COMSOL - parameter dependent eigenvalue calculations

In summary: I'm not 100% sure but it may be one of the new features of release 3.5. Or at least don't remember seeing it earlier.
DJ_GoodNews
Hello,

I am using COMSOL (RF modul) for some time now to calculate the eigenvalues (modes) of optical fibers. So far I changed all the params from hand in the software.

But it is getting anoying to change a parameter (the wavelength) and to recalculate if one wants to calculate for many parameters. Later one I want also to chage structural parameters of the microstructured fibers.

This means I have to use the skript or MATLAB to impelment loops and so, rigth?
But I have problems getting started. I get always errors and I do not know how to change the postprocessing correspondingly (so that I get all the wavelegth dependent calculated modes).

Does anyone have a hit? Are there good tutorials? Has anyone a example m-file for s.th. like this?

Thanks!

DJ_GoodNews.

Physics news on Phys.org
An m-file (or a comsol script model) would be the most general approach, but thinking about the easiest way have you thought whether the parametric solver would work for your problem?

Hello,

PerennialII said:
An m-file (or a comsol script model) would be the most general approach, but thinking about the easiest way have you thought whether the parametric solver would work for your problem?

I was thinking about that, but the problem is that I have to calculate the Eigenvalues all the time. Is it possible that the parametric solver and the eigenvalue solver work together? How do I manage that (without a skript)?

Cheers!
DJ_GoodNews.

...I think it might work straight up if you use the "parametric sweep" option for eigenvalue solver (under solve menu). Haven't used it for eigenvalue problems, but at least it's general enough to work for transient problems with the time dependent solver (so at least it's not solely for stationary problems).

PerennialII said:
...I think it might work straight up if you use the "parametric sweep" option for eigenvalue solver (under solve menu). Haven't used it for eigenvalue problems, but at least it's general enough to work for transient problems with the time dependent solver (so at least it's not solely for stationary problems).

Hi,

thanks for answering. But I do not find this "parametric sweep" option in the solve menu...
I use the Version COMSOL 3.4.0.250 is this a problem?

Cheers,
DJ-GoodNews

Yeah, could be. I'm not 100% sure but it may be one of the new features of release 3.5. Or at least don't remember seeing it earlier.

What is COMSOL and how is it used for parameter dependent eigenvalue calculations?

COMSOL is a software program used for modeling and simulation in various scientific and engineering fields. It allows for the creation of complex models that can be solved using different numerical methods, including parameter dependent eigenvalue calculations. This feature allows for the study of how eigenvalues change with varying parameters in a system.

What types of systems can be analyzed using parameter dependent eigenvalue calculations in COMSOL?

COMSOL can be used to analyze a wide range of systems, including mechanical, electrical, chemical, and biological systems. As long as the system can be described using mathematical equations and has eigenvalues, it can be studied using parameter dependent eigenvalue calculations in COMSOL.

What are the benefits of using parameter dependent eigenvalue calculations in COMSOL?

Parameter dependent eigenvalue calculations in COMSOL allow for a more thorough understanding of a system by considering how changing parameters affect the eigenvalues. This can provide insights into the behavior and stability of the system, as well as aid in the optimization of designs and processes.

How does COMSOL handle the computation of parameter dependent eigenvalues?

COMSOL uses a variety of numerical methods, including the finite element method and the boundary element method, to compute parameter dependent eigenvalues. These methods involve discretizing the system into smaller elements and solving the resulting equations using iterative algorithms.

Is it possible to visualize and analyze the results of parameter dependent eigenvalue calculations in COMSOL?

Yes, COMSOL provides various tools for visualizing and analyzing the results of parameter dependent eigenvalue calculations. This includes graphs, animations, and post-processing features that allow for a deeper understanding of the system's behavior and the effects of changing parameters.