Technical drawing and sketches for physics and engineering?

In summary, the conversation is about searching for a free program for technical drawing and sketches in physics and engineering. The person prefers it to be able to draw in 2-d and 3-d, have more than a few functions, and be freeware. They mention that they learned Auto-cad in university but cannot afford the home edition. They ask for recommendations for programs on Linux and Mac OSX. The other person suggests searching for CAD programs on Linux using KDE as a front-end.
Theoretiker
Hello,

I am searching a programm for technical drawing and skteches in physics and engineering. It should be able to draw in 2-d and 3-d, should have more than only a few funtions and freeware, best if it works with the GPL.

Does such a programm exists for free? The Operating System isn't very important. My favor would be for Leopard mac osx but Linux or even Windows would be well also.

I learned Auto-cad in the University but this program is only avaible in the faculty for using and a home edition of auto cad would cost more than I have... :uhh:

greetings

Physics news on Phys.org
Linux has a couple of CAD type programs out there, as for Mac OSX, not a clue.

Dr Transport said:
Linux has a couple of CAD type programs out there, as for Mac OSX, not a clue.

Oh, okay. I am working with Linux but I have a small distribution. Could you give me a few names?

greetings

google linux, cad and kde (one of the front-ends), you'll find a mitt full.

1. What is the purpose of technical drawing and sketches in physics and engineering?

Technical drawing and sketches are used to visually communicate complex ideas, designs, and concepts in a precise and standardized manner. They are essential in the fields of physics and engineering as they allow for better understanding, documentation, and replication of technical information.

2. What are the different types of technical drawings and sketches used in physics and engineering?

There are several types of technical drawings and sketches used in physics and engineering, including orthographic projections, isometric drawings, perspective drawings, and schematics. Each type serves a specific purpose and is used in different stages of the design and production process.

3. How do technical drawings and sketches help with problem-solving in physics and engineering?

Technical drawings and sketches are crucial for problem-solving in physics and engineering as they provide a visual representation of a problem, allowing for a better understanding of its components and potential solutions. They also serve as a reference for measurements, calculations, and modifications during the problem-solving process.

4. What are the key elements that should be included in a technical drawing or sketch for physics and engineering?

The key elements of a technical drawing or sketch for physics and engineering include accurate proportions, clear and concise labeling, appropriate scales, dimensioning, and detailed views of different sections or components. It is also essential to include a title, date, and any necessary notes or specifications.

5. What are some common software programs used for creating technical drawings and sketches in physics and engineering?

Some commonly used software programs for creating technical drawings and sketches in physics and engineering include AutoCAD, SolidWorks, SketchUp, and Adobe Illustrator. These programs offer a variety of tools and features that allow for precise and professional-looking technical drawings and sketches.