Rotational kinetics of a rigid body

In summary, the conversation was about a dynamics problem involving the rotation of a rigid body. The problem was to find the magnitude of the reactionary forces at pin A, but the calculated answers were incorrect. After reviewing the calculations, it was discovered that some signs were backwards and there were errors in the calculations. The correct answers for R_{x} and R_{y} are 4.5 Lb. and 6.5 Lb. respectively.
helloworld922
Hi, I had a question about a dynamics problem involving the rotation of a rigid body. Here's what I've worked out so far, but I can't seem to get the correct answer.

I'm suppose to find the magnitude of the reactionary forces at pin A. See the fbd for a drawing of the problem. I'm not sure if [tex]R_{t}[/tex] is pointing in the correct direction, but I think it shouldn't matter because the math should tell me that. Each segment of the beam weighs 10 Lb and has a length of 3.

[tex]L = 3\ ft[/tex]
[tex]w = 10\ Lb.[/tex]
[tex]m = 0.3106\ slugs[/tex]
[tex]\omega_{0} = 0\ rad/sec[/tex]
(distance from A to G)
[tex]r_{G} = \sqrt{\overline{x}^{2}+\overline{y}^{2}}[/tex]
[tex]\theta = tan^{-1}(\frac{\overline{y}}{r_{G}})[/tex]
[tex]\theta = 17.5484^{o}[/tex]
[tex]\overline{x} = 2.25\ ft[/tex]
[tex]\overline{y} = 0.75\ ft[/tex]

[tex]I_{G} = 2(\frac{m*\overline{x}^{3}}{9} + \frac{m*\overline{y}^{3}}{9}+m*\overline{y}^{2})[/tex] (taking advantage of the fact that each bar has the same moment of inertia about the center of gravity)
[tex]I_{G} = 1.1646\ slugs*ft^{2}[/tex]

[tex]\sum m*(a_{G})_{n} = m*\omega^{2}*r_{G}[/tex]
at time t=0 (assuming the direction of [tex]R_{n}[/tex] in the fbd is in the positive direction),
[tex]R_{n} - 2*w*sin(\theta) = m*\omega_{0}^{2}*r_{G}[/tex]
[tex]R_{n} = 6.030227\ N[/tex]

[tex]\sum m*(a_{G})_{t} = m * \alpha * r_{G}[/tex]
(assuming the direction of [tex]R_{t}[/tex] in the fbd is in the negative direction)
[tex]-R_{t} - 2*w*cos(\theta) = m*\alpha * r_{G}[/tex]
[tex]\sum M_{G} = I_{G}*\alpha[/tex]

(assuming that a counter-clockwise rotation is positive)
[tex]R_{t} * r_{G} = I_{G} * \alpha[/tex]
[tex]-R_{t} - 2*w*cos(\theta) = \frac{m* R_{t}*r_{G}*r_{G}}{I_{G}}[/tex]
[tex]R_{t} = -\frac{2*w*cos(\theta)}{\frac{m*r_{G}^{2}}{I_{G}} + 1}[/tex]
[tex]R_{t} = -7.6277\ Lb.[/tex] (so my fbd was backwards, [tex]R_{t}[/tex] really points in the other direction)

Transforming these into [tex]R_{x}[/tex] and [tex]R_{y}[/tex] (that's the way the answer is formatted),

[tex]R_{x} = R_{n}*cos(\theta)+R_{t}*sin(\theta)[/tex]
[tex]R_{x} = 3.45\ Lb.[/tex]

[tex]R_{y} = R_{n} * sin(\theta) - R_{t} * cos(\theta)[/tex]
[tex]R_{y} = 9.0909\ Lb.[/tex]

which are both wrong...

The correct answers are:

[tex]R_{x} = 4.5\ Lb.[/tex]
[tex]R_{y} = 6.5\ Lb.[/tex]

Where did I go wrong?

edit:

hmm.. I seem to have put this in the wrong forum. Grr to having multiple tabs open :( Could someone move this for me?

edit 2:

Ok, i figured out my problem. I had a few signs backwards and somehow managed to mess up some calculations above.

Attachments

• fbd.jpg
    fbd.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 364
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It should have been:R_{x} = R_{n}*cos(\theta)-R_{t}*sin(\theta)R_{x} = 4.5\ Lb.R_{y} = R_{n} * sin(\theta) + R_{t} * cos(\theta)R_{y} = 6.5\ Lb.Thanks for the help!

My final answers are:

R_{x} = 3.45\ Lb.
R_{y} = 6.5\ Lb.

First of all, great job on working through this problem and providing detailed steps and calculations. It's clear that you have a good understanding of rotational kinetics of a rigid body.

Now, to address your question about where you went wrong. It looks like you have made a few sign errors and miscalculations in your calculations for R_{x} and R_{y}. For R_{x}, you have the correct equation but you have mistakenly used the value for R_{t} in the calculation instead of R_{n}. This is why your final answer for R_{x} is incorrect. For R_{y}, you have the correct equation but you have a sign error in the second term. It should be -R_{t}*cos(\theta) instead of R_{t}*cos(\theta). This is why your final answer for R_{y} is incorrect.

In addition, it looks like you have made some errors in your calculation for R_{t}. The correct equation for R_{t} should be:

R_{t} = -\frac{2*w*cos(\theta)}{\frac{m*r_{G}^{2}}{I_{G}} + 1}

instead of:

R_{t} = -\frac{2*w*cos(\theta)}{\frac{m*r_{G}^{2}}{I_{G}} - 1}

These corrections should give you the correct answers for R_{x} and R_{y}.

Overall, it's important to carefully check your calculations and equations to avoid sign errors and miscalculations. Keep up the good work and good luck with your future dynamics problems!

1. What is rotational kinetics of a rigid body?

Rotational kinetics of a rigid body is the study of the motion and forces acting on an object that is rotating around a fixed axis. It involves the application of principles from both mechanics and calculus to analyze the rotational motion of objects.

2. How is rotational motion different from linear motion?

Rotational motion involves an object moving around a fixed axis, while linear motion involves an object moving in a straight line. In rotational motion, the object's position is described by its angular displacement, velocity, and acceleration, whereas in linear motion, the object's position is described by its linear displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

3. What is moment of inertia and how does it affect rotational motion?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is affected by the object's mass and how that mass is distributed around the axis of rotation. A larger moment of inertia means the object is more difficult to rotate, while a smaller moment of inertia means the object is easier to rotate.

4. What is torque and how is it related to rotational motion?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is equal to the product of the force and the distance from the axis of rotation. Torque is related to rotational motion because it causes objects to rotate and is responsible for changes in an object's angular velocity.

5. How do you calculate angular momentum for a rigid body?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. It is equal to the product of the moment of inertia and the angular velocity. The formula for calculating angular momentum is L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity.