Question about Leibniz's notation for derivatives

In summary, the derivatives in Leibniz notation cannot be naively understood as fractions. This is obvious from identities like: \frac{\partial{x}}{\partial{y}}\frac{\partial{y}}{\partial{z}}\frac{\partial{z}}{\partial{x}}=-1.
paul2211
Hi, I'm a new member to the forum, and I'm currently studying Calculus.

Basically, derivatives can be written as (dy/dx) in Leibniz's notation, but I remember my teacher saying that it's just a symbol and shouldn't be used like two variables (dy and dx)...

However, when there's some integral and inside it, there's a (dy/dx) * (dx), the teacher says we can cancel the two dx, which contradicts what he said earlier.

Also, when we wish to find the integral of (dy/dx) = x, he said we can multiply by dx on both sides, which of course is also confusing me...

So can you guys help me out, and explain these things to me?

Thanks very much :D

Physics news on Phys.org
The Leibniz notation is indeed confusing, makes you think you can fool around with the 'd'-s as if they were numbers. It's false, of course.

What you should remember is that

[tex] y(x)+C=\int \left(\frac{d}{dx}y(x)\right){}dx [/tex]

So no canceling, no nothing, the notation with fractions is just what it is, a notation, not a ratio.

Actually, the original name of calculus was the Infinitesimal Calculus. Calculus was thought to be the study of manipulating infinitely small quantities. So dx is an infinitely small amount of x, and dy is an infinitely small amount of y. These are known as differentials, and the derivative was thought to be a ratio of differentials. The original definition of the derivative was df/dx=(f(x+dx)-f(x))/dx. So for Leibniz the chain rule really was just multiplying fractions, as was the fundamental theorem of calculus.

Then later, people decided they didn't like the infinitesimal methods of Newton and Leibniz, so they invented more rigorous methods like limits (specifically the epsilon-delta definition).

Recently Abraham Robinson found a way to rigorously justify infinitesimal methods, but that's irrelevant. The more important point is that intuitive notions of infinitesimals will make calculus MUCH easier to make sense of (plus they'll help you in physics courses, where familiarity with infinitesimals is often taken for granted.). If you're interested in this approach, I'd recommend Calculus Made Easy by Silvanus Thompson, a short little book which is a century old but is still as relevant as ever. Or Calculus Without Limits by John C. Sparks, if you want a more conventional textbook.

That the derivatives in Leibniz notation cannot be naively understood as fractions is obvious from identities like:
[tex]\frac{\partial{x}}{\partial{y}}\frac{\partial{y}}{\partial{z}}\frac{\partial{z}}{\partial{x}}=-1[/tex]
:smile:

arildno said:
That the derivatives in Leibniz notation cannot be naively understood as fractions is obvious from identities like:
[tex]\frac{\partial{x}}{\partial{y}}\frac{\partial{y}}{\partial{z}}\frac{\partial{z}}{\partial{x}}=-1[/tex]
:smile:
That's just because the notation we use for partial derivatives is a bit misleading, but we can still think of partial derivatives as ratios of infinitesimals. For instance, [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} = \frac{f(x+dx,y)-f(x,y)}{dx}[/tex]. If we use definitions like this, the formula you gave makes perfect sense.

if dy/dx = dy divided by dx which is 0/0.

as earlier posts said it is just a symbol its behave like it is "dy divided by dx". but its not.

ManishR said:
if dy/dx = dy divided by dx which is 0/0.

as earlier posts said it is just a symbol its behave like it is "dy divided by dx". but its not.
No, it represents an infinitely small quantity divided by an infinitely small quantity, which is NOT the same as 0/0.

lugita15 said:
No, it represents an infinitely small quantity divided by an infinitely small quantity, which is NOT the same as 0/0.

[tex]\frac{df(x)}{dx}=\lim_{h\rightarrow0}\frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}[/tex]

h is not infinitely small.

i always find it {}``non-mathematical'' and confusing.

infintely small = smallest difference = 0

h is a variable such as

[tex]h\in R-\{0\}[/tex]

ManishR said:
[tex]\frac{df(x)}{dx}=\lim_{h\rightarrow0}\frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}[/tex]

h is not infinitely small.

i always find it {}``non-mathematical'' and confusing.

infintely small = smallest difference = 0

h is a variable such as

[tex]h\in R-\{0\}[/tex]
Look up nonstandard analysis, or just read Calculus Made Easy.

lugita15 said:

Wait, so if dx is infinitely small and it is multiplied into a function wouldn't that make the function also infinitely small?

Leibniz notation is something that has been baffling me lately, I think I am going to have to read the Silvanus Thompson book you suggested.

1. What is the significance of Leibniz's notation for derivatives?

Leibniz's notation for derivatives is significant because it allows for a more intuitive understanding of the relationship between a function and its derivative. It also allows for a more efficient and compact way of representing and manipulating mathematical expressions involving derivatives.

2. How does Leibniz's notation differ from other notations for derivatives?

Leibniz's notation differs from other notations, such as Newton's notation, in that it uses the symbol "d" to represent the infinitesimal change in the function and the symbol "dx" to represent an infinitesimal change in the independent variable. This notation also uses the fraction format, making it easier to understand the concept of the derivative as a ratio of infinitesimal changes.

3. Can Leibniz's notation be used for higher-order derivatives?

Yes, Leibniz's notation can be used for higher-order derivatives. The notation for a second derivative is written as "d²y/dx²" and for a third derivative as "d³y/dx³". This notation can be extended to any order of derivative, making it a versatile and widely used notation in calculus.

4. Are there any limitations to using Leibniz's notation for derivatives?

One limitation of Leibniz's notation is that it does not explicitly show the variable with respect to which the derivative is being taken. This can be confusing when working with multivariable functions. In these cases, other notations, such as the partial derivative notation, may be more suitable.

5. Did Leibniz create this notation on his own?

No, Leibniz did not create this notation on his own. The concept of the derivative had already been developed by Newton, and Leibniz's notation was inspired by Newton's notation. However, Leibniz's notation is considered more intuitive and practical, and it has become the standard notation used in calculus today.