Inertia Tensor - Rotating Cone

In summary, the problem involves a uniform right circular cone rolling without slipping on a horizontal plane and returning to its original position in a given time. The goal is to find expressions for the kinetic energy and angular momentum components of the cone. To solve this, the inertia tensor for the cone was found and rotated to align with the cone's surface in contact with the plane. Using this information, the angular velocity vector and kinetic energy can be calculated. However, there is no given answer in the textbook, so it is unclear if the solution is correct.
Saxonphone

Homework Statement

From Goldstein's Classical Mechanics (Chapter 5 - Exercice 17 - Third Edition)
A uniform right circular cone of height h, half angle A, and density B rolls on its side without slipping on a uniform horizontal plane in such a manner that it returns to its original position in a time t. Find expressions for the kinetic energy and the components of the angular momentum of the cone.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, first of all, I found the inertia tensor for a cone with the z axis along the axis of symmetry of the cone and the origin at his apex, then I made it "rotate" (90-A) degrees to put the x-axis in the line of the cone's surface that is always in contact with the plane (a drawing would be good I know, but...)

The tensor is diagonal and what i found was
a.jpg

As the angular velocity w( vector) always lies in that line, so one can say w (vector) = w(cosA k - sinA i) where w is the modulus of the vector and i and k the unit vectors of x and z.
w can be found with the data provided and is given by
b.jpg

Knowing all this, all I have to do is put what I got in L (vector)= I (tensor) w (vector) and T=1/2 I w^2.

The book got no anwers, so, anything wrong with what i did?

Physics news on Phys.org
I realize this is an old thread, but I'm working on this problem and am in a similar place as Saxonphone was. Does this look correct, so far?

1. What is the Inertia Tensor?

The Inertia Tensor is a mathematical representation of an object's mass distribution and its resistance to changes in its rotational motion.

2. How is the Inertia Tensor calculated for a rotating cone?

The Inertia Tensor for a rotating cone is calculated using the cone's mass, height, and base radius. It involves integrating the mass distribution over the entire volume of the cone.

3. What is the significance of the Inertia Tensor for a rotating cone?

The Inertia Tensor for a rotating cone is important in understanding the cone's rotational motion and stability. It can also be used to calculate the cone's angular momentum and angular acceleration.

4. How does the Inertia Tensor of a rotating cone differ from that of a rotating sphere?

The Inertia Tensor for a rotating cone is different from that of a rotating sphere because the mass distribution and shape of the objects are different. A cone has a varying radius and height, while a sphere has a constant radius. This results in different moments of inertia for each object.

5. Can the Inertia Tensor for a rotating cone change?

Yes, the Inertia Tensor for a rotating cone can change if there are changes in its mass distribution or shape. For example, if the cone's height or base radius changes, its Inertia Tensor will also change.