Finding averages of observables of Bell states

In summary, when studying the CHSH inequality in Quantum Computation by Neilsen and Chuang, the authors use measurements of the spin singlet state and observable Z1 and Z2-X1 to find the expectation value of the product. To do this, they use gates Z and X, which act on the system, and the density operator, which encodes the state of the system, to calculate the expectation value.
poonintoon
Hi I am looking at Quantum Computation by Neilsen and Chuang at the CHSH inequality.

Looking at the spin singlet state they make measurements of for example the observable Z1
and Z2-X1 and then find the expectation value of the product.

I am slightly confused here because
a) Z and X are gates does it just mean to find the average of the system after these have acted on the system?
b)Secondly can I find the average of a two qubit system without using the density operator. If I need to use the density operator is there a simple way?

Thanks

(Sorry its hard to make it clear without waffling on for ages but since its a popular book hopefully someone will understand me).

Physics news on Phys.org
a) Yes, finding the expectation value of the product is equivalent to measuring the average of the system after the gates have been applied. b) To calculate the expectation value of a two qubit system, you need to use the density operator. The density operator encodes the state of the system, so it can be used to calculate the expectation value of any observable. To calculate the expectation value, you need to take the trace of the product of the density operator and the observable.

Hi there,

I am happy to provide a response to your question. First, let me clarify that the observable Z1 and Z2-X1 refer to the Pauli Z and X operators acting on the first and second qubit respectively. These operators are used to measure the spin states of the qubits along the z and x axes. So, when you are finding the expectation value of the product, you are essentially measuring the correlation between the two qubits.

To answer your first question, yes, finding the average of the system after these gates have acted on the system is the correct interpretation. The gates are used to manipulate the state of the qubits and then the expectation value is calculated to measure the outcome of the experiment.

As for your second question, it is possible to find the average of a two qubit system without using the density operator. This can be done by directly calculating the expectation value of the product of the two qubits. However, using the density operator can simplify the calculations and make it easier to analyze the system. There are various methods to calculate the average using the density operator, such as the trace rule or the inner product rule.

I hope this helps clarify your confusion. As a final point, I would like to mention that it is always important to fully understand the concepts and equations before moving on to applications. I recommend going back to the basics if you are still unsure about any aspect of the CHSH inequality or finding averages of observables. Best of luck with your studies!

1. How do you define "observables" in the context of Bell states?

Observables refer to physical properties or quantities that can be measured or observed in a Bell state. These can include spin, polarization, or other quantum mechanical properties.

2. What is the significance of finding the average of observables in Bell states?

The average of observables in Bell states helps to characterize and understand the behavior of entangled quantum systems. It also allows for predictions to be made about the outcomes of measurements on the state.

3. How is the average of observables calculated in Bell states?

The average of an observable in a Bell state is calculated by taking the inner product of the state with the observable operator. This gives a complex number, which represents the expected value of the observable in the state.

4. Can the average of observables be used to determine the state of a Bell state?

No, the average of observables alone cannot determine the state of a Bell state. It only provides information about the expected values of observables in the state, but not the full quantum state vector.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating the average of observables in Bell states?

Yes, the calculation of the average of observables in Bell states is limited by the uncertainty principle. The more accurately one observable is measured, the less accurately another observable can be measured in the same state.