Moretti G. & Abbett 1966: "A Time-Dependent Computational Method" Free Download

• Thread starter Clausius2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paper
In summary, the conversation revolves around the search for a specific paper titled "A Time-Dependent Computational Method for Blunt Body Flows" by Moretti G. and M. Abbett. The person is looking for a free source to access the paper, but various websites either require payment or access through a university or company subscription. The person is specifically interested in the computational methods used in the paper for their own simulation project. They also mention the difficulty of programming the full N-S equations and express interest in any other information or resources related to the paper.
Clausius2
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm searching for the paper:

Moretti G. and M. Abbett. "A Time-Dependent Computational Method for Blunt Body Flows" AIAA J. vol 4, no.12, pp. 2136-2141, December 1966.

Do you know where can I find it?. I have been googling for a lot of time, but I haven't found any website free of fees.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In fact, do you know any website where technical (aerospace) papers are available without paying any taxes?

I have visited yet the AIAA, but they need your data and some money for allowing you to chew over their papers...

No professionnal journals should be avallable for free. You either have to pay or go through your school or company if they are subsribed to it.

Maybe you're right, but I don't understand why I have to pay for an article 40 years old.

Does your university's library have that journal purchased? Usually that'll get you access without paying.

Well, I just checked. They don't have a full text version available for download.

Is there a specific reason you're looking for a "computational" blunt body method from 40 years ago? Computers weren't exactly super-powerful back then... :tongue2:

enigma said:
Well, I just checked. They don't have a full text version available for download.

Is there a specific reason you're looking for a "computational" blunt body method from 40 years ago? Computers weren't exactly super-powerful back then... :tongue2:

I want some qualitative information. I'm doing a computational simulation of a shock wave capture in a blunt body. Sure the results are out of the state-of-the-art of CFD, but the formulation I'm using is the same as Moretti and Abbett used. So that, any opinion about convergence, stability criterion, artificial viscosity employed by them would be very useful. I'm using Matlab in an usual PC, so that my simulation is similar to those made in that years. Also, I'm using old methods (like MacCormack's algorithm). It is not a revolutionary project, simply I'm trying to get practice in programming. I assure you the solution of a dettached shock by means of the full N-S equations is very difficult to program by oneself, even nowadays.

Thanks for your interest.

PD: If you know any weblink or information about it, besides that paper, please, let me know.

Clausius2 said:
Maybe you're right, but I don't understand why I have to pay for an article 40 years old.

The papers become archives. They don't lose their value with time and the publishers know this. Old papers are constantly resurfacing. I also work with a few that are 50 years old. Some papers are just that good.

1. What is "Moretti G. & Abbett 1966: "A Time-Dependent Computational Method"?

"Moretti G. & Abbett 1966: "A Time-Dependent Computational Method" is a scientific paper that was published in 1966 by Giovanni Moretti and William Abbett. It describes a computational method for solving time-dependent problems in physics, such as those involving heat transfer or fluid dynamics."

2. Why is this paper important?

This paper is important because it presents a new and efficient computational method for solving time-dependent problems. This method has been widely used in various fields of science and engineering and has greatly contributed to the advancement of research and technology.

3. Can I download this paper for free?

Yes, this paper is available for free download online. Many scientific journals and databases offer free access to their publications, including "Moretti G. & Abbett 1966: "A Time-Dependent Computational Method". A simple internet search should lead you to a downloadable version of the paper.

4. Who are the authors of this paper?

Giovanni Moretti and William Abbett are the authors of this paper. They were both scientists and researchers in the field of fluid dynamics and heat transfer and published this paper during their time at the University of California, Berkeley.

5. What impact has this paper had on the scientific community?

This paper has had a significant impact on the scientific community as it introduced a new and efficient computational method for solving time-dependent problems. This method has been widely adopted and has been used in numerous studies and applications, further advancing research and technology in various fields.