Discriminant Related Question [SOLVED] Discriminant Related Question

• Thread starter _Mayday_
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a solved question involving discriminants and finding the values of a and b in a given equation. The conversation also addresses finding the roots of the equation x^2 - 8x - 29 = 0 and clarifies that completing the square makes it easier. The solution to finding the roots is x = 4 +/- 3√5.
_Mayday_
[SOLVED] Discriminant Related Question

Question

[tex]x^2 - 8x - 29 = (x+a)^2 +b[/tex], where a and b are constant.

NOTE: The equals sign should be an always equals sign, so like three lines under each other :bugeye:

(a) Find the value of a and b

(b)Hence, or otherwise show the roots of [tex]x^2 - 8x - 29 = 0[/tex] are [tex]c =+/- d\sqrt5[/tex] where c and d are integers.

Attempt

(a)[tex]x^2 - 8x - 29 = (x+a)^2 +b[/tex]

[tex](x-4)^2 - 16 - 29 = (x+a)^2 +b[/tex]

a = -4
b = -45

(b) Erm...not sure, as it says roots I will assume it means two roots so [tex]b^2 - 4ac > 0[/tex]

64 + 116 > 0, yes this is all alright but I am not sure how to get it in the form [tex]c =+/- d\sqrt5[/tex]

_Mayday_

Physics news on Phys.org
_Mayday_ said:
NOTE: The equals sign should be an always equals sign, so like three lines under each other :bugeye:

Oh that's done with \equiv

[tex]\equiv[/tex]

DavidWhitbeck said:
Oh that's done with \equiv

[tex]\equiv[/tex]

Cheers!

Anyone got any ideas on how to solve the other question? :rofl:

What are the roots of the equation x2- 8x- 29= 0? Since you have already "completed the square" that should be easy!

By find the roots do they just mean find the possible values for x? The question is what has got me, what do they mean by find the roots? I know I should know this but, I think I have already done the 'hard' bit.

[tex](x-4)^2 = 45[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{45} = +/- 3\sqrt5[/tex]

[tex]x - 4 = +\- 3\sqrt5[/tex]

[tex]x = 4 +/- 3\sqrt5[/tex]

I think that is correct, thank you!

What is a discriminant?

A discriminant is a mathematical term that is used to determine the nature of the roots of a quadratic equation. It is calculated using the coefficients of the equation and can tell us whether the equation has two real solutions, one real solution, or no real solutions.

What is the formula for the discriminant?

The formula for the discriminant is b²-4ac, where a, b, and c are the coefficients of the quadratic equation in the form ax²+bx+c.

How do you use the discriminant to find the nature of the roots?

If the discriminant is positive, then the equation has two real solutions. If it is zero, then the equation has one real solution. And if it is negative, then the equation has no real solutions.

Are there any other applications of the discriminant?

Yes, the discriminant is also used in other areas of mathematics such as in geometry to determine the number of tangents that can be drawn to a circle from a given point outside the circle.

What happens if the discriminant is a perfect square?

If the discriminant is a perfect square, then the quadratic equation will have rational roots, which means the solutions can be expressed as fractions. This is because when the discriminant is a perfect square, it can be factored into two equal factors, making it easier to find the roots of the equation.