(gamma)ma=F-[F.(beta)]beta How derive this?

• Thread starter vin300
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derive
In summary: When you are solving for "a" you are solving for the acceleration due to the force.The answer is that "a" is always positive, and the magnitude of the acceleration is proportional to the amount of force applied.
vin300
(gamma)ma=F-[F.(beta)]beta
How derive this?

Physics news on Phys.org

Would you mind explaining what it is? Until you explain what "gamma", "m", "a", "F", and "beta" mean, it's just a string of symbols.

gamma is the lorentz factor, m is mass, a acceleration, F force; beta is v/c
Lev Okun, in his "concepts of mass" has derived it as follows:
E=ymc^2
p=ymv
dp/dt=F
and next he writes
a=[F-(F.beta)beta]/ym

Last edited:

HallsofIvy said:
Would you mind explaining what it is? Until you explain what "gamma", "m", "a", "F", and "beta" mean, it's just a string of symbols.

This is how I feel every time I try to read anything written by a physicist :rolleyes:

But Halls is right. What is the context of the problem you're working on?

The left hand side, F-[F.(beta)]beta, looks a lot like you're trying to remove a component from the force vector (it's very close to the force perpendicular to the direction of motion... is this what you're going for?)

I think the equation you are looking for is
{\bf F}=\frac{d{\bf p}}{dt}
\frac{d}{dt}\frac{m{\bf v}}{\sqrt{1-v^2}}
=m{\bf a}\gamma+m{\bf v}({\bf v}\cdot{\bf a})\gamma^3.
This is the usual form.
To get your form, use the above equation to show
{\bf v}\cdot{\bf F}=m\gamma^3{\bf v}\cdot{\bf a}
in a few steps.
I use units with c=1.
I couldn't find my latex errors. I hope you can read it as is.

Last edited by a moderator:

clem said:
I couldn't find my latex errors. I hope you can read it as is.
Just add tex tags.

clem said:
I think the equation you are looking for is
[tex]{\bf F}=\frac{d{\bf p}}{dt}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\frac{m{\bf v}}{\sqrt{1-v^2}}
=m{\bf a}\gamma+m{\bf v}({\bf v}\cdot{\bf a})\gamma^3[/tex].
This is the usual form.
To get your form, use the above equation to show
[tex]{\bf v}\cdot{\bf F}=m\gamma^3{\bf v}\cdot{\bf a}[/tex]
in a few steps.
I use units with c=1.

Thank you. I did use [tex]...[/tex], but it kept showing errors.
I guess it can read your handwriting.

I got it thanks but using the equation gives F=y^3ma when parallel and F=yma when transverse why is dt so?

Last edited:

You can't argue with algebra. There is no "why" in algebra.

Usually it is "y" times mass but here it increases to y^3 times as we move from transverse to longitudinal

1. What is the equation (gamma)ma=F-[F.(beta)]beta and how is it derived?

The equation (gamma)ma=F-[F.(beta)]beta is the relativistic equation of motion, also known as the Lorentz force law. It describes the relationship between the mass of an object (m), its acceleration (a), and the applied force (F). It is derived by applying the principles of special relativity to the classical Newton's second law of motion.

2. What does (gamma) represent in the equation (gamma)ma=F-[F.(beta)]beta?

(gamma) represents the Lorentz factor, which takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction due to an object's velocity. It is defined as (1 - (v^2/c^2))^(-1/2), where v is the velocity of the object and c is the speed of light.

3. How is the Lorentz force law different from the classical form of Newton's second law?

The Lorentz force law takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, which do not exist in classical mechanics. It also introduces the concept of a relativistic mass, which is dependent on an object's velocity and increases as the object approaches the speed of light.

4. Can this equation be applied to all objects, regardless of their speed?

Yes, the Lorentz force law can be applied to all objects, as long as they are not accelerating at a significant fraction of the speed of light. At very high velocities, the effects of special relativity become more pronounced, and a more advanced version of the equation, known as the relativistic Newton's second law, must be used.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Lorentz force law?

The Lorentz force law is used in many fields, including particle physics, astrophysics, and engineering. It is essential for understanding the behavior of charged particles in electric and magnetic fields, which is crucial in particle accelerators and plasma physics. It is also used in the design of particle detectors, such as those used in medical imaging and nuclear physics experiments.