Work & Friction: Solve for Force, Work, & Speed

In summary, the conversation is about understanding friction force and how to calculate the work done by a force of friction. The conversation also involves finding the final speed of a block dragged over a rough surface. The work done by the force of friction is 8405.82346 J and the final speed can be calculated by determining the time it takes for the block to move 78.6 m.
lostinthespiral
I am having real trouble understanding friction force. Work I understand. I just don't know how to put them together. Some help would be highly appreciated.

A 16.1 kg block is dragged over a rough, horizontal surface by a constant force of 118 N acting at an angle of 25 degrees above the horizontal. The block is displaced 78.6 m, and the coeficient of kinetic friction is 0.228. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2.

a.) Find the work done by the 118 N force. Answer in units of J. - I've already found this to be 8405.82346 J

b.) Find the work done by the force of friction. Answer in units of J.

c.) If the block was originally at rest, determine its final speed. Answer in units of m/s2.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Net work done on object = (horizontal component of 118 - frictional force) * distance

Net work done on object = change in kinetic energy (work-energy theorem)

lostinthespiral said:
I am having real trouble understanding friction force. Work I understand. I just don't know how to put them together. Some help would be highly appreciated.

A 16.1 kg block is dragged over a rough, horizontal surface by a constant force of 118 N acting at an angle of 25 degrees above the horizontal. The block is displaced 78.6 m, and the coeficient of kinetic friction is 0.228. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2.

a.) Find the work done by the force of friction. Answer in units of J. - I've already found this to be 8405.82346 J

b.) Find the work done by the force of friction. Answer in units of J.

c.) If the block was originally at rest, determine its final speed. Answer in units of m/s2.

Please,review both the text (the first question and the second are identical),and the result to your first calculation.
For the third,compute the time in which the body moves along those 78,6 m and from there,u can find the velocity.

Alright. Fixed.

1. What is the relationship between work and friction?

The relationship between work and friction is that friction is a force that opposes motion, and therefore, it requires work to overcome it. The amount of work done is directly proportional to the amount of friction present.

2. How can I calculate the force required to overcome friction?

To calculate the force required to overcome friction, you can use the formula F = μN, where F is the force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force. The normal force is the force that is perpendicular to the surface and is equal to the weight of the object.

3. What is the equation for work and how does friction affect it?

The equation for work is W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance. When friction is present, the force acting on the object will be greater, and therefore, the work done will also be larger. This means that more energy is required to overcome friction.

4. Can friction affect an object's speed?

Yes, friction can affect an object's speed. Friction acts in the opposite direction of motion, which means it will slow down the object. This means that if an object is moving and friction is present, it will require more force to maintain its speed.

5. How can I solve for speed when given the force and work in a frictional system?

To solve for speed, you can use the formula v = √(2Fd/m), where v is speed, F is force, d is distance, and m is the mass of the object. This formula takes into account the work done, force applied, and the mass of the object to determine the speed at which it will move in a frictional system.