Extra white space when inserting EPS figures in Word 2010

• Thread starter Fat Ryan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, the white line segment off to the left caused the excess white space to show up in Word 2010 when trying to insert an EPS figure.
Fat Ryan
Extra "white space" when inserting EPS figures in Word 2010

I am writing a report on my research, and I need to insert Matlab plots and various other images using EPS format for maximum image quality. My plots from Matlab must first be exported to Illustrator for annotation before inserting them into my report. I'm having a problem with excess "white space" showing up once the EPS is inserted in Word. The AI artboard is scaled to fit the image, but that does not seem to change anything. Below is an example of what an embedded image looks like in Word. This figure is something I created in AI and was not exported from Matlab. Excess white space appears to the left and beneath the image. I've tried using Word's cropping tools. They will crop the image. However, when the file is converted to PDF, the original EPS dimensions are used to make the conversion. Am I missing something here? I've searched through AI settings 10 times over, and I can't find anything that will make a difference. I've Googled the issue and can't seem to find anyone that has the same problem. I tried restarting Word & AI, but that did not help.

Attachments

• EPS problem.jpg
    EPS problem.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 582
Physics news on Phys.org

I don't have any experience with AI, but EPS figures have a thing called a "bounding box". I know that often gives LaTeX users trouble, maybe you can look around to see if AI has a setting to fix the bounding box?

Thanks for the reply.

I found the problem and feel like a fool. There was a tiny white line segment off to the left that I couldn't see because the artboard is white. Thats what was screwing everything up! And the reason it was a problem on multiple figures is because I simply copied then edited the original figure to save time. Ugh, I wasted like 4 hours on this :/

1. Can extra white space affect the placement of EPS figures in Word 2010?

Yes, extra white space can affect the placement of EPS figures in Word 2010. When inserting an EPS figure, the white space around it can push it off-center or cause it to overlap with other elements in your document.

2. How can I fix the issue of extra white space when inserting EPS figures in Word 2010?

To fix this issue, you can adjust the margins and alignment of your document to ensure that there is enough space for the EPS figure. You can also crop the image to remove any excess white space before inserting it into your document.

3. What is the recommended size for EPS figures in Word 2010 to avoid extra white space?

The recommended size for EPS figures in Word 2010 is between 3-4 inches in width. This size ensures that the figure is large enough to be visible, but not too large that it takes up unnecessary space and causes extra white space issues.

4. Can changing the file format of the EPS figure help with extra white space in Word 2010?

Yes, changing the file format of the EPS figure to a more compatible format, such as PNG or JPEG, can help reduce extra white space issues in Word 2010. These formats are more flexible and allow for better placement and resizing of images in a Word document.

5. Is there a way to avoid extra white space when inserting multiple EPS figures in Word 2010?

Yes, you can avoid extra white space when inserting multiple EPS figures in Word 2010 by using the "Wrap Text" feature. This allows you to control how text and images interact with each other, and can help prevent unwanted white space from appearing.