Find a diagonal matrix D such that the tridiagonal matrix T

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for a symmetric matrix where B=B' and finding the diagonal entries of D. The solution involves substituting for D and manipulating the equation. The final result is that the diagonal entries of D are equal to the square root of bi/ci+1. The conversation also touches on the concept of sign and how it affects the solution.
crocomut

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=16789&stc=1&d=1228876123.jpg

Homework Equations

For a symmetric matrix B=B' where ' is the transpose.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since we know that for a symmetric matrix,
B = B'

I attempted to substitude that in and tried to solve for D.

DTD-1 = (D-1)'T'D
DT = D-1T'DD
D = D-1T'DDT-1

At this point I am stumped since there are D's on both sides, what am I suppose to do?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Croco.
Code:
q1.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems to me you could just "write it out". Let x[subn[/sub] be the nth diagonal entry in D. Then 1/xn is the corresponding entry in D-1. Now, actually write out the entries for the product DTD-1. What must be true in order for that to be symmetric? If you are not sure how to do that, try it with 2 by 2 and 3 by 3 matrices first.

Notice, by the way, that saying "bici+1> 0" is exactly the same as saying "bi/ci+1> 0" or even "ci+1/bi> 0" because the only thing that is relevant is the sign: all three just say that neither of bi nor ci+1 is 0 and they have the same sign.

Hi HallsofIvy,

Thanks so much for your answer, I actually did it last night. Maybe you can have a look at my result and confirm:

In the end I got that the diagonal entries of D are:

di+1 = di[tex]\sqrt{b_i/c_{i+1}}[/tex]

The square root is why bici+1 > 0

Croco

1. What is a diagonal matrix?

A diagonal matrix is a square matrix in which all of the entries outside of the main diagonal (the diagonal from the top left to the bottom right) are zero. The entries on the main diagonal can be any real or complex numbers.

2. What is a tridiagonal matrix?

A tridiagonal matrix is a square matrix in which the only nonzero entries are on the main diagonal, the diagonal above the main diagonal, and the diagonal below the main diagonal. All other entries are zero.

3. How do I find a diagonal matrix D such that the tridiagonal matrix T?

In order to find a diagonal matrix D that satisfies the given tridiagonal matrix T, you can use the diagonal entries of T to construct a new diagonal matrix. The diagonal entries of D will be the same as the diagonal entries of T, and all other entries will be zero.

4. What is the purpose of finding a diagonal matrix D such that the tridiagonal matrix T?

The purpose of finding a diagonal matrix D such that the tridiagonal matrix T is to simplify calculations involving T. Diagonal matrices have many properties that make them easier to work with, such as being easy to invert and commute with other matrices.

5. Are there any other types of matrices that are commonly used in mathematics and science?

Yes, there are many other types of matrices that are commonly used in mathematics and science. Some examples include symmetric matrices, skew-symmetric matrices, upper triangular matrices, and lower triangular matrices. These matrices have specific patterns of nonzero entries that make them useful for different types of calculations and applications.