Does reality change from person to person

In summary: This concept of differing realities based on individual perception is known as subjective reality. It suggests that our perception of the world is shaped by our experiences and can vary greatly among individuals.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of subjective reality and how individuals may perceive and interpret the same object or situation differently based on their own experiences. It also mentions the example of color blindness and how it can affect one's perception of color. This highlights the idea that reality is not absolute, but rather shaped by our own unique perspectives.
Nate3535
is it possible that in one persons eyes red would be my yellow and their yellow would be my red and their sphere could be my cube and so on and so forth so that we would be describing an object with a matching description but at the same time be talking about something completely diferent

Physics news on Phys.org
Nate3535 said:
is it possible that in one persons eyes red would be my yellow and their yellow would be my red and their sphere could be my cube and so on and so forth so that we would be describing an object with a matching description but at the same time be talking about something completely diferent

Sure. Consider people that have red-green color blindness. They have a different experience of color than people with normal three-cone color vision. The cube versus sphere example is a little harder to make a case for - though not completely impossible. Cubes and spheres have properties that cause them to act on things in the world in specific ways, and we learn to work with them and label them from the time we are very small (e.g., we learn to roll the ball and stack the blocks).

Last edited:
Reality is perception and we each perceive differently so each ones reality is different.

uh well i'd disagree i think that yes reality is known through experience/perception but our interpretation/reasoning about it is different.

Say for instance i go to some river to fish... but this river ALSO serves as a boundry between to territories.

The locals and i would BOTH perceive it as a long fast moving area of water but they interpret it as a boundry and i perceive it as a fishing area.

You would then both be holding two different realities

1. How can reality change from person to person?

The concept of reality is subjective and is shaped by each individual's experiences, beliefs, and perceptions. Our brains interpret and process information differently, which can lead to different interpretations of reality.

2. Is there any scientific evidence to support the idea of subjective reality?

While there is no definitive answer, some studies have shown that our brains can create false memories and perceptions based on our biases and beliefs. Additionally, research in quantum physics suggests that reality may be influenced by the observer, further supporting the idea of subjective reality.

3. Can reality change within an individual over time?

Yes, as we grow and experience new things, our perspectives and beliefs can change, leading to a shift in our perception of reality. This can also be influenced by external factors such as new information or traumatic events.

4. How does culture and societal norms play a role in shaping individual realities?

Culture and societal norms can heavily influence our beliefs and perceptions of reality. Our upbringing and surroundings can shape our understanding of what is considered real and acceptable, leading to a unique interpretation of reality for each person.

5. Can individuals with different realities coexist peacefully?

While individuals may have different perceptions of reality, it is important to respect and understand each other's perspectives. With open-mindedness and empathy, it is possible for individuals with different realities to coexist peacefully.