What happens when you spin a powerful magnet at high speeds?

In summary, the centrifugal force created by the spinning of the magnet could potentially alter the magnetic field. However, I do not know of any reason this would be implemented in reality.
nution
Lets say we have a spherical shaped and very powerful magnet. Let's say it has a 3" diameter and has some good weight to it.

What would happen if you spun the magnet at great speeds. Let's say for the sake of argument say some 300,000 RPM.

Could the centrifugal for created by the spinning actually alter the magnetic field any? I would assume would stretch it out along its equator? Or would it increase the force of the magnetic field, not actually "stretching it"?

Physics news on Phys.org
If and i mean a big IF u were able to spin a magnet that fast and was really powerfull ( only two i know are neoden. and coblalt/sal. they would cumble under the centrivical force of trying to spin that fast and/separate compisition so i guess the first question would be what kind of magnet would hold up to that ?

Not sure about permanent or electromagnets.

But if you spin an electrically charged metal object, the magnetic field should get stronger the faster you spin it - in this case, the effect is relativistic, meaning the magnetic field will depend on your motion relative to the object.

Lets assume for a moment the spinning problem has been resolved. No issues of the system or the magnet being unstable. Thats more of a mechanical problem, but I am not really interested in that. Anyhow this is more of a theoretical question. I don't know of any reason this would actually be implemented. More or less looking at the physics behind it.

I was also thinking, since we believe that gravity propagates at the speed of light, I would assume a magnetic field does as well? If so, and the magnetic field does change from centrifugal force, what would happen if we spun the magnet as the speed of light, possibly being able to bend light as gravitational fields can but on a smaller scale if there is some change in the field from spinning.

The really interesting theoretical spinning-magnet problem is a strong solenoid magnet spinning about an axis that is perpendicular to the axis of the solenoid at a speed such that the solenoid field at a large radial distance sweeps azimuthally at a relativistic speed. Would this alter the magnetic field?

Bob S

One thing to look at is spinning black holes and spinning neutron stars. They got very strong magnetic field around them and they spin at relativistic speeds tangentially.

Additional topics to look for are Active Galactic Nuclei (AGN) and galactic jets.

crapworks said:
One thing to look at is spinning black holes and spinning neutron stars. They got very strong magnetic field around them and they spin at relativistic speeds tangentially.

Additional topics to look for are Active Galactic Nuclei (AGN) and galactic jets.
Does the sweeping non-axial magnetic field from a rapidly spinning neutron star radiate electromagnetic energy?

Bob S

1. What is the "spinning magnet question"?

The "spinning magnet question" is a thought experiment that involves a magnetic field and a spinning magnet. It asks whether the magnetic field will be affected by the rotation of the magnet.

2. Does the spinning magnet affect the magnetic field?

According to the laws of electromagnetism, the spinning magnet will create a changing magnetic field, which in turn can induce an electric current. This means that the spinning magnet does affect the magnetic field.

3. What is the significance of the "spinning magnet question"?

The "spinning magnet question" highlights the relationship between electricity and magnetism, known as electromagnetism. It also demonstrates the principles of induction and the behavior of magnetic fields.

4. Can the "spinning magnet question" be applied in real-life scenarios?

Yes, the principles behind the "spinning magnet question" are used in many real-life applications, such as generators, motors, and transformers. These devices use electromagnetism to convert energy from one form to another.

5. Are there any limitations to the "spinning magnet question" thought experiment?

The "spinning magnet question" is a simplified thought experiment and does not take into account factors such as resistance and energy losses, which are present in real-life scenarios. It also assumes ideal conditions, which may not always be the case.