Correlation coefficient of two-particle half-spin entangled state

In summary, the problem involves finding the correlation coefficient for measuring the spins of two particles, described by the Bell state, in the z and phi directions. The equation for correlation coefficient is given, but the challenge lies in calculating the probabilities of the states being parallel and anti-parallel. One approach is to use the rotational matrices for spin operators and manipulate them to obtain the correlation coefficient. However, the notation used in the posts may cause confusion and clarity is needed to proceed with the solution.
Skiggles
Hi, I can't get my head around this question.

Homework Statement

The Bell state:
[tex]|\psi\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(|\uparrow_1\rangle|\downarrow_2\rangle +|\downarrow_1\rangle |\uparrow_2\rangle \right)[/tex]

Find the correlation coefficient of the measurement of the spins in the directions [tex]z,\phi[/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex] C(\phi) = \langle S_{z1} S_{\phi 2} \rangle [/tex]

S takes the values [tex]\pm 1[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I need to calculate the probability of the states being parallel and subtract the probability that the states are anti-parallel. But how do you calculate those?

[tex]Pr(\uparrow_{z1}\uparrow_{\phi 2}) = \left|\langle\uparrow_{z1}\uparrow_{\phi 2} \left |\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(|\uparrow_1\rangle|\downarrow_2\rangle +|\downarrow_1\rangle |\uparrow_2\rangle \right)\right| \uparrow_{z1}\uparrow_{\phi 2} \rangle \right|^2[/tex]

Where do I go from here?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I might be on to something with this, but am not quite there yet:

[tex] \hat{S}_z =\frac{\hbar}{2} \begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \\ \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Rotate by angles [tex]\theta, \phi[/tex] to get

[tex] \hat{S}_\phi = \frac{\hbar}{2} \begin{pmatrix} \cos \theta & \sin \theta e^{-i\phi} \\
\sin \theta e^{i\phi} & -\cos \theta \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Can I use this somehow to get the correlation coefficient?

Unfortunately the notation is getting a bit mixed up because in this post [tex]\phi = 0[/tex] and in the post above [tex]\phi[/tex] is used in place of [tex]\theta[/tex].

What is the correlation coefficient of a two-particle half-spin entangled state?

The correlation coefficient of a two-particle half-spin entangled state is a measure of the degree of correlation between the spin states of the two particles. It ranges from -1 to 1, with -1 indicating perfect anti-correlation (opposite spin states) and 1 indicating perfect correlation (same spin states).

How is the correlation coefficient of a two-particle half-spin entangled state calculated?

The correlation coefficient is calculated by taking the inner product of the two spin states and dividing it by the product of the individual spin states' magnitudes.

What does it mean if the correlation coefficient of a two-particle half-spin entangled state is 0?

If the correlation coefficient is 0, it means that there is no correlation between the spin states of the two particles. This could be due to the particles being in a superposition of different spin states, or it could indicate that the particles are not truly entangled.

Can the correlation coefficient of a two-particle half-spin entangled state change over time?

The correlation coefficient of an entangled state is an intrinsic property and does not change over time. However, if the particles interact with their environment, their entanglement may degrade over time, leading to a change in the observed correlation coefficient.

How does the correlation coefficient of a two-particle half-spin entangled state relate to quantum entanglement?

The correlation coefficient is a quantitative measure of the entanglement between two particles. A higher correlation coefficient indicates a stronger degree of entanglement, while a correlation coefficient of 0 or close to 0 indicates a lack of entanglement.