How Does an Elevator's Acceleration Affect Spring Balance Readings?

However, from the given information, it can be concluded that the elevator is accelerating upwards with a magnitude of 0.98 m/s^2 (g/10) and that the pulley and string are light weight and smooth. Using the equation F=ma, the tension on the string of the 1.5 kg load can be calculated as 16.7 - 3a, and the tension on the string of the 3 kg load can be calculated as 32.34 + 3a. Further calculations are needed to solve the question. In summary, the problem involves finding the reading of the spring balance shown in the figure, with an elevator accelerating upwards and light weight, smooth pulley and
AlchemistK

Homework Statement

Find the reading of the spring balance shown in the figure (see attachment). The elevator is going up with an acceleration of g/10 , the pulley and the string are light weight and the pulley is smooth.

Homework Equations

F= ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the elevator is accelerating upwards with a magnitude of 0.98 m/s^2 (g/10) , the acceleration acting on the items in the elevator should be g+g/10 = 10.78 m/s^2.
By assuming that the 3k load has a relative acceleration of "a", the tension on the string of the 1.5 kg load will be
16.7 - 3a
While on the 3kg load it will be
32.34 + 3a

I'm sure i have made a blunder somewhere up here, yet i can't seem to find it. How do i further solve the question?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe it's just me, but I can't locate the attached image

What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a grooved wheel and a rope or cable. It is used to change the direction of a force, making it easier to lift or move heavy objects.

How does a pulley work?

A pulley works by using the principle of mechanical advantage. The pulley's grooved wheel allows the rope or cable to move freely, reducing the amount of force needed to lift an object. By using multiple pulleys, the force required to lift an object can be further reduced.

What are the different types of pulleys?

There are three main types of pulleys: fixed, movable, and compound. Fixed pulleys are attached to a structure and do not move, while movable pulleys are attached to the object being lifted and move with it. Compound pulleys combine both fixed and movable pulleys to provide the greatest mechanical advantage.

What are some real-life applications of pulleys?

Pulleys are used in a variety of everyday objects, such as elevators, cranes, and flagpoles. They are also commonly used in exercise equipment, window blinds, and even some musical instruments.

Are there any safety considerations when using pulleys?

Yes, it is important to use caution when working with pulleys, especially when lifting heavy objects. Always make sure the pulley is securely attached and that the rope or cable is in good condition. It is also important to wear appropriate safety gear, such as gloves, when handling pulleys.