Charging/discharging capacitor circuit

In summary, the problem at hand involves finding the current and voltage on a capacitor using differential equations. The circuit consists of a resistor and capacitor in series, with the capacitor being the only source of voltage for the discharge circuit. To solve this problem, you can use the equations V - R(dQ/dt) = 0 for the charge circuit and R(dQ/dt) + (Q/C) = 0 for the discharge circuit. It is important to keep track of the initial conditions, such as the initial charge and voltage on the capacitor, to solve the differential equations correctly. Ohm's law can be used to find the voltage across the resistor in the discharge circuit, which will be 0 due to the capacitor being the
Juan Pablo

Homework Statement

The circuit http://imgur.com/WSd2L. I'm asked to find the current and voltage on the capacitor using diff. eqns. It says that I can assume that the capacitor doesn't have charge at the beginning for the charging circuit and the capacitor in the only source of voltage for the discharge circuit.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] V - R \frac{dQ}{dt} = 0 [/tex]

For the charge circuit and

[tex] R\frac{dQ}{dt} + \frac{Q}{C} = 0 [/tex]

for the discharge circuit.

I'm not sure If I did this correctly. To get the current I plan to differentiate the charge function I get. For the Voltage maybe Ohm's law? Sorry if this is completely wrong BTW.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. It seems like you have the right idea for solving this problem. To find the current, you can differentiate the charge function as you mentioned. To find the voltage, you can indeed use Ohm's law, as the resistor and capacitor are in series. However, keep in mind that for the discharge circuit, the capacitor is the only source of voltage, so the voltage across the resistor will be 0.

Also, make sure to keep track of the initial conditions for each circuit. For the charge circuit, the initial charge on the capacitor is 0, so Q(0) = 0. For the discharge circuit, the initial voltage on the capacitor is V, so Q(0) = CV. This will help you solve the differential equations correctly.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your work!

1. How does a capacitor store and release charge in a circuit?

A capacitor is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric. When connected to a power source, one plate is positively charged and the other is negatively charged. This creates an electric field between the plates, storing energy in the form of electric potential. When the capacitor is discharged, the stored energy is released as current flows from one plate to the other.

2. What factors affect the charging and discharging time of a capacitor?

The time it takes for a capacitor to charge or discharge depends on its capacitance, the voltage of the power source, and the resistance of the circuit. A higher capacitance or voltage will result in a longer charging time, while a higher resistance will result in a longer discharging time.

3. Can a capacitor be overcharged or overdischarged?

Yes, a capacitor can be overcharged if the voltage applied exceeds its maximum rating. This can cause the dielectric to break down and potentially lead to a short circuit. Similarly, overdischarging a capacitor can cause it to lose its ability to hold a charge. It is important to use capacitors within their specified voltage and current limits.

4. What is the difference between charging and discharging a capacitor?

Charging a capacitor involves connecting it to a power source to store energy, while discharging involves disconnecting the capacitor from the power source and allowing the stored energy to be released. During charging, the voltage across the capacitor increases, while during discharging, it decreases.

5. How does the capacitance of a capacitor affect its behavior in a circuit?

The capacitance of a capacitor determines how much charge it can store at a given voltage. A higher capacitance means the capacitor can store more charge, and therefore, more energy. It also affects the time it takes for the capacitor to charge and discharge in a circuit. Higher capacitance capacitors will take longer to charge and discharge compared to lower capacitance ones.