Simplifying multiple trig functions into a single trig function for physics II

In summary, the problem of simplifying sin(X)/sin(X/2) can be solved using the double angle and half angle identities for trigonometric functions. By using the half angle identity for sine, it can be shown that sin(X)/sin(X/2) simplifies to 2*cos(X/2), which can then be further simplified using algebraic manipulation.
Blueban

Homework Statement

It has been a while since I have really been involved in trig seriously, But I felt it appropriate to go in this particular forum because in my classes from years back "precal" was the title associated with trig (:

The Problem:

sin(X) / sin(X/2) ----->Somehow simplifies into-----> 2*cos(x/2)

I realize this is probably a basic skill I should have, but until this problem I have never really had issues with any of the math in my physics classes, But perhaps I am just looking in the wrong places for the "How" of this situation.

Homework Equations

I am 100% sure of the accuracy of this relation, since it was derived from wolfram and then used to answer a refraction physics question which came back correct. I would just like to know where I can look so I can learn how this simplification is possible that I may do this on my own without help.

Thanks!

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried looking at relevant trig Identities...but none of them seem to apply here..seems there is some *tricky* stuff here as my calculus teachers always said haha d:

Physics news on Phys.org
Blueban said:

Homework Statement

It has been a while since I have really been involved in trig seriously, But I felt it appropriate to go in this particular forum because in my classes from years back "precal" was the title associated with trig (:

The Problem:

sin(X) / sin(X/2) ----->Somehow simplifies into-----> 2*cos(x/2)

I realize this is probably a basic skill I should have, but until this problem I have never really had issues with any of the math in my physics classes, But perhaps I am just looking in the wrong places for the "How" of this situation.

Homework Equations

I am 100% sure of the accuracy of this relation, since it was derived from wolfram and then used to answer a refraction physics question which came back correct. I would just like to know where I can look so I can learn how this simplification is possible that I may do this on my own without help.

Thanks!

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried looking at relevant trig Identities...but none of them seem to apply here..seems there is some *tricky* stuff here as my calculus teachers always said haha d:

http://www.sosmath.com/trig/douangl/douangl.html

Covers the double-angle formulae. From these, the half-angle formulae can be simply derived (can you see how?). Scroll down till you see the half-angle formula for sine.

you would need to do some algebraic manipulation. I'll start it out for you...

2cos(x/2) = 2 * ((1 + cosx)/2)^1/2 (half angle identity)
= 4(1+cosx)/2 by squaring.

Then multiply top and bottom by (1-cosx) and reduce to get

(2(1-(cos x)^2) / (1-cosx)

You will eventually get (sinx)^2/(1/2-1/2cosx) and then you will take the root of top and bottom and use the half angle identity to arrive at your answer.

You can do this a lot of ways, but probably the easiest is to write sin(x)=sin(2*(x/2)). Then use sin(2*a)=2*sin(a)*cos(a).

1. How do I simplify multiple trig functions into a single trig function for physics II?

To simplify multiple trig functions into a single trig function for physics II, you can use trigonometric identities, such as the Pythagorean identities, the sum and difference identities, and the double angle identities. These identities can help you rewrite the multiple trig functions into a single trig function, making it easier to solve problems in physics II.

2. What are the most commonly used trigonometric identities for simplifying multiple trig functions?

The most commonly used trigonometric identities for simplifying multiple trig functions are the Pythagorean identities, which include sin^2x + cos^2x = 1 and tan^2x + 1 = sec^2x. The sum and difference identities, such as sin(x + y) = sinxcosy + cosxsiny and cos(x - y) = cosxcosy + sinxsiny, are also frequently used. Additionally, the double angle identities, like sin2x = 2sinxcosx and cos2x = cos^2x - sin^2x, can also be helpful.

3. Can I use these trigonometric identities to simplify any trig function?

Yes, you can use these trigonometric identities to simplify any trig function. However, it is important to note that some trig functions may require multiple steps and the use of multiple identities to be fully simplified.

4. Are there any tips for simplifying multiple trig functions more efficiently?

One tip for simplifying multiple trig functions more efficiently is to first look for common factors that can be factored out, as this may make the rest of the simplification process easier. Additionally, practicing and familiarizing yourself with the various trigonometric identities can also help you simplify multiple trig functions more quickly.

5. Can I use a calculator to simplify multiple trig functions?

While some calculators may have a function for simplifying trigonometric expressions, it is recommended to simplify multiple trig functions by hand in order to fully understand the process and develop problem-solving skills. Additionally, simplifying by hand allows you to check your work and catch any potential errors.