Finding Current in a series circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses an ideal voltmeter connected to a 2.0 Ohm resistor and a battery with an emf of 5.0V and internal resistance of 0.5 Ohms in a series circuit. The homework equations V=IR, V=I(R1+R2), and R(total)=R1+R2 are mentioned. The attempt at a solution involves solving for the current (I) in the circuit, but it is noted that there is something odd about the circuit and the question may need to be checked again. No specific questions are listed in the conversation.
Josh930

Homework Statement

An ideal voltmeter is connected to a 2.0 Omega resistor and a battery with emf 5.0V and internal resistance 0.5 Omega

Series Circuit

YF-25-35.jpg

Homework Equations

V=IR
V=I(R1+R2)
R(total)=R1+R2

The Attempt at a Solution

5.0V=I(.5 Ohms + 2.0 Ohms)

solve for I because current is conserved through a series circuit

I=2amps...this is wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is something very odd about this circuit. A voltmeter is designed to only let a tiny current (ideally just one electron per second) through in order to measure the energy per charge (Voltage). Thus practically no current will flow around the circuit.

It isn't a sensible question with the information given. Better check the question again. Incidentally, you didn't list any actual questions.

Your attempt at a solution is incorrect. To find the current in a series circuit, you need to use Ohm's Law, which states that V=IR. In this case, the voltage (V) is 5.0V and the total resistance (R) is the sum of the resistor and the internal resistance, so R=2.0 Ohms + 0.5 Ohms = 2.5 Ohms. Therefore, the current (I) can be calculated as I=V/R=5.0V/2.5 Ohms= 2 amps. Your answer of 2 amps is correct.

1. What is a series circuit?

A series circuit is a type of electrical circuit in which the components are connected in a single path, with the same current flowing through each component. This means that the components are connected one after the other, forming a loop.

2. How do you find the current in a series circuit?

To find the current in a series circuit, you can use Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). This means that I = V/R. You can also use Kirchhoff's Current Law, which states that the total current entering a junction is equal to the total current leaving the junction.

3. What is the total resistance in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances. This means that if you have three components with resistances of 10 ohms, 20 ohms, and 30 ohms, the total resistance would be 10 + 20 + 30 = 60 ohms.

4. How does the current change in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the current remains the same throughout the circuit. This is because there is only one path for the current to flow, so it cannot split or change direction. This is known as the conservation of charge.

5. What happens to the voltage in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the voltage is divided among the different components. This means that the voltage across each component will be different, but the sum of the voltage drops across all components will equal the total voltage supplied by the power source. This is known as Kirchhoff's Voltage Law.