Maximum speed of a spring mass is given by 2(pi)(frequency)(amptitude)?

In summary, to prove the maximum speed (Vmax) of a mass on a spring is given by 2(pi)(f)(A), we use the equation E(total) = kA^2 and the relationship between frequency (f), spring constant (k), and mass (m) to arrive at the formula Vmax = 2Af(pi). There was an error in the equation provided, but after correcting it, the solution is correct.
zeion

Homework Statement

Prove that the maximum speed (Vmax) of a mass on a spring is given by 2(pi)(f)(A)

Homework Equations

E(total) = kA^2

Vmax = sqrt[2E(total) / m]
(Because E(potential) = 0 when V is at max, so E(total) = mv^2 / 2 + 0)

f = sqrt(k/m) / 2(pi)
k = [(f)(2pi)]^2(m)

The Attempt at a Solution

Vmax = sqrt[2(kA^2) / m]
Vmax = sqrt [2[(f)(2pi)]^2 (m) A^2)] / m]
Square the [(f)(2pi)]^2, factor in m, factor in 2A^2 and cancel out all m's then sqrt I get:

2Af2(pi)

Did I make a mistake somewhere? Or did I go about this all wrong? :/

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi zeion,

zeion said:

Homework Statement

Prove that the maximum speed (Vmax) of a mass on a spring is given by 2(pi)(f)(A)

Homework Equations

E(total) = kA^2

I don't think this line is right; you appear to be missing something in this equation. Once you correct that I think you'll get the right answer.

Oh is it kA^2 / 2?
Oh if it is then it all makes sense.

1. What is the equation for determining the maximum speed of a spring mass?

The maximum speed of a spring mass is given by the formula 2(pi)(frequency)(amplitude), where frequency is the number of oscillations per second and amplitude is the maximum displacement from equilibrium.

2. How is frequency related to the maximum speed of a spring mass?

The frequency of oscillation directly affects the maximum speed of a spring mass. As the frequency increases, the maximum speed also increases.

3. What is the significance of 2(pi) in the equation for maximum speed?

2(pi) is a constant value that is used to convert from radians to cycles. It is necessary for accurately calculating the maximum speed of a spring mass.

4. Can the maximum speed of a spring mass be greater than the frequency?

Yes, the maximum speed can be greater than the frequency. This occurs when the amplitude of the oscillation is large, resulting in a greater maximum speed.

5. How does the amplitude affect the maximum speed of a spring mass?

The amplitude directly affects the maximum speed of a spring mass. The larger the amplitude, the greater the maximum speed. This is because a larger amplitude results in a greater displacement from equilibrium, causing the spring mass to move faster.