Did I Solve This Work with Variable Force Problem Correctly?

In summary, the problem involves finding the work done by a variable force while moving a particle with constant acceleration along the x-axis. The solution provided in the textbook does not take into account the acceleration of the particle, leading to a potentially incorrect result. The correct solution should take into account the force needed to maintain constant acceleration, which is t2 + ma.
suffian
I just did the following textbook problem (from my Calculus book under the chapter review from Applications of Integrals) but came up with an answer that differs from the one at back of the book:

A particle of mass m starts from rest at time t = 0 and is moved along the x-axis with constant acceleration a from x=0 to x=h against a variable force of magnitude F(t)=t2. Find the work done.

Calculus and Analytic Geometry by George. B Thomas

I reasoned as follows:
The force I need to apply at any given time t to maintain constant acceleration would need to be t2 to cancel out the force acting against me plus ma to maintain a constant forward acceleration. In other words F(t) = t2+ma.

If the acceleration is always a and the particle starts from rest at x=0 then
x''(t) = a
x'(t) = at
x(t) = at2/2

This means that once the particle reaches a position x, the following amount of time has elapsed:
t(x) = sqrt(2x/a), t > 0

Which in turn leads to the force that needs to applied at a given position x:
F( sqrt(2x/a) ) = 2x/a + ma

We now use the work formula W= ∫a..b F(x)dx :
W = ∫0..h (2x/a + ma)dx
W = mah + h2/a

On the otherhand, the book gives the following result:
W = 4h/3 sqrt(3mh)

I don't see how they arrived at their results since it doesn't take into account the acceleration of the particle. Surely, the faster the particle is accelerated the work should take toward a limiting value of mah(force * distance) because the particle will reach its destination faster and therefore have less resistance to deal with (remember the resistance was t2). But the book doesn't ever consider the acceleration.

Has the book made an error, or have i misinterpreted the problem?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
man, the units don t even work out right for the answer the book gave. that s a sure fire way to tell a wrong answer.

plus, i didn t see any mistakes in your work.

It is possible that there is an error in the book, or that they used a different approach to solve the problem. However, it is also possible that you may have made a mistake in your reasoning or calculations. It would be best to double check your work and compare it to the book's solution to see where the discrepancy lies. Sometimes, different approaches can lead to different solutions, so it is important to understand the problem and the given information thoroughly before attempting to solve it. It is always a good idea to seek help from a teacher or tutor if you are unsure about your solution or if it differs from the given answer.

1. What is variable force in relation to work?

Variable force refers to a force that changes in magnitude and/or direction as an object moves. In terms of work, this means that the force exerted on an object is not constant and can vary throughout the motion.

2. How is work calculated with variable force?

To calculate work with variable force, you need to integrate the force function with respect to the displacement of the object. This will give you the total work done by the variable force.

3. What are some examples of variable force in everyday life?

Some examples of variable force in everyday life include pushing a shopping cart, riding a bike, and swinging on a swing. In all of these cases, the force exerted on the object (shopping cart, bike, swing) is not constant and changes as the object moves.

4. How does variable force affect the amount of work done?

Variable force affects the amount of work done by changing the amount of force applied at different points during the motion. The more force that is applied, the more work is done, and vice versa.

5. How is the concept of power related to variable force?

Power is the rate at which work is done, and it is directly related to variable force. Since variable force can change the amount of work done, it can also affect the power of a system. The greater the variable force, the more power is required to maintain the motion of an object.