How can I calculate core losses given only frequency?

In summary: Then just plug in your known values of n (and f_1) to get the losses. In summary, this paper and its references should help you to calculate the eddy and hysteresis losses in a material.
jrp051680
I cannot seem to figure this out. I know total core losses at 120Hz and 60Hz are 100w and 32w respectively for some unknown constant ac voltage. I can't seem to figure out how to go about finding core losses at other frequencies or separating eddy and hysteresis losses. Can anybody shed some light on this for me?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I used the search terms: "core losses" steinmetz

and found this paper: http://people.clarkson.edu/~pillayp/c28.pdf

The paper and its references should help you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply. The problem I am having is that I don't know the max flux density Bm or what the core material is to be able to calculate Ke, Kh or n. There has to be a simple answer to this that I must be overlooking and its driving me crazy. Thanks for the link.

Is this a real world problem or an exercise (book problem)? I'd try the following approach for a somewhat simplistic (as in my not be completely accurate for a real world problem) solution.

The eddy current loss component is usually modeled as proportional to [itex]B^2 f^2[/itex] and the hysteresis loss component as proportional to [itex]B^{1.6} f^1[/itex]. Here however the B^1.6 term is only a fairly rough approximation and different materials may use a slightly different constant (to 1.6) there. In any case, if we take the above relationships as correct then we can find a fairly simple solution.

[tex]P_L = k_1 B^2 f^2 + k_2 B^{1.6} f^1[/tex]

It's also approximately true that at constant voltage the flux will be inversely proportional to frequency.

So,

[tex] P_L(n) = k_1 \left( \frac{B_1}{n} \right)^2 (n f_1)^2 +k_2 \left( \frac{B_1}{n} \right)^{1.6} (n f_1)^2 [/tex]

You don't know B but you do know that for a given voltage that B_1 is a constant so you can lump it (and f_1) with the constants k1 and k2 to get the above into a simple function of "n" (and of course the two lumped constants that you can determine from your two data points).

Last edited:

1. How do I calculate core losses using only the frequency?

To calculate core losses, you will need to know the frequency and the core loss coefficient. The core loss coefficient is a constant value that is specific to the type of core material being used. Once you have these two values, you can use the following formula to calculate core losses: Core Loss = Core Loss Coefficient x Frequency

2. Can I use the same formula for all types of core materials?

No, the core loss coefficient will vary depending on the type of core material being used. Different materials have different properties and characteristics that will affect their core loss. Therefore, it is important to use the correct core loss coefficient for the specific type of core material being used.

3. Is there a standard unit for core losses?

Yes, the standard unit for core losses is watts (W). This unit represents the amount of energy that is lost in the core material due to hysteresis and eddy currents. It is important to note that core losses are typically small and are often measured in milliwatts (mW) or microwatts (μW).

4. How accurate is the calculation of core losses using this formula?

The accuracy of the calculation will depend on the accuracy of the core loss coefficient used and the frequency measured. It is important to use reliable data and to ensure that the frequency is measured accurately. Other factors, such as temperature and voltage, may also affect the accuracy of the calculation.

5. Can I use this formula for all frequencies?

Yes, this formula can be used for all frequencies, as long as the frequency is within the operating range of the core material. However, it is important to note that the core loss coefficient may vary at different frequencies, so it is best to use the coefficient specific to the frequency being used for the most accurate calculation.