
GRE Math subject exam Prep-- Pre-calc

For those of you who are preping, or have taken it already, what did you use to prep for the pre-calc section of the GRE subject exam in math?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't remember there being much if any Pre-Calculus math on the GRE Subject. I remember there being a ton of Calculus.

While I was prepping for the test I only focused on Calculus and beyond. If you know your calculus then the pre-calc stuff (what little there is) is no problem.

And, yes, I was very pleased with my results.

There are several resources available for prepping for the pre-calc section of the GRE Math subject exam. Some popular options include review books such as "Cracking the GRE Math Subject Test" by Princeton Review or "Kaplan GRE Subject Test: Mathematics" by Kaplan Test Prep. These books typically cover all the topics tested on the exam and include practice questions and full-length practice tests.

Additionally, online resources such as Khan Academy and MathHelp.com offer free and comprehensive lessons and practice problems for pre-calc topics. It can also be helpful to review your old pre-calc notes and textbooks to refresh your memory on key concepts.

In terms of studying strategies, it's important to focus on understanding the underlying concepts rather than just memorizing formulas. Practice solving problems without a calculator as the GRE Math subject exam does not allow the use of calculators.

Finally, make sure to time yourself when practicing to get a feel for the pace of the exam and to identify any areas where you may need to improve your speed. Good luck on your prep and on the exam!

What topics are covered on the GRE Math subject exam for Pre-calc?

The GRE Math subject exam for Pre-calc covers topics such as functions, graphs, polynomials, exponential and logarithmic functions, trigonometric functions, and basic geometry.

How can I prepare for the GRE Math subject exam for Pre-calc?

To prepare for the GRE Math subject exam for Pre-calc, it is important to review and practice problems in each of the covered topics. You can also find study guides and practice exams online to help you prepare.

Are there any specific formulas I should know for the GRE Math subject exam for Pre-calc?

Yes, there are several formulas that are commonly used on the GRE Math subject exam for Pre-calc. These include the quadratic formula, the distance formula, and the Pythagorean theorem. It is important to review and memorize these formulas before taking the exam.

What is the format of the GRE Math subject exam for Pre-calc?

The GRE Math subject exam for Pre-calc is a multiple-choice exam with 50 questions. You will have 2 hours and 50 minutes to complete the exam. There are no breaks during the exam, so it is important to manage your time effectively.

What score do I need to pass the GRE Math subject exam for Pre-calc?

The GRE Math subject exam for Pre-calc is scored on a scale of 200-990. A score of 550 is considered to be a passing score, but the required score may vary depending on the institution or program you are applying to. It is important to check with your desired institution for their specific score requirements.